Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
aristoxenus
Human being with feelings

Default EastWest keyswitches

In EastWest the keyswitch articulations only contain a limited number of articulations. If I am running Hollywood Strings I am limited to about seven articulations. What do I do if I want to use a different articulation such as pizz.

There is Reaticulate that allows for some articulations but there is no bank as yet for Hollywood Strings. Does anyone know of a simpler way to set up keyswitches for EastWest in Reaper? EastWest has no way to build keyswitch routines.

Has anyone else faced this problem?

Tom Wagner
aristoxenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
DarkStar

I'm not 100% clear about what you want to do.

Not all of the instrument use key-switches, but the pic on p28 in the EWQL HS manual shows 14+ key-switches.

Don't you just map them to keys, then press the appropriate key?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
aristoxenus

Default reply

The Play 6 manual mentions Master and Elements instruments. I don't see either one when I load Reaper. I think my trouble may be that I cannot access the Master instruments list. How do I get the Master articulations to load?

Tom Wagner

Windows 7 Pro
32 GB memory
Old 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
aristoxenus

Default how to map

I feel rather dumb but how do I map the key switches to a key as per your reply?

Tom Wagner
Old 08-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoxenus View Post
In EastWest the keyswitch articulations only contain a limited number of articulations. If I am running Hollywood Strings I am limited to about seven articulations. What do I do if I want to use a different articulation such as pizz.

There is Reaticulate that allows for some articulations but there is no bank as yet for Hollywood Strings. Does anyone know of a simpler way to set up keyswitches for EastWest in Reaper? EastWest has no way to build keyswitch routines.

Tom Wagner

The short and simple answer is that you cannot create custom keyswitches in Play. I've been using EW for over a decade now, and years ago there was talk about a "Play Pro" which you could customize, but that's one of those projects that have yet to see the light of day.

In practical terms, you just use another track for your pizz and other effects. My orchestral template has hundreds of tracks for everything you could imagine, across all 4 groups (ww / brass / percussion / strings, including solo instruments).

Personally I don't like keyswitches, they don't give me enough control over what I want.

You can still create your custom multis with your favorite techniques / expressions, all loaded in one instance of Play, and then send midi on different channels.

The big thing about all this is to create a system that makes sense to you, such, that understand the big picture of your template and do not get lost in the millions of different articulations / techniques / instruments / audio - midi - reverb channels and busses. Sounds simple but this can be quite a pickle. I recommend working this out and spending a good deal of time on it. There's nothing more frustrating than having a half baked template when you're on a project deadline, and some weird shit happens and you don't know what is causing it.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
DynamicK

I run HS and HB this way: I have as many articulations as I need (max would be 16) and assign each one to a different Midi Channel in a Multi. I have multis for each section....1 French horn,2 French Horns, 6 Horns, etc. etc.
You can then switch articulations by changing the Midi Channel. I don't use Reaticulate, but I'm sure it will work that way. At the moment I am using Inspector by Stéphane F. I found, as it uses normal Reabanks, it was way easier to make my own "Expression Maps".
Maybe when tack finishes the Bank Editor for Reaticulate, I'll switch.
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
aristoxenus

Default Thanks for tips

I was hanging on to keyswitches. I can now see that there may be better methods. Again thanks to all

Tom Wagner
Old 07-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
hotzmarino

Default East West Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoxenus View Post

Tom Wagner
I'm WIP on it. It works perfectly with Play 6. When it will be finished I'll shared it here.
hotzmarino is offline   Reply With Quote