Old 01-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #161
TBProAudio
Human being with feelings

Default Update to V3

Hello,

I wish you all a happy and healthy new year.
And thank you for supporting me during the year 2017.

In the quiet days I had some time to look at some raising topics in the mixing/mastering area. Following topic caught my attention just want to share with you: delta signal monitoring (https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...78819#p6974572)

It basically means that you listen to what the audio plugin is doing (input signal minus output signal). This could be very useful during test of compressor/limiter settings.
Unfortunately only a few plugins have this monitoring mode implemented, so I played a little bit with the source code of AB_LM JSFX.
I changed the parameter “bypass” to “monitor” with 3 modes: Pre FX (formerly bypass on), Post FX (formerly bypass off) and the new Delta FX.
You can download V3 from my website (http://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/download.html)

Usage of new “Delta FX” mode:

1) “Sandwich” your plugin of interest with AB_LM JSFX
2) Setup the plugin
3) Click on “Sync PDC” just to get the plugin delay right
4) Switch monitor mode to “Delta FX”

Depending on your limiter/compressor and its settings you may hear some pumping. This should be “normal” for a limiter/compressor.
But if you hear crackles you should look closer to your plugin settings. These crackles are in your “normal” output signal as well, but you may not notice them.

So, enjoy “Delta FX” monitoring and share your experience.

Last edited by TBProAudio; 01-06-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typos
TBProAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #162
JHughes
Banned

Awesome, thank you!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #163
RedStone

hooray! I love ab_lm ... now even more!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #164
RJHollins

Will check out v3.

I use these in every session.

THANKS
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #165
Gianfini

really really great!!!

just a little point from my side: since i'm using it in every mixing session and almost every decision I do, I thought that a BUTTON rather than a drop down list for bypass on and off would have been easier e.g. for blind testing an FX

Now it has three states so it cannot be a button ... but can you think about it for a future releases? Maybe a combination of button and list somehow...

then need is to do quick blind tests

thanks!

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:11 AM   #166
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
really really great!!!

just a little point from my side: since i'm using it in every mixing session and almost every decision I do, I thought that a BUTTON rather than a drop down list for bypass on and off would have been easier e.g. for blind testing an FX

Now it has three states so it cannot be a button ... but can you think about it for a future releases? Maybe a combination of button and list somehow...

then need is to do quick blind tests

thanks!

g
well, on top you have the drop down menu. The bottom graphics area has a clickable button on the left side: left mouse click forward, right mouse click backward.
So you still can switch with one click between PreFX and Post FX signal
Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #167
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
well, on top you have the drop down menu. The bottom graphics area has a clickable button on the left side: left mouse click forward, right mouse click backward.
So you still can switch with one click between PreFX and Post FX signal
didn't notice it before! Yes that's good. not for blind test because now it's a three state button so to go back and forth only between pre and post one would have to use left-right mouse button rather than clicking the same button... but ok usable anyway for quick swithcing

g
Old 01-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #168
casrya

Hi TB thanks for the update to this already very useful tool

This also reminded me that the drive/analyse button in the gfx segment of the AutoGain control JSFX does not work (but the dropdown slider does).

I think this is because the @slider block is not called when you set the slider9 value programmatically.

I fixed it by copying the pre_gain_val and post_gain_val assignments lines from @slider into the doSwitchDC conditional block but just letting you know anyway

P.S I think @slider was automatically called upon assignment once upon a time (maybe back in reaper 4?) but in my own JSFX code I just write a function for the slider handling then call that function from @slider and also whenever I change a slider programmatically.
casrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #169
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by casrya View Post
I think this is because the @slider block is not called when you set the slider9 value programmatically.
Thank you for this, but at leat for me it still works in Reaper 4 and 5.
What do you mean with "programmatically"?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #170
casrya

Quote:
Thank you for this, but at leat for me it still works in Reaper 4 and 5.
What do you mean with "programmatically"?
By programmatically I just mean assigning the slider in code e.g. slider9 = 1 as opposed to user sets it via the JSFX slider in the UI

But yes that's interesting that it works on your setup, since it never worked for me from way back when I first used it since I made a note about it at the time so I wouldn't forget and I just checked I do have the latest version from the web site (dated 12 Sept 2015) .. I also just tried it on a portable install and got same result so doesn't seem to be related to my setup.

Since it works ok for you and no one else has reported it, it may just be one of life's little mysteries

But a bit more detail just to clarify in case there is a misunderstanding, if I switch to analyse from the JSFX graphical GUI button/text and then change reference level and switch back to drive nothing happens. However if I then move any of the JSFX sliders the drive level is then set correctly. In contrast if I follow the same process but use the JSFX dropdown slider for analyze/drive then it set the reference level straight away after I switch to drive.

In my case this is because the call to set slider9 in the @gfx section is not resulting in the @slider block being called as confirmed by placing a counter and observing whether it increments in the JSFX ide watch list (when I click the analyse/drive button/text). On the other hand the @slider section is executed when the JSFX dropdown slider (or any other slider) is changed.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look at this.
casrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #171
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
didn't notice it before! Yes that's good. not for blind test because now it's a three state button so to go back and forth only between pre and post one would have to use left-right mouse button rather than clicking the same button... but ok usable anyway for quick swithcing

g
OK, we got the point:-)
We changed it back to old function (2 states) and made an extra control for delta monitoring (Version 3.1, available for download).
Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #172
amagalma

Thank you TBProAudio!

It works better for blind-testing. But as it is now, the Delta Monitor mode cannot be seen in the graphic and cannot be enabled bu clicking there.

I would propose this: (if you find it interesting and have time to do it)
- the active mode (PRE, POST or DELTA) should always be visible in the graphic, as you had it in v3.0
- left clicking on the mode button in the graphic, toggles between PRE and POST modes, as it is now in v3.1 and as it used to be in v2+
- right clicking on the mode button in the graphic, toggles between PRE/POST and DELTA modes

What do you think?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #173
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Thank you TBProAudio!

It works better for blind-testing. But as it is now, the Delta Monitor mode cannot be seen in the graphic and cannot be enabled bu clicking there.

I would propose this: (if you find it interesting and have time to do it)
- the active mode (PRE, POST or DELTA) should always be visible in the graphic, as you had it in v3.0
- left clicking on the mode button in the graphic, toggles between PRE and POST modes, as it is now in v3.1 and as it used to be in v2+
- right clicking on the mode button in the graphic, toggles between PRE/POST and DELTA modes

What do you think?
Sounds good to me. I will change it :-)

Edit: OK, again, i have to rethink if this makes really sense as described, as a lot of users like to just click one simple button for pre/post without "thinking". So "delta" should get an extra button in the graphics area...

Last edited by TBProAudio; 01-19-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #174
amagalma

Thanks so much!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #175
Gianfini

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I will change it :-)

Edit: OK, again, i have to rethink if this makes really sense as described, as a lot of users like to just click one simple button for pre/post without "thinking". So "delta" should get an extra button in the graphics area...
Then just keep it three state and add an additional button that toggles between pre and post only. Just call it pre-post blind test. It will override and commnad over the three state when used
Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #176
RJHollins

just following the thread ...

my only comment ... toggling Left/Right mouse button design turned to confusion for me [I'm but a simple man :|].

It's nice to have different functions available ... but a simple BYPASS button click is a common standard, ingrained into most workflow.

I had to go back to earlier version for practical use.

just my 1/2 cent.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #177
TBProAudio

V3.1b available for download.
- ABFX button behaviour reverted to pre 3.0, means 2 state button again
- Add. delta monitoring button in graphics area
- small fixes
Old 01-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #178
David Else

TBProAudio, thanks for being awesome
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #179
heavymetalmixer

A suggestion: I know that this plugin has the prefilter for loudness matching according to the ITU-R BS.1770-2 algorithm, but could you update this plugin with the ITU-R BS.1770-4 version or the EBU Tech 3341? Or there's no improvement in that?
heavymetalmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #180
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalmixer View Post
A suggestion: I know that this plugin has the prefilter for loudness matching according to the ITU-R BS.1770-2 algorithm, but could you update this plugin with the ITU-R BS.1770-4 version or the EBU Tech 3341? Or there's no improvement in that?
Both ITU-R BS.1770-2 and ITU-R BS.1770-4 use the standard K-filter. This has not been changed from ITU-R BS.1770-2 to ITU-R BS.1770-4

So yes, the pre filter (K-filter) used in AB_LM JSFX is according to the ITU-R BS.1770-4!

Any yes, i will update it! Thank you for the hint.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #181
oredson

Default JSFX script

Sorry for asking nubee question, where do I put these scripts in Reaper?
oredson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #182
Opcode 7

Open a new Explorer Window (Windows Key + E). Then at the address bar at the top, type in %APPDATA%\REAPER

OR, You can open REAPER, and in the the Options Menu -> "Show REAPER resource path in Explorer/Finder"

I placed the scripts in the "Effects" directory, in a new folder I created called "Gain"

When you start up REAPER, you should see them in your plugins list.

You want to insert the "Matching Source" JSFX at a place in the audio chain where you want the audio volume to be matched too, and then the "Matching Control" at the point where you want to restore the volume level too.

(See Attachment)

This plugin is amzaaaiaizniznignignging, tb sir, you are a god among mortals, thank you so much!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png FX_Ordering.PNG (11.6 KB, 236 views)
Opcode 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #183
Osse

Hello TBProAudio, thank you for a great product in this JSFX plugin! I'm using it in every project these days.

One question, is it possible to decrease the reaction-time of the leveling? I've reduced the RMS window to 0 and it still does not react instantly. Optimal circumstances would be if I would not be able to hear a reduction in volume at all in real-time while working with compressors and equalisers, even at rather extreme settings and fast workpace.

I'm not very skilled with code but if it's a simple edit within the JSFX code I maybe could do it

Thanks
Osse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #184
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osse View Post
Hello TBProAudio, thank you for a great product in this JSFX plugin! I'm using it in every project these days.

One question, is it possible to decrease the reaction-time of the leveling? I've reduced the RMS window to 0 and it still does not react instantly. Optimal circumstances would be if I would not be able to hear a reduction in volume at all in real-time while working with compressors and equalisers, even at rather extreme settings and fast workpace.

I'm not very skilled with code but if it's a simple edit within the JSFX code I maybe could do it

Thanks
Oh, it seems that I screwed up the RMS windowing during one of the last updates. Latest version 3.2 should fix this. Now available on our website.Sorry :-)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #185
heavymetalmixer

Quote:
Oh, it seems that I screwed up the RMS windowing during one of the last updates. Latest version 3.2 should fix this. Now available on our website.Sorry :-)
Hi, I just downloaded the new version but the manual and Reaper still still say 3.1b, why?
heavymetalmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #186
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalmixer View Post
Hi, I just downloaded the new version but the manual and Reaper still still say 3.1b, why?
Right, manual says 3.1 but plug-ins say V3.2. Just open the plug-ins with any text-editor:-)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #187
Osse

Quote:
Wow... I've been working with 2.8 all the time with a serious delay at the level matching, now this plugin works like a dream! Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #188
amagalma

With v3.2 the Diff RMS Avg and the corresponding Post Gain jump up and down like crazy! I think you broke something!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #189
RJHollins

Confirmed. V3.2 is jumping all over the place. Cannot use it for the intended purpose.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:10 AM   #190
Osse

Would the jumping only be a problem when dialing compression or even with equaliser changes? I have a hard time wrapping my head around what post-gain behaviour would be reliable when dialing compression and equalisation..

What confuses me is that (I think) I heard a very prominent compression effect when I tried it yesterday even if the post gain jumped like crazy, gonna have to examine this in greater detail later today.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:16 AM   #191
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
With v3.2 the Diff RMS Avg and the corresponding Post Gain jump up and down like crazy! I think you broke something!
well yes, sorry. I made an update to 3.2a. The speed of gain change is controlled by the parameter RMS Window ms.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #192
cjunekim

Quote:
well yes, sorry. I made an update to 3.2a. The speed of gain change is controlled by the parameter RMS Window ms.
Thank you for the update.

It seems like the Post Gain dB starts to work after about 1 seconds' of playback, even though Diff RMS Avg dB shows expected value almost right away from the start of the playback. So what I get is the AB level matching starts to work always 1 second later, no matter how I set the RMS window size.

See the following screencast. I put a volume adjustment plugin in between the source and control plugins, which lowers 6dB.

You can see it starts to work about 1 second later. The playback starting line was the red vertical line. It looks like there was a jump in the beginning in the screencast, but there isn't actually.

This is very incovenient and makes this wonderfuly plugin almost useless.

Anyway to solve this?

Last edited by cjunekim; 04-19-2018 at 06:06 AM.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #193
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post

This is very incovenient and makes this wonderfuly plugin almost useless.

Anyway to solve this?
Hmm, RMS with e.g. 300ms window needs 300 ms to be calculated. So we implemented 2 sec pause after start of playback before gain change is starting. Otherwise it could be that very high gain values are calculated especially if plugins with internal delay are sandwiched.

Let me think about this.

Last edited by TBProAudio; 04-19-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #194
cjunekim

Quote:
Hmm, RMS with e.g. 300ms window needs 300 ms to be calculated. So we implemented 2 sec pause after start of playback before gain change is starting. Otherwise it could be that very high gain values are calculated especially if plugins with internal delay are sandwiched.

Let me think about this.
Okay. One way to circumvent this -- quick and dirty though. If you restart the playback (usually from the same point), it would be wise to keep the Post Gain dB from the last playback session and use it (for the 2 seconds to recalculate it). Currently it is reset to 0 dB everytime I push playback.

I figured your AB LM(vst3 version) doesn't seem to need that 2 seconds. It was my impression.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #195
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
Okay. One way to circumvent this -- quick and dirty though. If you restart the playback (usually from the same point), it would be wise to keep the Post Gain dB from the last playback session and use it (for the 2 seconds to recalculate it). Currently it is reset to 0 dB everytime I push playback.

I figured your AB LM(vst3 version) doesn't seem to need that 2 seconds. It was my impression.
We already tried your idea, but it does not work under all conditions.
And yes: AB_LM VST does not work with start stop, so we need to handle possible asynchrony of measurement in AB_LM JSFX.

I sent you a PM with a possible solution.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #196
TBProAudio

Update to V3.2b:
Removed 2 sec pause after start of playback
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #197
amagalma

It works fine now! Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #198
Kurmo

It has probably been said in the thread already, but is the jsfx exactly the same / as good as the paid version, or is the paid version better somehow (better algo, better optimization, better processing or something)?
Kurmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #199
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmo View Post
It has probably been said in the thread already, but is the jsfx exactly the same / as good as the paid version, or is the paid version better somehow (better algo, better optimization, better processing or something)?

JSFX is basically the same as the paid version. Paid version adds more measurement methods like VU and gain staging.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #200
Kurmo

Thanks, that sounds very interesting
Kurmo is offline   Reply With Quote