Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #41
Billoon
Human being with feelings

I use REAPER on 3 different computers with XPx86, W7x64 and W8x64. All are 100% stable. Most projects are about 12 tracks, mainly audio, sometimes i use a drum VSTi and ampsims.

All OSs are stock, unmodded. Never found any need for any tweaking. If it ain't broke, why change anything.

Reaper never crashs here, ever. I would like to see what happens if all you change is your DAW, would be very surprised if the crashing stopped. My guess would be the plugins you're using. If you provided the crash logs Karbo requested, it would likely show something very usefull.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #42
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Can you please provide some crash logs?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653

That could really end the guessing and allow us to start some more or less structured troubleshooting. The important parts are the crash module and the offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I've been looking at the Reaper changelog and it could be that this instability my Reaper is experiencing crept in sometime in the early Reaper 4 versions, judging by dates. Latest v3 would possibly be a sure bet if I want a really stable Reaper, I guess.
The obvious test would be to check if a v3 version doesn't crash. However, since it's all a question of interaction/interdependency between various software components this could also be misleading - and if it crashes there too, it's still a quite meaningless confirmation that the problem must be something else, if it doesn't it still doesn't tell you what went wrong.

Quote:
After running some more tests now I'm sure it's not the computer.
It rarely is. But even if it was - synthetic hardware tests are not telling that much about how stable some specific software will run on it, beyond ruling out (to some degree) that there's a genuine hardware malfunction that could mess up things from the hardware side. In the DAW world, interaction with the hardware/BIOS/drivers is way more subtle than that - for example I know of a case where a (IIRC 3 year old) dying CMOS battery caused only REAPER to not see any audio interface (including onboard chip) anymore.

(Later, a user with the same mainboard experienced a similar problem and and fixed it by replacing the battery, so obviously that was really the culprit and not some weird coincidence on the first case. Not saying that your battery must be dead, this is just an example how weird things can become in a complex system like a DAW.)

The behavior of non-threadsafe plug-ins running in that DAW (which is one of the main suspects when things that used to work suddenly crash) is completely unpredictable, they can affect random system files or other plug-ins, but often after running well for years and really put you on the wrong track. Also, there have been sudden stability issues that could be tracked back to a slightly messed up reaper.ini over the course of many, many updates.

Another indication for a plug-in related problem are the BSODs you're getting. Please check the link above about that too, to check what exactly led to the BSOD. That crashing plug-ins take down a driver has been seen before with some drivers on XP (in particular in conjunction with ASIO4ALL, but not restricted to that) and drivers causing BSODs is what can cause a bad data loss/corruption experience like you had.

But finding out what really went wrong all starts with acquiring the crash data + conditions.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #43
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Sorry about your recent troubles (I only now just read the whole thread!), you don't have any midi controllers attached do you? I was getting some stupid crashes last night, Reaper wouldn't restart properly afterwards, I turned off my Kronos X keyboard which is assigned as a controller (under midi usb), and all was good. I have heard of other midi controller issues in the past, so just thought I'd mention it, cheers.
Thank you, man, much appreciated.

And when I read what you said something told me that might be a "bingo" there... Beside MIDI keyboard that is connected to RME 9652's MIDI IN, I use Presonus Faderport as a MIDI controller, and I have TC Konnekt 48's MIDI remote controller connected to other RME MIDI IN, so essentially there are 3 MIDI controllers. I use Faderport for mixing and TC's remote to control various CCs. So I'm using both RME's MIDI INs for CCs... and I use a Logitech Joystick set up as XBox360 controller with MS drivers. I've always had one connected so it can't be the problem, I guess, but I'm going to try working without it, too.

That's: Faderport USB MIDI, RME MIDI 1, RME MIDI 2 and USB Joystick for controlling MIDI CCs. Maybe one or two too much for Reaper to handle?

It might be that people who still find Reaper utterly stable don't use many MIDI controllers? I will try to disable receiving CCs from RME's MIDI INs and see how it goes. I didn't have any of these MIDI controllers in 2011! All I had was M-Audio Audiophile 9624 and the MIDI keyboard. Only MIDI IN of Audiophile enabled for receiving CCs, of course.

Thank you Bevosss for heads up on one more thing to try out. This one never occurred to me!

What do you think about that Ollie?

And of course I'll provide the crashlog next time. Hopefully there won't be next time because I have a lot of work to do over holidays. And lots of red wine to drink. LOL

Last edited by DuX; 12-28-2013 at 05:41 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Just try it without Faderport and see how it behaves. We'll go from there then.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #45
Billoon

FTR : Korg Nanopad via USB and Roland V-Drums via MOTU 828 mk2 MIDI In. Both permanently hooked up, neither enabled for CCs though.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #46
Bevosss

Quote:
Thank you, man, much appreciated.

And when I read what you said something told me that might be a "bingo" there... Beside MIDI keyboard that is connected to RME 9652's MIDI IN, I use Presonus Faderport as a MIDI controller, and I have TC Konnekt 48's MIDI remote controller connected to other RME MIDI IN, so essentially there are 3 MIDI controllers. I use Faderport for mixing and TC's remote to control various CCs. So I'm using both RME's MIDI INs for CCs... and I use a Logitech Joystick set up as XBox360 controller with MS drivers. I've always had one connected so it can't be the problem, I guess, but I'm going to try working without it, too.

That's: Faderport USB MIDI, RME MIDI 1, RME MIDI 2 and USB Joystick for controlling MIDI CCs. Maybe one or two too much for Reaper to handle?
I doubt it's the RME card, I run a Fireface 800 and it's midi is always recognised, whereas the Kronos has a USB midi connection and if I start it after Reaper it's not recognised, I have to close and restart Reaper. Plus it was definitely the Kronos controlling an fx parameter that seized Reaper up and wouldn't let it even open the .rpp properly, until I turned it off. I also had it running a midi cable through the fireface so maybe that was a conflict also.

Not saying that's the problem though, just throwing it out there...
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #47
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Can you please provide some crash logs?
I'm sorry for the trouble you've experienced. Are you able to provide a crash log? I see many users suggesting you post the logs, apologies if I missed you actually posting one. Ollie gives step-by-step instructions for locating the crash logs, above.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #48
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Ime, stability is roughly the same, but audio performance is better in XP, for daw stuff at least.
I have done a performance comparison on my machine(s) when upgrading from xp to w7 and i found a 20-30 % degradation in performance.
Even if w7 might be faster on OS level, the drivers are not , and therefore xp in the overall performance performs better. But w7 is fast enough, so I did not care.

As I have read from Dux descriptions, other applications behave "weird" after a reaper crash. This leads me to what I have experienced from other daws crashing, often this crash kills a driver, audio or USB or even graphics, and then the machine will behave strange.

One of the areas where this behaviour happened to me in conjunction with reaper was in the area of control surfaces. If windows (xp or w7) does not find the USB port or renamed it or whatever, this unconnected control surface plugin kills reaper in some cases. As w7 has introduced some new features around USB this might appear as if reaper would have lost stability on w7.

This should give another example what causes problems.

Btw from my cubase experience I am fine with "i do not want to hear that it works on another machine" as this conman-fanbot behaviour really sucks and is no help at all. But in the reaper forums we do not have these fanbots....
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #49
EvilDragon

Any news, DuX?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #50
Superfly76

Hey DuX,

I have a faderport, and an RME Fireface800. I have multiple midi devices hooked up to Reaper that I use in my project studio nearly everyday with projects that usually exceed 60 tracks.

I use a logitech joystick, a Novation Remote 61SL, and Akai MPD24 on a daily basis. I also hook a lot of other midi gear up.

Reaper has been solid for me on XP, Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit, and currently on Windows 8.1 64 bit. It has been solid for me since I bought version 3 until the current version. I've had the odd bug, but have reported them and then had them squashed almost immediately by Justin.

I don't understand why you won't just post a crash report!? You seem like an intelligent and reasonable guy. You even seem to know a lot about the inner workings of computers, both on the hardware and software side.

Why are you being so stubborn? Post the crash report already. Do you really want some help fixing this, or do you just want to vent here?

The very first thing when reporting a bug is to post a crash report.

Edit:
I totally get that you're having a problem. I don't want to come across as "Well it works for me so it must be fine for you". I just write the above to say that I have a similar peripherals that you have. Post a crash log dude! That's how these things are fixed! It sucks that it's not stable for you. Let us help you fix it.

Last edited by Superfly76; 01-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Superfly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #51
airon

DuX, don't give up (until the Cockos boys sing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly76 View Post
I use a logitech joystick, a Novation Remote 61SL, and Akai MPD24 on a daily basis. I also hook a lot of other midi gear up.
Are you able to use the joystick for anything meaningful ? I can't get any of my joysticks to control anything but one damn thing. The data indicates that the input is getting there and all but apparently Reaper doesn't know what to do with it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #52
DuX

The thing is, guys, that everything looks stable so far since I disconnected the Logitech USB joystick. USB is always troublesome, but especially if you have too many different USB devices connected. That's why I always tell people to avoid anything USB if possible, you'll end up with enough USB devices anyway.

I am glad that it seems like it is not Faderport to blame. But I haven't posted any replies to this thread because I haven't done any bigger projects yet without a joystick connected, so I can't be sure and I have no crashlogs to report.

I have a bigger project coming this week and then we'll see what happens.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Even being a kind of a computer hardware and audio expert with lots of experience you absolutely depend on a source of great info from a big "user database" with many different hardware configurations to diagnose problems more easily, like this forum. It is so much quicker! And there's no forum like Cockos forum because its "user database" is quite knowledgeable and quite diverse.

Catch you all later! I'll report whatever happens. All this experience will be useful some day to some other user. There's quite a lot of useful info already in this thread. Maybe I should change the title to "Reaper stability problems"? Although that implies that Reaper is unstable, but actually it is not just Reaper, it's a convergence of so many variables that can just happen not to be entirely reliable. Maybe "Reaper stability solutions"? LOL

Cheers!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #53
Bob Headroom

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the larger project DuX. Fingers crossed.

If you get a moment, could you clear some room in your PMs?

Cheers
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote