Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
frippouille
Human being with feelings

Default Loosing MIDI (FIXED)

All of a sudden i'm loosing my midi connection to my hardware synth.
Closing Reaper,re-opened the prog(sometimes 3times!!!)and the midi's back and for no reason after some work in the prog midi's gone again.
Unreliable midi prog for me.
btw.same setup for years works flawlessly under sx3.

Last edited by frippouille; 05-09-2009 at 07:26 AM.
frippouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
markyboard

It's happening to me as well - but after playing various hardware and soft synths for a while ( between 2 and 10 minutes usually recreates the problem). Usually I just lose a single midi channel on my USB port (Yamaha S-90ES) although sometimes I lose 2 or more midi channel. Other channels over the same USB port continue to work. Disabling the USB midi output port in midi preferences and re-enabling clears the problem temporarily. When I do this the midi gui freezes for about 30 seconds before recovering. I can then continue playiong for a few minutes before it happens again.

I'm using Windows XP 64 with 32bit Reaper with a RME HDSPe AES32 (latest driver) on an I7 940 CPU - 6G RAM machine.
markyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
markyboard

I've narrowed down this problem to record enabling 2 or more midi tracks each routed to a hardware synth using the same controller input (i.e.layering 2 hardware synths). One of them gets a stuck note and then I need to restart Reaper. Happens within a couple of minutes of physically playing the controller through Reaper.

Can anyone confirm this with V2.58 on Windows 64 run as a 32 bit program?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Dewdman42

I'm having problems sending to external midi too. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work at all, even if I restart Reaper and reconfig and everything. I have not been able to narrow down a consistent pattern to it....I wish I could, its driving me mad after hours and hours of futzing around. There is no ryhmn or reason to it.

Sometimes it will be playing...the midi out is not working....then all of a sudden there will be an explosive flush of the midi port it seems and everything will work fine after that...this while I'm doing absolutely nothing other than playing midi...
Dewdman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
markyboard

Might help to put down some specifics: What OS-32 bit/64 bit?, mac?, soundcard, version of Reaper etc.

Also simplify your Reaper project to the one midi track that is a problem.
Do you still have the problem?

BTW I went back to my 32 bit windows boot drive and when I run the same project from there I do not have the midi problem. When I couple that with the fact that I also can not open the ASIO configuration from within Reaper (in the 64 bit boot drive/32 bit Reapoer project)and have to use the icon at the bottom of the screen (start up programs) this indicates to me that running 64 bit with Reaper as a 32 bit program is not so good for the midi driver stuff.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Dewdman42

32bit windows. And yes, only one midi track.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Dewdman42

I rolled back to version 2.5.5 of Reaper, which seems to have cured the problem. So whatever they did in 2.5.6 may have broken external midi in some way.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Jo_

Default midi output problem

Same problem here,

windows32 and im using an external midi controller.

I can reproduce the problem :
->I create 1 midi track, i add notes, send the output to the synth, play.
It's working fine until I start messing with the space bar (stop & play).
Then the midi signal is not reaching my controler. the only way to make it work is to close reaper and reopen it.
I tried running csx3 (at the same time, sending to the same output) and it is working fine so I don't think the problem is from my controller.

I hope it helps

Jo
Jo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
groovebox

Default Loosing midi connections

This is happening to me also since i installed the new Reaper 3.0 (non-beta).

I open a project with some midi tracks that control external synths, each midi track goes to a different midi hardware output. After playing around for some random time (5 minutes average), Reaper loses connection to these hardware outputs. It loses connection when i press Pause/Stop or when still playing i put the cursor on another part of the project. Sometimes a note hangs, sometimes not.

I have the preference "Send all-notes off on stop/play" active.

Some notes for the developers to track down the bug:

a) I say that it loses connection because there's no more midi activity in the led lights of interface Edirol UM-2.

b) If there's a hang note when this happens, when i finally shut down Reaper, the note will stop playng!

b) If i restart Reaper, everything seems fine again.

System specs:
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
1.5 Gb
Windows XP SP3 Home Edition

Midi interfaces:
2x Edirol UM-2
Edirol PCR-A30 port
Focusrite Saffire LE midi port
groovebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
markyboard

Last time I replied everything appeared to work fine with Windows XP 32. Now with ver 3.0 I'm seeing some lost midi control. Nothing specific I'm doing, Reaper just stops sending out to my MOTU MTP-AVs or back to my USB controller. I've had the same problem with an S90ES controller using USB and now a Kurz PC3x as the USB controller. BTW this is the real time "thru" capability I'm talking about. I'm not recording when this happens although multiple track records are enabled to get Reaper to pass through the midi data. When it does crap out I still see the red midi light lighting up on the enabled tracks. Also VSTi soft synths still work fine.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
lucky_bleeder

yup, exactly the same problem here.

midi out dies until i unplug-replug my motu usb midi interface.

win xp sp2
rme FF400
intel quad
lucky_bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
tony_man

+1

Me too, either restarting Reaper or going to the options page for Audio seems to restart MIDI..
tony_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
markyboard

Are either of you on XP pro(64 bit)? Can you give specifics of your system and more detail of the nature of the problem?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
groovebox

I'm on XP Home Edition 32 bit SP3.

I have this same setup for about 2 years and these lost midi connections only happen in Reaper 3.0. MidiOx mantains the midi connections when Reaper loses them. On v2.56 i only experienced some hang notes at play/stop.

Hardware midi is a must have for me. From what i've seen so far, Reaper 3.0 is amazing, i'm glad i bought the license some months ago. But with this bug, it's no use for me... :\ Hope the developers are following this!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
filosofem

Same here too, Reaper 3.0.0.0 M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 5.10.0.5124 Driver and Firmware (Transport Mode).

Reaper MIDI Input and track configurations are correct as they did work the other day but have since failed. In fact I needed to run Reaper in Administrator Account mode to launch, previously in non-administrator mode Reaper would not pass Initialize Control Surfaces at launch.

ASUS K8N-DL
nVidia nForce4
2x AMD Opteron 265
4x 1024 DDR-SDRAM
ATI Radeon X550
4x WDC
SIIG PCI 1394
XP Pro SP2

Mbox 2 Pro (Digidesign ASIO Driver 8.0.0.314)

filosofem
filosofem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #16
frippouille

Hi guys sharing that ''loosing midi'' probs... ;(
Anyone got any replies from the Reaper Team concerning that problem
cause i don't see any anywhere!!
Thank's.
My set-up:Win XP sp-3 32B-Aardvark Q-10-M-audio midisport 2x4-Yamaha Mo6-Casio Privia-E-mu Proteus Orchestral+Vstis.
frippouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
groovebox

From the replys so far, it seems this bug is present in different systems with different midi interfaces. I guess it must be a real bug in Reaper and not a system/user problem, but one that is hard to track down because sometimes it happens even when Reaper is idle and i'm surfing the web! When i get back to Reaper and press Play, hardware midi is gone. I can't replicate it in a consistent manner.

I must say one more time: for me this only happens in Reaper 3.0. No other midi application on my system loses the hardware midi connections.

Developers, please, are you following this? If you want, i can do any test you might think is relevant for you to track this.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
DarkStar

Is this all in v3?
Can you retest with v2.58?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
filosofem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Is this all in v3? Can you retest with v2.58?
Testing thus far points to Reaper 3.0.

filosofem
filosofem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
scherer

+1

Same here! (Posted it here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36720, you can ignore or delete this extra post)

Exactly like described by the other users.

My setup:
Reaper 3.0
Steinberg Midex 8 midi interface
M-Audio Quattro
AMD PC 2 GHz
2 GB RAM
WinXP Pro 32bit

http://www.plasticage.de/scherer | http://www.plasticage.de/sounddesign
scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #21
markyboard

In my case I was losing MIDI on both 2.58 and 3.0. This was on Win XP Pro with Reaper 32 bit. Reaper on Windoxs XP 32 bit seems to be behaving itself. Although I reported previously that I was having ocassional problems, I think that may have been just a hung note and not a complete loss of a midi channel or channels. Reaper on XP pro is totally useless as it consistently loses midi connectivity in a matter of a few played notes whether using 2.58 or 3.0.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 AM   #22
tony_man

My workstation is win2k, it's very stable and has been for years..
MIDI-wise I've got a Yamaha SW1000XG (2 internal MIDI synth ports and 1 external MIDI port), Korg Radias via USB (1 internal MIDI port and 1 external MIDI port)

starting at around the pre-release RC-1; Reaper stops sending MIDI data on all ports; never stops mid-song, but somewhere between stopping and starting.. If I open preferences-audio device, it will work again(for a few play-stop cycles).

this never happened in any other release, I first noticed it v3. RC1.

Reaper is now dust-ware because I cannot use it! damn shame as I was enjoying learning Reaper,and I was looking forward to the new features of V3..
I even coughed up the purchase fee on the promise of v3(and got ripped off by digital river in the process)

back to Cubase..
tony_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:57 AM   #23
schwa
Administrator

Looking into this, sounds annoying!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
markyboard

I knew this would get some attention sooner or later. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
Fabian

So, I am not alone with the MIDI problem then. At least that's some relief...

As noted in my other post (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36696) MIDI output to external device stops in the middle of playing (LEDs on the MIDI i/f stop flashing, and no sound from the device), and this happens randomly, but it seems to happen (more often) when the MIDI Editor is open. Trying to fix the problem by opening the Preferences dialog, Reaper sometimes but not always freezes. Task Manager says Reaper is "not responding". Trying to close Reaper (clicking upper right X) XP throws up a dialog "this app stopped responding". No crash logs in Event Viewer. Problem occurs randomly and is not reproducible; I tried a new smaller project with short MIDI items, but did not see the issue, so maybe the MIDI items has to be some length. I also removed reaper-midihw.ini but the problem remains.

This is on Reaper 3. I never saw this on 2.5x (but I never installed 2.58) running on the exact same system.

My system:
XPsp3 32-bit Dux' audio optimized
Dell Vostro 1510, Intel Core 2 DUO T5870 2GHz, 3GB 667MHz DDR2, 250GB WD Scorpio Black 7200SATA
MIDI i/f: M-AUDIO MidiSport 2x2, USB

Last edited by Fabian; 06-01-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Fabian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #26
chrisgriffiths

Default More Info : Midi transmit problem after upgrading from Reaper 2.5 to 3.0.

Hope this is useful :

I found that when midi stops sending, I can wait a few minutes without quitting Reaper and then press start and it will work.

The problem is reproduced as follows, with one midi track being solo'ed " :
Press play. (midi is ok)
Press stop.
Press play. (somtimes midi will not transmit, even though the indicator on the track indicates that is thinks it is transmitting.

Repeat the above play; stop sequence a few times until the problem occurs.

Then wait anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes, press play and it will transmit correctly.

I'm using windows XP home edition. This problem started happening after upgrading from 2.5.3 to 3.0. Happens all the time. I'm using a midi/joystick interface on my computer connected to a midi cable. Since others on this thread see the problem on USB, I don't think this is specific to hardware drivers etc.

I can reproduce the problem using external midi, the computer internal sound card synth or with the internal Microsoft Wavetable software synth.
chrisgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #27
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Looking into this, sounds annoying!
More like "annoying sounds" :groan:
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #28
Stu Kennedy

I'm having the same problem since upgrading to 3.0 on WinXP.

unfortunately I NEED the external MIDI to work as I run all my VSTs in a separate program called Bidule and route the MIDI there through MIDI Yoke.
I also sync to an external video player using MTC on one of the MIDI channels.

I have found that it is more stable since disabling all MIDI input devices except my controller keyboard in the preferences.
It still locks MIDI preiodically though (maybe every hour).

I have to close down both programs, sometimes if I look in process manager there is a reaper.exe still sitting there in the background that I have to force to quit. I have to wait a bit to restart Reaper because I also get a UDP error on start-up which means that ReaRoute won't work and I have to close it, wait, and re-open again. Sometimes none of this works and I have to restart my machine :-(

Any help would be extremely gratefully received.

Stu
Stu Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #29
schwa
Administrator

Question for anyone having this problem: does it happen only with the transport playing, or only when stopped and playing a controller live, or both?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #30
schwa
Administrator

I'm soliciting volunteers - if you are having this problem very frequently (like every few minutes) please email me, schwa at cockos dot com.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #31
Fabian

Quote:
Question for anyone having this problem: does it happen only with the transport playing, or only when stopped and playing a controller live, or both?
IIUC, both.

I have observed these two situations:

1. when Reaper is playing the MIDI item, output to the external MIDI instrument stops. Internal (VST) MIDI instrument continues playing just fine.

2. when manually triggering MIDI events from within the MIDI editor. At some point no more events get sent through the MIDI i/f, even though I trigger note events like crazy.

In both cases opening the MIDI Device preferences and closing it again (not doing anything else) may fix the problem, MIDI output to external instrument works again for some time. But, it also happened that when trying to open the preferences, Reaper freezes before opening the dialog. Task manager then reports "not responding" etc. I never waited very long at that point, simply force stopped Reaper. I will try Stu's suggestion of waiting 2 to 10 minutes, next time it appears. Tonight, I'll also try to put together a small project that exhibits the problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #32
Fabian

Default It just now happened...

Right now, Reaper is "not responding" on my DAW laptop (for specs, see post above), after MIDI to external instrument dropped out and I clicked preferences (upper right corner) to open MIDI Devices; the dialog never came up. Reaper currently takes 50% CPU, 213668 kB memory, as reported by Task manager, both are fix no increase/decrease.

I took notes on what I was just doing when the MIDI to the external instrument dropped. It goes like this (see below). I don't think that this is a procedure to re-produce the problem, at other times I've seen the problem with other procedures, but this is what I've got right now. Maybe some of it can put someone on the right debug track...

Everything had been going fine for around an hour.
I removed two items (non-MIDI) at the end of the project.
I right-clicked on a region to open the menu, this I did twice without selecting anything on that menu.
Using the mouse scroll wheel I zoomed vert (ctrl+whee) and horiz. I have scroll wheel prefs set to (Vert: Track under mouse cursor, Horiz: Mouse Cursor)
I pressed key 1 to go to first marker.
Pressed SPACE to play
No MIDI to external instrument
Tested several SPACE presses to stop and play, no change, no ext MIDI, internal MIDI ok.
Mixer has focus not the main window (and I have mixer on first screen (laptop), main window on second screen)
Click top of main window to give it focus.
Press SPACE to play, still no ext MIDI
Click prefs (upper right corner), Reaper FREEZE at 21:17
Now my clock is 22:08, Reaper is still meditating, same CPU%, same mem use.
Reaper windows are blanked.

Last edited by Fabian; 06-01-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #33
schwa
Administrator

So in this case, external MIDI out failed when starting to play after seeking to a marker. Is there any consistency in whether the failure comes when starting to play after seeking, or when starting to play at all, or does the failure sometimes occur in the middle of playback?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
Fabian

Quote:
So in this case, external MIDI out failed when starting to play after seeking to a marker.
Yes.

Quote:
Is there any consistency in whether the failure comes when starting to play after seeking, or when starting to play at all, or does the failure sometimes occur in the middle of playback?
I've seen the ext MIDI dropping out both when starting to play (as above), and in the middle of playing.

EDIT: I force-killed Reaper and restarted, opened the project and pressed play. Now it plays ext MIDI just fine. If you want the RPP I can email it.

Last edited by Fabian; 06-01-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #35
Fabian

And now, just right now, MIDI dropped out in the middle of playing. No edits were done since I restarted/reloaded, no menus, nothing, I only pressed play. Happened at the second half of the project, seems it only(?) does that for me.

I have not tried to open the preferences yet, but I suspect this will result in guru meditation...

EDIT: The strange thing I see now is that when I press play and stop, the LEDs on the MidiSport 2x2 (2 in, 2 out) blinks for Out-A, but not for Out-B. I assume this is all notes off, but it's only sent on one output, Out-A, and not on the one that the MIDI track is set up to use, Out-B. Nothing comes out on Out-B. Setting the MIDI track to output on Out-A, stuff comes out, the LED flashes.

Last edited by Fabian; 06-01-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #36
schwa
Administrator

Are there any tempo changes in this project?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #37
Fabian

Quote:
Are there any tempo changes in this project?
No, no tempo changes.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #38
Fabian

So, using the Task Manager I killed the Reaper task earlier when it froze on me. But I did not look carefully enough... I restarted Reaper and have had no problems for a long time now, no loss of ext MIDI.

When shutting down the DAW laptop, I now see that the old Reaper process was not killed when I killed the task. It has been chugging along at 50% CPU all the time, doing whatever it was doing, while the new Reaper task served me fine. Maybe another piece to the puzzle...
Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #39
Stu Kennedy

Default Losing MIDI

Schwa,

I've had the problem happen during recording when fiddling with an external device that is receiving MIDI.

I use a program called Chaingang which receives MTC and plays synced video.

I tried closing down chaingang whilst freezing tracks, to free up some CPU and the MIDI stopped.

I haven't tried the going to MIDI preferences trick that Fabian suggested yet, I'll try that tonight.

You should be able to replicate this problem if you set-up an external midi via MIDI Yoke ... in fact have lots of the Virtual MIDI cables enabled in MIDI Devices including inputs monitor the MIDI Yoke channels in something like bidule or MIDIOX (if you can figure it out, which I haven't)
Do lots of tracking with the transport, move back and forwards try scrubbing and stuff like that you should eventually see it happen!

Stu
Stu Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #40
schwa
Administrator

Would trouble-havers mind testnig the latest 3.01 prerelease build (www.landoleet.org) to see if there is any improvement? Thanks.