Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Cosmic Pig
Human being with feelings

Default How can I get loops to change size with the tempo?

Not sure if I got the terminology right, but here's the dealio.

I have an acoustic track done without a click that I'm trying to put some midi percussion on. I did the Bevosss thing to get the tempo markers. Thanks to Bevosss!
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14737

I got the click going well to the track.

Now i want to create midi for my percussion by doing 1 bar of percussion, then grab the edge of the midi track and pull it out so it loops.

The loops don't change to the new tempo. they stay at the original tempo. Is there a way to have the loop change length automatically to the next tempo?

I tried changing the properties to time or beats, but no luck.

Any ideas? Or do I have to go through the whole midi track clicking on every hit?

Thanks in advance.

Cos.
Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Hold alt while dragging the edge to stretch the item. Then if you want items to scale with tempo changes, that's done with the timebase options in project settings. That can also be overridden on a track or item level. There is also an option in the media explorer to try to tempo match loops when dragging them into the project.

If it's not adapting to tempo, you might have the "ignore project tempo" option enabled for the MIDI item in item source properties.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Cosmic Pig

Thanks Fox! I'll try those ideas.

The semi workaround I found was to create a midi item for the whole track, then do the first bar, then alt drag a copy to the next bar, then alt dragging the 2 bars into 4 bars into 8 bars etc. With snap enabled it sorta worked okay.

The difficulty here was the acoustic guitar was occasionally going so far off it was into the next beat, and the guy wanted it to stay the same because he had a video thing he wanted to preserve.

Fortunately the song quality is consistent as he's a terrible singer as well.

Cos.
Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote