Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #81
Alex Adieu
Human being with feelings

Default Not a reply but a question...

I am going to buy or I should say rent a license for Reaper next month, will be running it in Windows 7 (I know this a Linux thread, bear with me). Anyway, if you are running Reaper in Windows, can you use a bunch of Linux boxes as DSP resources with the distributed processing feature? I have experience with various Linux distributions, however there are a lot of plug ins that are Windows/Mac only that I will be running. It would AWESOME to run a bunch of powerful Linux boxes for DSP resources on a network with Reaper and my plug ins running in Windows!
Alex Adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #82
Nystagmus

Default nice question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adieu View Post
I am going to buy or I should say rent a license for Reaper next month, will be running it in Windows 7 (I know this a Linux thread, bear with me). Anyway, if you are running Reaper in Windows, can you use a bunch of Linux boxes as DSP resources with the distributed processing feature? I have experience with various Linux distributions, however there are a lot of plug ins that are Windows/Mac only that I will be running. It would AWESOME to run a bunch of powerful Linux boxes for DSP resources on a network with Reaper and my plug ins running in Windows!
I'm not really sure, but I have successfully used Windows 32-bit Reaper on 32-bit WINE on 32-bit Ubuntu Studio Linux on a desktop computer as well as a laptop computer.

Probably it would work. The Windows versions of Reaper tend to work OK over Wine, especially if Wine has been updated from http://winehq.org (wine-devel is a good version to install; it and winecfg both install into the /opt/ directory).

As far as I know, internetworking functions of Windows programs still work via Wine on Linux. For example, I was able to run an internet radio program for 32-bit Windows on 32-bit Wine on 32-bit Ubuntu Studio Linux.

You would want to ask at the forums at http://winehq.org aboutu other forms of network support structures, processes, procedures, protocols, and compatibility.

However, as far as Reaper goes, it would probably work is my guess.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #83
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adieu View Post
Some things that require powerful cpu's, could be used via
cabled sneakernetting some line-outs into a mixer connected to the main
daw box. For example, playing some dream arps with Diva, and Repro-1,
some drum patterns using world-class samples, with some underlying
reaktor drones, could gobble up 3 i7's etc while the main daw was used
to play unemcumbered lead lines.

You'll have to be pretty good/lucky at pressing the 'play' buttons
in rythm, or editing start times on the tracks.
If you have spdif support on identical soundcards,
you could synch the internal clocks
of external daw-box soundcards to some advantage, making it easier
to mix with the main track. But sometimes a nuanced 'fail'
adds a little life to something.

Now get some great synths and hardware racksynths with actual
real genuine midi-through capabilities,
and there'll be plenty of creative juices flowing by tea time.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #84
michael diemer

Default Best Linux for Reaper/Wine-Reaper/Native?

I'm trying to decide which distro to install for Reaper-on-Linux. I currently have Zorin 12 Ultimate and Ubuntu Mate. I have space for another distro, to be used exclusively for audio. I personally think Ubuntu Mate is the best distro I have tried, although Zorin is probably my favorite. But I would like to maximize chances of success, so I'm trying to decide between Fedora, Debian and AV Linux. David Else recommends Fedora. However, the Reaper devs are using Debian. Then there is AV Linux, specifically configured for audio.

A Penguin for your thoughts...
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #85
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I'm trying to decide which distro to install for Reaper-on-Linux. I currently have Zorin 12 Ultimate and Ubuntu Mate. I have space for another distro, to be used exclusively for audio. I personally think Ubuntu Mate is the best distro I have tried, although Zorin is probably my favorite. But I would like to maximize chances of success, so I'm trying to decide between Fedora, Debian and AV Linux. David Else recommends Fedora. However, the Reaper devs are using Debian. Then there is AV Linux, specifically configured for audio.

A Penguin for your thoughts...
I tend to distro-hop a lot, so I have tried a lot and rarely stay with one too long. A lot depends on what desktop environment I like at the time. Currently it is KDE, so I am on Kubuntu. But my top recommendation, especially since the devs use Debian would be to try MX-16. It is Debian stable with Xfce and they have an excellent community repo for more recent software and special kernels. This includes Liquorix kernels (compiled to work with Debian stable - they are normally for Debian Testing or Unstable)which are low latency and work very well for pro audio. And because it is Debian, you can also add the KXStudio repos, which has the best availability of linux vsts.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #86
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
I tend to distro-hop a lot, so I have tried a lot and rarely stay with one too long. A lot depends on what desktop environment I like at the time. Currently it is KDE, so I am on Kubuntu. But my top recommendation, especially since the devs use Debian would be to try MX-16. It is Debian stable with Xfce and they have an excellent community repo for more recent software and special kernels. This includes Liquorix kernels (compiled to work with Debian stable - they are normally for Debian Testing or Unstable)which are low latency and work very well for pro audio. And because it is Debian, you can also add the KXStudio repos, which has the best availability of linux vsts.
MX-16, sounds like some kind of spy agency. I'll check it out (hopefully the NSA isn't monitoring them).
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote