Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
Tubeguy
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up another video monitor in another room?

I need a video monitor in my drum room so I can see my DAW progress. I all ready have two monitors but the 3th one I need is a bit too far for cable not to mention my video card only has two outputs.
I could get a monitor switch box and a long cable. But that's costly for only occasional use.
So I thought maybe some software might be able to send video only via home Wifi to a laptop. But I'm finding nothing apart from full PC control etc which will tax my all ready weak PC processing power.
Or perhaps there are other ideas even unusual ones? I'm not too fussy on quality, just don't say array of mirrors :-)
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
JamesPeters

If all you're needing is a "remote control" and not actually being able to see everything on a monitor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMAj8CpvIU
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Tubeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
If all you're needing is a "remote control" and not actually being able to see everything on a monitor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMAj8CpvIU
Quiet amazing what Reaper can do but I have keybord there for control. I need to see the screen.
I've just tried some video over WFI program but the lag is nearly 1 second so totally unusable.

But here is an idea! Is it possible to make the running line thicker? If so, I just might be able to see it from distance and it might be enough to tell me where is my current position on the track.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
WolfJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
I need a video monitor in my drum room so I can see my DAW progress. I all ready have two monitors but the 3th one I need is a bit too far for cable not to mention my video card only has two outputs.
I could get a monitor switch box and a long cable. But that's costly for only occasional use.
How far is it? I think an HDMI splitter and long cable(s) may be your best option. I've used this setup over 150 feet, and the picture is just fine. I mean I'm sure you could measure some signal loss with a meter, but it's still a clear HD picture.
WolfJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
So I thought maybe some software might be able to send video only via home Wifi to a laptop. But I'm finding nothing apart from full PC control etc which will tax my all ready weak PC processing power.
Or perhaps there are other ideas even unusual ones? I'm not too fussy on quality, just don't say array of mirrors :-)
Enable screen sharing. Already built in.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Enable network screen sharing. Already built in.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 AM   #7
Tubeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfJames View Post
How far is it? I think an HDMI splitter and long cable(s) may be your best option. I've used this setup over 150 feet, and the picture is just fine. I mean I'm sure you could measure some signal loss with a meter, but it's still a clear HD picture.
Yes probably the best option. I looked it up and 5m cable and DVI switchbox would be around $50 so not that bad. I could run it from the 2th monitor. But one thing I've thought of, that means that I would have to change screen resolution every time I want to switch since the 3th monitor will be different type. More tweaking....ech.
I can see the screen from that distance, sure there is no way to make the running line thicker? That would be simplest hassle free option.

Screen sharing runs over WIFI as far as I know, it has too much lag, at least the one I've tried.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
poetnprophet

You shouldn't have to switch anything if you setup an HDMI splitter. I have the exact setup: I have my main monitor 55" for track view and a 27" monitor for mixer view. The splitter is for the main monitor which has a duplicate image for the 40" monitor in another room. I can turn on that 40" anytime (or off) and everything sets itself. 3 monitors total.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Screen sharing runs over WIFI as far as I know, it has too much lag, at least the one I've tried.
Barely a fraction of a second even. It might be a little visually fatiguing for heavy editing work but to run the transport or zoom and seek around some during a recording session you'd be none the wiser.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
Tubeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Barely a fraction of a second even. It might be a little visually fatiguing for heavy editing work but to run the transport or zoom and seek around some during a recording session you'd be none the wiser.
Really? Maybe the program I've downloaded was crappy, it was really slow. Any particular program you have in mind I should try?

Currently considering the video splitter but if it'll work ok over wifi it'll be much better, I culd just use laptop. No wires is good, I have enough all ready to get lost in.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
serr

I'm talking about just the native screen sharing built into the OS.
In OSX for example, you enable screen sharing in System Preferences. Then you will see network connected machines in the Finder window and you can select one and click 'share screen'.

I still have just a basic older router too for the home network.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #12
Amazed

Perhaps Miracast could provide the needed solution?
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
Tubeguy

Oh...the Windows Remote Assistant actually work. I had no clue Windows had this and it works quiet well, almost no lag. That's good enough for me.
Thanks guys for help!