Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
lowellben
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Legato Actions Built In

Hi. Suppose I have a MIDI item with no overlapping notes.

The brilliant juliansader has already made scripts to nudge notes by milliseconds, but I wonder if it's easy and possible please to make that nudge into a "expand duration length" instead.
(https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1721134)

Kinda didn't want to have to meddle with fiddle with note properties length, * etc.
Not beats, millis.

What is the easiest way to extend all midi notes slightly (on left and right sides of each note) so there is a 'legato connection overlap' with all notes?

I ask because I am scoring a piece and received a MIDI file with non overlapping notes but the string library I am using for the mockup has gorgeous legato. I think these scripts could be priceless to many composers.

I was hoping I didn't have to manually drag and extend each midi note to "overlap" a full legato to get the legato transitions to trigger. Please help

tl;dr

Is there a script please to expand out selected midi notes, thus extending length on left and right side of each note? Preferably I could control right and left separately.
Thank you!

Actions desired

MIDI_editor_Extend selected midi notes to the right by ____ milliseconds (ms)
MIDI_editor_Extend selected midi notes to the left by ____ (ms)
MIDI_editor_Extend selected midi notes to the right AND left by ___ (ms) [both directions]

PS yes I know about those Kawa scripts but they only extend notes fully to the 'next note'. I believe we'd need a script set that does by milliseconds or a 'nudge' value for this legato purpose.

Last edited by lowellben; 11-15-2017 at 10:25 AM.
lowellben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
lunker

I'm not aware of any scripts, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Unless you're doing something more complex, I think it would be just as easy to use CTRL-F2 to set the adjust the start and length of the selected notes.

You can expand both the left and right edges by using:

start = -0.0.001 (move the start to 1 tick earlier)
length = +0.0.002 (make the note 2 ticks longer, thus extending the end by 1 tick from where it was)

I'm assuming that you just need the notes to overlap by any amount (I arbitrarily chose 1 tick -- you can use more if you want). If you actually need a specific amount of of milliseconds overlap, then this probably isn't the best way.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Hi. Suppose I have a MIDI item with no overlapping notes.

Actions desired

MIDI_editor_Extend selected midi notes to the right by ____ milliseconds (ms)
MIDI_editor_Extend selected midi notes to the left by ____ (ms)
MIDI_editor_Extend selected midi notes to the right AND left by ___ (ms) [both directions]
As a quick workaround you can use the following script (via Reapack):

'Stretch selected MIDI notes positions by custom x'

As value you can type in *1.1 or 1.01..

hth
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
lowellben

Thank you for the ideas guys appreciated.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Eddy

there are a few legato midi actions - go into the Actions, choose midi editor and search for legato
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
What is the easiest way to extend all midi notes slightly (on left and right sides of each note) so there is a 'legato connection overlap' with all notes?

I ask because I am scoring a piece and received a MIDI file with non overlapping notes but the string library I am using for the mockup has gorgeous legato. I think these scripts could be priceless to many composers.

I was hoping I didn't have to manually drag and extend each midi note to "overlap" a full legato to get the legato transitions to trigger. Please help

Hi Lowell, there is an action in the midi editor for extending or shortening the notes by 1 pixel. That might not sound like much but it does work pretty well. You can always create custom actions to do it 5 or 10 pixels at a time if you wish. Look for "Edit: Lengthen notes on pixel", there's one for shorten too.

Really and truly though, if you're going to get into orchestration to this degree, I want to encourage you to get your hands dirty and start to learn how to manually adjust, not only the notes, but also the controllers and velocities to make it the best.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
mikeroephonics

Try running this Action:
Set note ends to start of next note (legato)

Then select the desired notes and extend their left and right edges as desired.

I use this action and overlap notes to ensure legato mode works properly for my Vienna Symphonic Library "Perf-Leg" samples, which require MIDI note overlaps to trigger the proper "interval sample."