Old 09-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
akoustic
Human being with feelings

Default 7 workflow requests

1. Global mute, solo & rec/arm - i.e. toggles on/off to the previous state (those tracks that were solo'd / muted last)

2. Mixer snapshot setups - for large tracking sessions

3. Solo new fx Channel - Ctrl+drag fx to channel, opens fx dialog solo'd with the new fx applied plus solo switch for channel fx dialog box to compliment

4. Freeze

5. Compact mixer meter/channel option, for larger mixer channel counts... possible option of dual/tripple stacking.

6. Pre-roll to cursor on record - place the cursor where you need to punch in & hit record with automatic 2/4bar, or user selected pre-roll

7. Group/Aux channel colours & label - to help distinguish between normal, midi, vsti, etc

... any of these would be much appreciated, thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
EnzymeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic
7. Group/Aux channel colours & label - to help distinguish between normal, midi, vsti, etc
+1 on this one. It would also be nice to pin the Aux tracks to the bottom of the track view...
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Spon

Quote:
1. Global mute, solo & rec/arm - i.e. toggles on/off to the previous state (those tracks that were solo'd / muted last)
How about if there were a few, say four, buttons up in the toolbar - right-click on them (or control-click) or something to REMEMBER all mute/solo/arm states, and left-click to RECALL them? This does this job, the A/B request, and various other things.

Quote:
2. Mixer snapshot setups - for large tracking sessions
Currently automation remembers one parameter at a time - you'd have to automate EVERYTHING to get a snapshot. It would be a whole new mechanism, I think.

Quote:
3. Solo new fx Channel - Ctrl+drag fx to channel, opens fx dialog solo'd with the new fx applied plus solo switch for channel fx dialog box to compliment
works unless fancy routing is involved...
+1

Quote:
4. Freeze
Define, please, after reading http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2597

Quote:
5. Compact mixer meter/channel option, for larger mixer channel counts... possible option of dual/tripple stacking.
+1
I could live with the meters being 3 pixels wide (per channel)
The text volume/balance readout would have to change - possibly onel line above the other? The mute/solo buttons and track number would have to shrink somehow. If the mixer is tall enough, the mute and solo could go with the other buttons, but the other buttons already overlap at the mixer's smallest height.
How to do this?

Quote:
6. Pre-roll to cursor on record - place the cursor where you need to punch in & hit record with automatic 2/4bar, or user selected pre-roll
Don't see the need, but that's not a vote against it - just a comment that I'm not recording much live audio these days.

Quote:
+++
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
akoustic

- mixer snapshots... needed for remembering mute/solo/rec/mon/arm states plus the visual switches for envelopes/folders on each track (snapshots overide automation on channel switches, i.e. mute/solo etc.)

- define freeze, well heres my version

... select sound clips > right click > "fx render selected clips" or the "entire track" containing any sound clips selected, (this renders & creates a freeze sub folder on 1 or more channels (depending on selection).

Once rendered it automatically mutes FX on the original (plus selected clips)... main track gets its mute button replaced by a "F" freeze active indication which is toggled from the freeze track mute solo - this way you can have multiple freeze sub folders with different FX versions of each - but only 1 on at a time.

If only a few clips were rendered then those rendered clips are to be muted individually in the original & the FX still enabled for that track (there would need to be fx usage per clip to see this benefit).

If you perform an edit on the original, just drag the new edit to the freeze track and that segment is automatically rendered with fx applied. Ok its a rough idea off the top... dont flame!

- pre roll 2 cursor for record & playback would be a gem to have in tracking sessions... especially if the guys know what they doing... much easier to drop a marker on the fly if someone plays a turd (not 3rd), stop > # marker position "rewind" > place cursor or go from marker > hit rec (with 2 bar preroll)

Last edited by akoustic; 09-20-2006 at 03:24 AM.
akoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Preroll record is part of the ReaperScript Preset utility. A search of the forum should find it.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
akoustic

thanks Art... still need to check that out, was unaware of this

edit: great utility - have it working fine using the preset 1.5 bar (ctrl+left)x2 but have to do a manual record punch. Anyway to automate the punch at the placed cursor point before pre-roll started ?

Last edited by akoustic; 09-20-2006 at 05:53 AM.
akoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #7
Art Evans
Mortal

Heh, I had to re-read the instructions to remember how it works! Here, it will do what I think you want if you set "options > record mode" to "normal" (in Reaper itself). Then it will simply drop into record at the point you had the cursor and drop out again after the prescribed number of seconds. If you then highlight the new clip and the one either side of it, you can drag the boundaries to change the transition points as required.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
akoustic

this addon is great... tried that in normal mode but my script does'nt have any timing reference yet... i'm not sure how to go about setting up the delayed punch after it starts the pre-roll playback... not a big deal but rather curious to see if this can be made to work.

heres the basic script so far: {F1}^{left 2}^r - but has no delay before the punch point