Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Lumee
Human being with feelings

Default SFZ use in Reaper

Just installed Reaper, watched the Video tutorials and several hours searching and no luck finding info on installing SFZ Reader or using it with Reaper or using the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra files.

My last DAW experience was around 1990 something, Atari 1000 and Cakewalk, Tascam 80-8, 16ch mixer. And none since. The tech changes are stunning and triggering the first chest tickles in many years.

All help will be warmly received.
Lumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
xpander

If you haven't done so yet, you could start by downloading sfz player. Two that I use the most are the
Cakewalk SFZ
http://www.cakewalk.com/Download/sfz.aspx
And Plogue Sforzando
http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

For the installation, it is a good idea to keep the VST plugins (like these) in their own common folder, eg. C:\Program Files\VST
or similar.

Once you have installed the plugin, you can open the Preferences menu in Reaper and in the Plug-ins\VST page add your VST plugin path and then scan it. This way Reaper knows to look into that place for the plugins and is ready to use them.

Once you have reached this far, you are ready to start using the sfz libraries like SSO. That might be time for the next round of tips. Since this is dealing with the basics even before using Reaper, Newbieland might be a better place, but nevertheless, please ask more if something is not clear.

Welcome.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
joelsampson

I've had good luck with Sforzando. The Cakewalk plug-in never worked quite right for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Lumee

Ready for next step. Both suggested SFZ players are installed. Lots of experimentation and still scratching my head. This seems to suggest a "leave no stone unturned" step-by-step to get to hearing SFZ based sound. ie. An assumption this student is about 12 years old, though that may be too old.

Perhaps Sforsando comes later. I tried dropping a file onto the Sforsando GUI frontend and crashed Reaper and/or Sforsando. Two Aleve tablets handled the headache.

I've downloaded someone's project to test sound and DO hear sound that way. .WAV ?

Windows 8, i5 CPU, 16GB RAM
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
70srocker

I use Sforzando and it never crashes. Never dragging and dropping within REAPER may be the reason.

I always pre-load my SFZ files into Sforzando using the Standalone version that it installs along with VST. Once you pre-load the sounds they are available as pre-sets with the VST version within Reaper so no need for dragging-dropping.

edit to add: I just tried dropping new files into Sforzando within REAPER and had no issues with crashing.

Last edited by 70srocker; 01-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.
70srocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
TimOBrien

Yup, dont drag-and-drop.
Use the File buttons to navigate to the sfz file.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Lumee

Helpers, thank you and here's a progress report.

Here are the details of partial success beginning with the failure half. Reaper is not running, just sforzando GUI. We added Reaper results below.

"FILE: Empty" shows up after selecting one of the .SFZ files using the File>Load menu item.

Step by step details:

File types available are "ARIA File (.aria)" and "any type". I chose "any type" and double clicked on the Samples folder which then produced the list of instruments. I chose Woodwinds - Oboes Sustain.sfz. That name then appeared in the "File name:" window just above Files of type: Any Type (*.*).

Clicking "Open" disappeared the file selection area. sforzando's GUI main window showed no files and "FILE: empty showed just above the K-SWITCH: word.

On the positive side, drag-&-dropping a file does work. (no crash this morning, so something non-ordinary occurred last night ... bad finger placement hitting too may wrong ones on the computer keyboard likely.

Reaper started:

Inserted instrument in new track. I see sforzando is in the VSTi list. Clicked it and sforzando started, I dragged a trombone and it sounds with a key press. Added a second instance, flute, it sounds with a key press.

Hit a key on the Yamaha YPT-330 (installed last night) and MIDI seems to be working, but with latency sounding in the 0.3 to 0.6 second range. I've not opened the manual yet or touched any but the on/off button. About the same latency using the sforsando virtual keyboard.

It seems a sforzando .DLL version would be useful to reduce GUI windows.

So, only inserting a .sfz file using sforzando's file menu is not working, far as my limited know-how goes thus far.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
JenNeil

Default different problem here

So, here it is. I downloaded both the SSO and SFZ sample player. Then, I am able to have it exported in the MIDI item in Reaper. But the problem is, once I play the tracks, the Reaper mutes them all! The "M" button will turn red, then mutes them all. What seems to be the problem guys? help!

Neil. Thank you in advance.
JenNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
msundh

If reaper mute the tracks is probably is too high signal.
Too high volume on the track?
I would suggest the TX16Wx VST which is my favourite sfz player.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
xpander

Yep, this summer I had to swap Sforzando for the TX16Wx in my light portable setup. Sforzando player doesn't work portable, nor do they have any intention to make it so. Too bad that GPO works also on Aria engine, got me rethinking my portable setup options.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #11
lostforest

Default SFZ players work super well in Reaper

I'm really enjoying my first playing with Reaper. Plogue's Sforzando is free and works perfectly in Reaper. https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/
There are SFZ instruments available at https://samplesoundbank.com/ (www.samplesoundbank.com) and they are having a sale at the moment.

Once you've loaded the SFZ player and a SFZ patch instrument, you can add Reaper's VSTs (or third party VSTs) to do awesome effects. I usually layer an amp sim then a reverb after loading an electric guitar, etc. VSTi are the instruments (e.g. SFZ player) while VST are usually FX.
lostforest is offline   Reply With Quote