Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #1
SawdustAndDiamonds
Human being with feelings

Default "Calmish" : A dreampop-ish album with too many layers

Hi!

I made an album, Calmish, which can be streamed at callummm.bandcamp.com. It's about the outskirts of Oslo, some hills in Yorkshire, escapism, beer, Brexit, etc. Any feedback is very welcome!

I've been using Reaper for 7 years now, and I'm still falling even more in love each day. I did some ridiculous stuff for this album, including recording lots of percussive sounds in my room and then building a sampler using 61 tracks, with each track containing a JSFX Midi Note Filter and an instance of RS5K. Another song had 130 tracks and 300 FX, but Reaper handled it all like a champ. All EQ/delay/compression is Reaper stock plugins.

I hope you like it!

Callum
SawdustAndDiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
boydwgrossii

I am really digging this!

This mix is great and the feel is just chill on this 2nd song.
boydwgrossii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
L_Grizzle

Sounds fantastic. I'm a firm believer that you can never have too many layers, as long as you make room for them all (which you seem to have done a wonderful job of).

Can I ask what your signal chain looks like on your vocals? Almost sounds like a vocoder/talkbox or something. I've been thinking about adding some vocals to my music, but hate the timbre of my voice, and am looking for ideas how to alter/mask/make more instrumental sounding.
L_Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
sai'ke

Oh, this is very nice. Sounds very rich. Lots to listen to

Also sounds like good coding music.

Thanks for this
Old 08-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
slooky

excellent!
slooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
SawdustAndDiamonds

Wow, thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Grizzle View Post
Sounds fantastic. I'm a firm believer that you can never have too many layers, as long as you make room for them all (which you seem to have done a wonderful job of).

Can I ask what your signal chain looks like on your vocals? Almost sounds like a vocoder/talkbox or something. I've been thinking about adding some vocals to my music, but hate the timbre of my voice, and am looking for ideas how to alter/mask/make more instrumental sounding.
For the vocals, the star of the show is iZotope Nectar. I use that to snap the voice to the closest note in key and then provide the harmonies. Otherwise, there's the ordinary suspects - a de-esser, compression, EQ, reverb. The signal from that then also goes to a send with more de-essing, a 100% wet delay and a subtle phaser. This is the first time I'd ever used my own vocals, and all the effects made me a lot less self conscious! Nectar is also really fun to use for live performances, and it can also be used as a vocoder (which I do on another track). I'd highly recommend it!
SawdustAndDiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
fred garvin

Trippy! Trip-pop? If I heard Y3P somewhere I would try to find out what it was. Oh, also I like it.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote