Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #361
airon
Human being with feelings

I use this every day.

Setup the editor like the document says.

I have two custom actions that open up a copy or the source file itself in the RX editor.

Here it is:
Item: Open items in primary external editor
Item: Set selected media offline

and for copies (I use 32-bit floatingpoint WAV which can never clip and RX can process btw)

Item: Open item copies in primary external editor
This works just fine. I have one shortcut to online the media again. I sometimes decrackle a small piece and bring it back in within 5 seconds that way.

Last edited by airon; 04-01-2016 at 02:29 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #362
boka

Airon,

This custom action solved my issue. I had not remembered setting the item to offline.

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I use this every day.

Setup the editor like the document says.

I have two custom actions that open up a copy or the source file itself in the RX editor.

Here it is:
Item: Open items in primary external editor

and for copies (I use 32-bit floatingpoint WAV which can never clip and RX can process btw)

Item: Open item copies in primary external editor
This works just fine. I have one shortcut to online the media again. I sometimes decrackle a small piece and bring it back in within 5 seconds that way.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:14 AM   #363
boka

What do you think of having a new forum category created for Post Production users of Reaper? Personally I think it would be really useful to bring those folks together and create topics to discuss things that are specific to post production such as dialogue editing, ADR workflows, custom actions specific for PP, video formats, sound effect libraries...etc.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 AM   #364
airon

Maybe it could be Video and Post Production.

For me it's a question of what users who stay away will miss. Video and post go well together. Post production also brings in a lot of advanced automation users.

A new forum section would canibalize users from General, OSX(lots of PT folks are OSX), Tips&Tricks and others, but it would bundle some resources.

For video users in particular it would be an advantage, as knowledge could exchanged berween beginning and advanced video users and advanced audio post folks.

Vordio would do well in this section. AATranslator would maintain a support thread in it I'm sure.

Maybe call the section:
Video, Post-Production & Automation

Thoughts ?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:22 AM   #365
boka

Airon,

Absolutely agree with the naming to target a broader audience.

Quote:
Maybe it could be Video and Post Production.

For me it's a question of what users who stay away will miss. Video and post go well together. Post production also brings in a lot of advanced automation users.

A new forum section would canibalize users from General, OSX(lots of PT folks are OSX), Tips&Tricks and others, but it would bundle some resources.

For video users in particular it would be an advantage, as knowledge could exchanged berween beginning and advanced video users and advanced audio post folks.

Vordio would do well in this section. AATranslator would maintain a support thread in it I'm sure.

Maybe call the section:
Video, Post-Production & Automation

Thoughts ?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #366
Runaway

Quote:
AATranslator would maintain a support thread in it I'm sure.
Always happy to contribute
Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #367
boka

Any forum administrators reads this thread?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #368
airon

We'd need to post a thread here in this forum for such a thing. The admins cannot be expected to traverse every thread.

The current idea stands at Video, Post-Production & Automation.

Any more ideas, and even more important, any more arguments for the existence of this new forum section ?

So far it would bring users together on the subjects that are spread all over the forums at this time. This includes video editing and fun with its formats, post production and all that brings to the table, automation with its potential for advanced mixing strategies and probably a lot of fringe subjects around those three major topics.

Does anyone want to write a good introduction to that forum section, or perhaps even volunteer for an admin position for it ? Not that anyone is actually asking yet, but it pays to think ahead on both documentation and administration.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #369
analogexplosions

Default great ideas!

I was just yesterday thinking that it'd be perfect if there was a Video/Post-Pro subforum here. All the threads I sift through to find would all be in the same place!

I've been away from Reaper for the past few months on a network project requiring PT, so it's nice to come back and see so much work being done on the automation front.

Airon, your automation enabling lua script is an absolute gift! I had been doing most of my work as Take FX because a lot of these surround-centric tools I'm using have a shit-ton of parameters. Also, FabFilter Pro Q, Its crazy to have to click that many check-boxes just so I know every single parameter will be automated!

On projects that I can use Reaper, I swear, they're so much more a joy to work on still. Editing is so far superior, the sessions can be much cleaner and better organized, the combination of Reaper and Vordio is a lifesaver, its working great with Eucon, and it all keeps getting better and better.

I can see Reaper taking off for boutique post-facilities very quickly. Even the big stages could theoretically start adopting it. Many of the newer NYC based places seem to be going the route of having AVID S6 consoles, and S3's for edit rooms and Eucon has been working like a charm.

Kind of a rambling post, but yeah.. tl/dr version is:

Let's get a Video/Post Production subforum happening, and lets see if we can help make this the perfect tool for us!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #370
boka

Quote:
Does anyone want to write a good introduction to that forum section, or perhaps even volunteer for an admin position for it ? Not that anyone is actually asking yet, but it pays to think ahead on both documentation and administration.
I can do that Airon when I am back at home on the week of 18th. In the meantime, I hope others who have been posting in this thread will weigh in.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #371
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
Airon, your automation enabling lua script is an absolute gift! I had been doing most of my work as Take FX because a lot of these surround-centric tools I'm using have a shit-ton of parameters. Also, FabFilter Pro Q, Its crazy to have to click that many check-boxes just so I know every single parameter will be automated!
I'm glad it was as useful to you as it is to me. Confidence .

Ok, then let's get our proposal in order. First of all, I'll try to distill all the posts down to a few good reasons for having a new forum section on video and post production.

Automation is a pet peeve of mine, but it kinda derives from post production. Any automation folks could also start discussing topics such as automation items and parameter linking across tracks. Should that be a good thing for this proposed new forum section, I'd keep the term "Automation" in the forum section head. Otherwise, it wouldn't be necessary.

A feature request post in this forum section will be noticed by the admins and Cockos themselves. So far, this is what I've come up with.

A New Forum Section : Video, Post Production & Automation

A post by boka began a discussion about the merit of a new forum section that focuses on the topics of video, post production and automation.

At this time posts about the three topics are spread across several forum sections, such as the support thread for AATranslator in the General forum section, the Video FAQ in the Tips and Tricks section, the Vordio support thread in the OSX section, the post production feature request thread where the discussion about the proposed forum section came about, several VCA Q&A threads and the many threads on video, post production and automation that are spread all over the general forum section.

All that information could be bundled in Video, Post Production & Automation.

The downside to the current situation is that most people will be unable to find relevant information. They will either give up, email Cockos support or post a new thread that will once again drop to obscurity quickly in the General or OSX forum section.

The upsides would be dramatic. Users that are interested the sections topics would be compelled to post information and support requests where knowledgeable users are likely to answer them. Relevant threads would be easier to find, as other sections contain an abundance of other topics.

Producers of post production tools such as AATranslator and Vordio would keep their support threads in such a section.

The next item we need to provide is an introduction to the section. Perhaps even write an FAQ on each of the topics. I can probably cannibalize my video support thread and collect up-to-date information from other video users to compile a decent FAQ for video. I can contribute to a post production FAQ as an AATranslator user, dialogue editor, re-recording mixer and so on. The automation FAQ would be interesting to do. It's mainly just a couple of commands but we'd need to provide information to the beginning users most of all. We should not fall in to the trap of assuming that a reader knows anything about the topic.

Last edited by airon; 04-11-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 AM   #372
boka

Everything that you have put together sounds good to me. Reason I particularly like having the 'video' word in the title is that I am sure there are lot of ' one man band ' guys here so it would be awesome to have conversations about motion graphics, color correction, editing... anything that falls under video production.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 AM   #373
airon

Does anyone want to add anything to our written request for a new forum section ?

What else should we add, take away or modify ?

Tomorrow I'll write up the request and post it here for inspection. If there's a word, paragraph or the entire post you'd like to improve on, please just say so. The best idea wins. Post production depends on collaboration after all, and it should be no different here.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:24 AM   #374
mrlimbic

A Video, Post Production & Automation forum would be great.

A lot of tips & tricks specific to post would make more sense & be easier to find in it's own forum. Editing lots of inconsistent location audio is quite different from music where material is much more consistent & easily controlled.

The kinds of actions & scripts that can make post easier may be quite different and not very relevant to others.

Things do seem to be picking up slowly reaper post-wise. I even saw a mainstream ITV job ad explicitly asking for competence in reaper.

Also, I am planning some Vordio/reaper integration in later versions, say where Vordio dumps metadata, that reaper scripts can then pick up and use. None of that would be relevant to musicians.

Would sound design be included in this forum? What about all the indie SFX library creators & sound designers. A lot seem to be using reaper and what they do would also fit well with post, even if they are also targeting the games industry.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #375
boka

As far as sound design I think we've got to be more specific as music producers do sound design too. This is one of the biggest confusion in one of the facebook groups I'm in. There are around 1500 users in that particular sound designer group but 95% of them produce music. What they do might be similar in some cases but often times it's just tweaking synths. (I do not look down on them, do not misunderstand me) So the way I would incorporate this into the thread is something like " sound design for film : creation of digital sound effects, foley and location recording "

What do you think?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #376
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boka View Post
So the way I would incorporate this into the thread is something like " sound design for film : creation of digital sound effects, foley and location recording "

What do you think?
Agree. Good idea to be sound for picture specific.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #377
airon

Post production incorporates all those disciplines.

We'd do well to have a couple of stickies.

Scripts for post production perhaps. An FAQ thread for video, post production and automation, one each. And from then onwards we wing it.

Part of the post FAQ definitely has to be a bit about session format translation via AATranslator and Vordio. AATranslator has a wide variety of conversion formats while Vordio focuses on XML formats and reconforming.

Video formats is always fun. Best-of format and how to make them on both platforms. I've been using the TEncoder to produce Huffyuv MKV files without sound, which work like gangbusters but are damn huge(0.5 GB/min @540p). MPEG Streamclip takes forever to transcode to Quicktime PhotoJPEG on some clips, but things are small(and a little more ugly). And so on.

Mrlimbic , perhaps you'd like to write a bit about Vordio for such as FAQ. Runaway probably wouldn't mind either. He knows what AATranslator can do more than anyone and I only use a small subset of its features.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #378
mrlimbic

Quote:
Part of the post FAQ definitely has to be a bit about session format translation via AATranslator and Vordio. AATranslator has a wide variety of conversion formats while Vordio focuses on XML formats and reconforming.

Mrlimbic , perhaps you'd like to write a bit about Vordio for such as FAQ. Runaway probably wouldn't mind either. He knows what AATranslator can do more than anyone and I only use a small subset of its features.
I really need to make some Vordio tutorial videos soon. I just haven't had time yet. I keep adding new functions & they grow in complexity over time. There are features in it that I'm sure people don't notice or understand the point of from some of the emails I've had, and people tend to prefer to watch a walkthrough video to reading long manuals these days.

Vordio will still remain focused around post production, not become a general purpose translator (I don't fancy the pain of supporting quirky AAF/OMF implementations and will happily leave that to others). Some functions in the pipeline will also be handy for non sound editors too (such as project metadata dumps, compare projects etc).

Some of the recent enhancements to REAPER also make a bunch of new features possible. For instance nested clips could now be mapped to subprojects and the improved stretch markers could now handle NLE time ramping/remapping.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #379
analogexplosions

Two big thumbs up to all of this.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #380
plush2

A big +1 from me too.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #381
boka

Here is the link of the thread Airon created to request the subforum. Feel free to weigh in there too.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=175523
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #382
Tim Rideout

Default Snap to embedded audio markers

Hi all,

I have a post-prod feature request - I hope this is the proper place to post it: I do a lot of music editing. When the composer gives me the audio files, often they are in Stem format - so i group them together for easy editing. I have asked him to embed his markers in the WAV files - so that when I make a cut to a section, it is EXACTLY on the bar line or loop point. This is pretty standard - but I have yet to find a way to make Reaper SNAP to the embedded audio markers.

Is this a feature already, maybe a setting in the Prefs that I missed? Or is it just a grossly overlooked feature?

Any insight you post guys have would be amazing.

THanks!
T
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #383
X-Raym

@Tim Rideout
Item snapping is based on their snap offset position.

I have some script to move the Snap Offset to audio item cues.
http://i.giphy.com/26BkLMZrFqWjR707m.gif
  • X-Raym_Move selected items snap offset to next cue.lua
  • X-Raym_Move selected items snap offset to previous cue.lua
This workaround will help you snap your item based on their cues.

Sure, snapping on item cues would be better native so that we wouldn't have to move the snap offset every time.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #384
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post
Hi all,

I have a post-prod feature request - I hope this is the proper place to post it: I do a lot of music editing. When the composer gives me the audio files, often they are in Stem format - so i group them together for easy editing. I have asked him to embed his markers in the WAV files - so that when I make a cut to a section, it is EXACTLY on the bar line or loop point. This is pretty standard - but I have yet to find a way to make Reaper SNAP to the embedded audio markers.

Is this a feature already, maybe a setting in the Prefs that I missed? Or is it just a grossly overlooked feature?

Any insight you post guys have would be amazing.

THanks!
T
I would also love native item markers as well as timeline markers for a number of reasons (items translated from NLEs are often full of useful markers that don't really make sense as timeline markers, they really belong to the item).

However, there is a script that simulates something similar by associating a set of timeline markers with an item and then moving them when the item does. It would probably be possible to adapt that script to do what you want.

Anyone remember which script it is?

EDIT: It may be this one from heda which manipulates markers/regions

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=155582

Last edited by mrlimbic; 05-19-2016 at 10:12 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #385
X-Raym

@mrlimbic
planetnine Item Marker Tool
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/22792/PL9-I...l%20beta18.eel

Definitely, native item marker is highly desired.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #386
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@mrlimbic
planetnine Item Marker Tool
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/22792/PL9-I...l%20beta18.eel

Definitely, native item marker is highly desired.
Ah yes. That is the script I saw before.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #387
Tim Rideout

Thanks X-raym; this may be a feasible work around for now.

When editing, I do a lot of sliding of the edge handles - or simply clicking the WAV file and hitting the SPLIT command to split at the marker. The fact that the Reaper cursor doesn't snap to embedded WAV markers is a pain!

Quote:
@Tim Rideout
Item snapping is based on their snap offset position.

I have some script to move the Snap Offset to audio item cues.
http://i.giphy.com/26BkLMZrFqWjR707m.gif
  • X-Raym_Move selected items snap offset to next cue.lua
  • X-Raym_Move selected items snap offset to previous cue.lua
This workaround will help you snap your item based on their cues.

Sure, snapping on item cues would be better native so that we wouldn't have to move the snap offset every time.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #388
mrlimbic

Quote:
Thanks X-raym; this may be a feasible work around for now.

When editing, I do a lot of sliding of the edge handles - or simply clicking the WAV file and hitting the SPLIT command to split at the marker. The fact that the Reaper cursor doesn't snap to embedded WAV markers is a pain!
You could create a version of X-raym's scripts that do snap the cursor to cue markers instead, or even cut and move it.

Most of the code will be same. Probably only a couple of lines to change what happens based on the markers. i.e. instead of moving the sync point, could move the item so cue marker on cursor.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #389
X-Raym

@Tim Rideout
Quote:
The fact that the Reaper cursor doesn't snap to embedded WAV markers is a pain!
Try the action to go to next item cue, and then split seletced items at edit cursor pos.

You can also create markers from item cue points and split items at projec markers.

These are not the official actions name but they exist ^^
Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #390
airon

I whipped this up quickly. NO way to paste this stuff so I'll just write down this custom action :

Item: Select item under mouse cursor
...hover the mouse cursor on top of the item to be cut at the cue point
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
Move edit cursor to next cue in items
...the important one. Here you can swap out the action to go for the previous cue if you want to approach from the right of the cue
Item: Split items at edit or play cursor
...there are plenty of split commands available that do all kinds of things. This is the simplest one.
You'll have to position the mouse cursor over the item and to the left of the cue you want to cut at. That's all.

You can probably use these custom actions in the mouse modifiers as well. That way, you'll always cut at the cue points with absolute precision without having to be precise about it.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #391
planetnine

Quote:
@Tim Rideout

Try the action to go to next item cue, and then split seletced items at edit cursor pos.

You can also create markers from item cue points and split items at projec markers.

These are not the official actions name but they exist ^^

I've always put Project Markers at the cue markers and then worked from there, but putting the snap offset at the cue marker for snapping seems the most sensible suggestion for this workflow.

Mr Limbic -you want beta17, not the last version (see my sig). It doesn't deal with post 5.12 stretch markers yet, though.

>
Old 05-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #392
planetnine

Quote:
I whipped this up quickly. NO way to paste this stuff so I'll just write down this custom action...

I did suggest a "Copy selected action description" menu item in the action list context menu, but I think it was in the pre forum -time to add a proper FR for this one, methinks...

>
Old 05-21-2016, 01:29 AM   #393
geoffroy

Quote:
I have yet to find a way to make Reaper SNAP to the embedded audio markers.
I usually import the audio markers into reaper markers with the following action
Item : Import item media cues as project markers

Then make sure your snap settings allow snapping to markers.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:02 AM   #394
X-Raym

@planetnine
FR created here : Copy Action Name - Cockos Confederated Forums :P
Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #395
Tim Rideout

Thanks so much, all;

These are all wonderful work-arounds and hacks - but would it be possible to just insert a SNAP TO ITEM MARKERS in the Snap options menu?

Last edited by Tim Rideout; 06-13-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Tim Rideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #396
Tim Rideout

I have mapped a shortcut to MOVE EDIT CURSOR TO NEXT (and previous) CUE IN ITEMS. When I do this, at least I can perform a SPLIT at the exact right spot. That's a start - but adding the feature would be easy, I'm sure...
Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #397
airon

Preview automation features have arrived in the latest pre-releases.

Check out the thread for pre-release 5.22pre1 for some details. It's working well already so t is being discussed onlyin the pre1 thread.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #398
Teo Oliver

Default Video aware automation points

When mixing for film or tv, a lot of times we need to do automation points based on frames. For the items there’s some workarounds for moving them with video awareness using custom actions, but for automation its hard to do it with losing a good the workflow.
Teo Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #399
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo Oliver View Post
When mixing for film or tv, a lot of times we need to do automation points based on frames. For the items there’s some workarounds for moving them with video awareness using custom actions, but for automation its hard to do it with losing a good the workflow.
Would some kind of 'snap to frames' for points be useful? That wouldn't be hard to make, if doesn't exist already.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #400
mrlimbic

I added basic support for BWF metadata injection in Vordio 4.7.2 when it transcodes video.

Now what would be really nice is if REAPER supported iXML as well as BEXT as you could squeeze a lot more interesting free form info into an iXML.

I'd like to be able to search REAPER DBs from something in the iXML.

At the moment the DB only uses info from BEXT. This file definitely has iXML.

Code:
FILE "/Users/john/Development/bugs/BWF/12Y03M24-002.WAV" 368359004 0 1473590870
DATA "d:sTAKE=002  sSWVER=1.2  sFILENAME=12Y03M24-002.WAV  sTAPE=120324  sTRK1=Mix L  sTRK2=Mix R  sNOTE=TC is Time Of Day  "

Last edited by mrlimbic; 09-11-2016 at 04:44 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote