Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
eduboy3000
Human being with feelings

Default Fixed FX slots

Hi

If possible, is there a chance the fx slots in reaper mix window can be fixed like in protools where you can insert an fx into the last slot instead of how it currently is. Lets say one wants to insert a console shaping plugin at the end of the chain from the start of a mix. Currently this involves moving it down each time a new fx is inserted. Just thought this might be a cool feature and make adding effects less of a hassle if fixed slots are created for them instead of the current format its in

Thanks
Edward
eduboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduboy3000 View Post
Hi

If possible, is there a chance the fx slots in reaper mix window can be fixed like in protools where you can insert an fx into the last slot instead of how it currently is. Lets say one wants to insert a console shaping plugin at the end of the chain from the start of a mix. Currently this involves moving it down each time a new fx is inserted. Just thought this might be a cool feature and make adding effects less of a hassle if fixed slots are created for them instead of the current format its in

Thanks
Edward
Just drag the plugin overtop and it will insert above
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Gianfini

No I think the OP is aksing to have FX inserted at given slots even letting empty slots in between. For example Track A, slot 1 Equalizer, Slot2 Nothing, Slot 3 Compressor

This is actually not possible in reaper, possible in other DAWs

Why should this be useful?

Because the "other daws" allow to mute/unmute the FX for a given slot for selected tracks. So if I put Compressor always in slot 6 on 20 tracks, I can select the tracks and disable/mute only the compressor FX in each track with one click and leave the others active

So +1

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
No I think the OP is aksing to have FX inserted at given slots even letting empty slots in between. For example Track A, slot 1 Equalizer, Slot2 Nothing, Slot 3 Compressor

Because the "other daws" allow to mute/unmute the FX for a given slot for selected tracks. So if I put Compressor always in slot 6 on 20 tracks, I can select the tracks and disable/mute only the compressor FX in each track with one click and leave the others active

So +1

g
Ah very cool.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
eduboy3000

Another scenario is creating templates with analog modelling plugins on the last slot to emulate mixing on a console and giving me the freedom to insert plugins as needed in the previous slots. Currently it involves a lot of moving round which can really save time if the fx slots were foxed and not flexible.
eduboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:38 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Another scenario is creating templates with analog modelling plugins on the last slot to emulate mixing on a console and giving me the freedom to insert plugins as needed in the previous slots. Currently it involves a lot of moving round which can really save time if the fx slots were foxed and not flexible.
Insert 8 empty plugins(aka dummies) and replace it with what do you want.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Insert 8 empty plugins(aka dummies) and replace it with what do you want.
This doesn't let you have features like "Mute row" or "add to row" etc...

I'm sure you could do this with a bunch of named jsfx and a bunch of scripts, but ewwww. Workflow killer.

Fixed FX slots would be great. +1
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Hi Just thought this might be a cool feature and make adding effects less of a hassle if fixed slots are created for them instead of the current format its in

Thanks
Edward
Hello-you can achieve what you require just using a single or multi busses-for eg;
Track 1 contains media--> a new track is made with custom fx chain and the track channel count+pins are set to multi inputs (upto 64 channels)
FX 1 might be an eq set to receive inputs 3/4-->sent back to master io 1/2 (or another new bus)
FX 2 might be reaverb set to receive inputs 5/6->returned to 1/2 or w/e.
FX 3 might be reapitch set to receive inputs 7/8->returned to 1/2 or w/e.
Plugs can be reaplaced at positions they are in the stack.
The pin routing allows for on-the-fly input swapping.

Each fx can be controlled separately-including mutes.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Fixed FX slots would be great. +1
What do you need this for? I would like to see only two actions: add FX to the first slot/last slot, or even some advanced like insert the plugin before/after n-th plugin in the chain. Replace n-th slot in the FX chain would be awesome too.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Luster

Quote:
What do you need this for? I would like to see only two actions: add FX to the first slot/last slot, or even some advanced like insert the plugin before/after n-th plugin in the chain. Replace n-th slot in the FX chain would be awesome too.
Because of this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=34
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Ok, I see. How I see the simplest implementation:
1. We have a special plugin, just dummy.
2. When we click on it, FX browser appears.
3. When we delete our plugin, it it replaced by dummy one.
4. That's it.
It should be possible with scripts now, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:38 AM   #12
Luster

Quote:
1. We have a special plugin, just dummy.
Well, that would fill the slot -> no better visual orientation, again you have to read. It's all about the pattern recognition which is not possible right now.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:15 AM   #13
vitalker

Quote:
Well, that would fill the slot -> no better visual orientation, again you have to read. It's all about the pattern recognition which is not possible right now.
Call your plugin "-" or use other character(s) that won't confuse you. It is the best option. IMHO. The devs will never implement it. My solution is the best. It would be also helpful to have colorful slots, so we will know what do we have.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #14
Robert Randolph

Quote:
The #1 use for me is when I want the same plug-in on all tracks at the same position. Things like console emulations are a common use.

Then I want to be able to add/remove/replace/mute/bypass/move all of those plug-ins on the same row at the same time. I also want to be able to easily locate a specific plug-in by its onscreen position, which fixed slots make possible.

Currently I do this with a bunch of empty jsfx and some half-ass scripts. It's a pain in the ass to manage.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #15
Pet

Hi, Jon posted this just yesterday in thread "what is your favourite, dummy/does nothing plugin?":
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I downloaded it and renamed that "placeholder" in the FX-window (just deleted the name and left it empty) and achieve EXACTLY what Luster shows in post #10:
Quote:
No reading, can be saved within a FX-chain, drag'n drop it to other tracks and functions like "bypass slot xy" work too.
Cool.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
Luster

Still a compromise. Joggling around with spacers all the time in the mixer just for a better view? No thanks. Just imagine you have to insert spacer items between items to arrange correctly.

The FR is IMHO still valid.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #17
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
I downloaded it and renamed that "placeholder" in the FX-window (just deleted the name and left it empty) and achieve EXACTLY what Luster shows in post #10:
Sorry, but I've tried the same and result was unsuccessful. How
I imagine the implementation of it:
0. Special slot mode that allows all the operations above.
1. We should have an option to use some plugin as empty slot or to have just an empty slot(as FX).
2. When we click on it, FX window is appearing.
3. Action to replace selected FX with other FX and action to replace FX under mouse cursor(both in Mixer and GUI).
4. Possibility to paint slots with different colors(using color palette).
5. Action to add n empty slots to the FX chain.
6. Actions to add/remove FX to/from FX chains of selected tracks to/from i-th position.
7. Actions to mute/bypass/place the same FX to i-th slot.

Additionally, this dummy plugin/empty slot FX should appear in this mode after removing/moving FX.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 AM   #18
bFooz

Quote:
You can also offline those placeholder fxs. It will change their color, depending on the theme.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #19
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
You can also offline those placeholder fxs. It will change their color, depending on the theme.
Yeah, I know. It is a workaround - accepted. But still a compromise. Because then you won't recognize "normal" offlined fx so easy. It's a interface aspect you have to think about and with every change in the mixer you have to reapply. We shouldn't think about interface aspects that much. It should just work. And it's doable. It's not asking about ARA integration.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
bFooz

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It is a workaround - accepted. But still a compromise. Because then you won't recognize "normal" offlined fx so easy. It's a interface aspect you have to think about and with every change in the mixer you have to reapply. We shouldn't think about interface aspects that much. It should just work. And it's doable. It's not asking about ARA integration.
Yes, I agree it should be easily doable. Maybe optional all together with optional number of fx slots. After that number, effects would just stack like now.

The workaround would be probably scriptable - to keep all slots consistent without manual reoganisation each time.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #21
vdubreeze

+1 absolutely. I just had this discussion the other day with someone who told me "if you needed blank insert slots you're doing something wrong" ; /

Dummy fx work for some but not all of the results of the inserts behavior. Just standard experimenting with changes in a chain, where you want to bring in a different EQ and compressor and A/B both against what you have, which you can't use Replace FX for, and the added go to the bottom, is what I come up against. Any solution I've tried is more work than just moving the fx to the correct slot every time. It really would be great, and an improvement, if plugins could stay in their slot no matter what happens before them, and if we could leave blank slots in a track without all the kludges that aren't quite solutions.

Sure it's not the end of the world, every time a new plugin goes to the middle of the pack you have to manually move it up from the bottom. But it's one of those things that doesn't make sense from a UI point of view to have to do, especially the 30th time you've done it that night. From a programming point of view I have no clue except what I read here, and I get it if it just can't be done. I always figured it had to do with how Reaper utilizes both the track slots and the FX window as visual representation and how the FX window would react to removed FX and retained slot. But I see no advantage at all in the fx positioning behavior as it is as opposed to other options.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 AM   #22
Luster

Well said.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #23
deeb

Quote:

if this is the reason to not being able to automate fx bypass/disable/mute +1

but You really think that's the reason? probably automatable fx bypass/disable/mute should be a distinct FR.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #24
Tuberizer

Quote:

So +1

g
Definitely +1

I've been waiting for this to come to Reaper for ages.

If the quoted reason why isn't enough, there are several other sonic/workflow reasons. For example see what grammy winning producer Chris Lord Alge has to say about it in this mixing tipp: https://youtu.be/-CqAxVuFiHc?t=1m44s

Last edited by Tuberizer; 06-30-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Tuberizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #25
wjmwpg

This is a no brainer. I should be able but a plugin into any slot I want . . . the first, second, eighth, whatever, without having Reaper override my decision and put it where Reaper thinks it should go.

So a big +1!
Old 09-16-2017, 02:03 AM   #26
drummerboy

Would love this! +1!
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #27
wjmwpg

I put a console "system" emu plugin as my last plugin on every channel in my mixes. However, it's the first plugin I place on every channel when starting a mix. In Logic I used to have a template setup that had these plugs there from the beginning, sitting at the bottom of all the FX slots, and every plugin I added to a channel during the mix went before/above the Console emu plugin into one of the many available/empty slots above the Console emu.

Now in Reaper if I start my mix with the Console emu plug on every channel (as I'd like to), that means that every other plugin I add during the mix will first have to be inserted after the Console emu plug and the dragged up above it . . . why?!?

At the very least, if we can't leave empty FX slots above plugins, how about we gain the ability to place new plugins inbetween existing plugins when instantiating? I could live with that . . . though leaving empty FX slots between plugs would be preferred.

For the time being I'm going to create a dummy JS plug as someone suggested and create a new template that have like eight of these in a row followed by my Console emu plug on every channel - but it's ludicrous that I have to do this on a major DAW in 2017.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #28
ivan.lt

How do you insert plugins?

I just tried dragging, the new plugin is inserted before the one it is dropped on. So you CAN insert to the top of the list without further rearranging. Or to any other position in the list, for that matter.

Now, having shortcuts to "insert to position #1, #2, etc." would probably be handy to some. That would be a good feature.

Aside from visual lining up, do you want slots to turn them on/off across all channels? That's a cool feature, but as of now you can't do this in Reaper (correct me if I'm wrong). Rather than adding slots for this purpose, IMO it would be much more useful to add group actions based on plugin name. "Turn on/off/bypass/delete all plugins whose names contain ..." and so on. Isn't that flexible! You know you can rename plugins, right? The parameter could be a regexp for even more possibilities.

PS. I've decided to add a little more prose, feel free to skip it. One of the current (unslotted) list's strengths is that it's an ordinary list. You can select items with Shift-Up/Down or marquee select, you can Ctrl-select unconnected items, you can select all with Ctrl-A. Then you delete or bypass or copy/paste with the usual shortcuts. You can select any number of plugins from one track and quickly copy them to another track or tracks. Introducing slots must not break this ease of use.

Last edited by ivan.lt; 09-21-2017 at 01:16 AM.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #29
SamCiavarella

big fat +1
SamCiavarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
Dragonetti

++++++1
Dragonetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #31
Dragonetti

++++1
Dragonetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #32
BaniBani

Default +1

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

It'd be great to have a trim plugin at the end of the chain, show the gain knob in track controls and mouse-wheel-scroll in it at any given time. A pre fader gain of sorts.
Or a limiter, protecting from overs.
Or
Quote:
a console shaping plugin
Bypassing fx rows would be so quick...

Last edited by BaniBani; 02-06-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Adding some content other than just '+1'...
BaniBani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #33
ivansc

A sorta +1 from me. In a typical theme there are around 18-20 insert fx slots and a similar number of slots for track send.
I would love to be able to free up some of that real estate to extend the height of faders.
I seldom if ever use more than three or four plugs per track & it would be great if we could set a maximum or indeed create themes that allow, say, 8 or even 10 maximum.
Sorry if I am hijacking... thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone else agreed.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #34
Etalon

No need for fixed slots, just look at this reply:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...88&postcount=9

OR

use this script:
Script: cfillion_Toggle track FX bypass by name.lua
Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #35
Etalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
i already wrote earlier, why manual positioning of fx is needed.
And script you show is a completely different thing and not useful for me at all.
Here is another workaround, which may or may not a solution for you, until the devs add slots to Reaper:

assign a midi control (if you have a midi controller) to "Adjust track FX parameter 01 (MIDI CC/OSC only)" to a CC
Then lets say you have a ReaEQ on one track and a Pro-Q on another
add their bypass as the first parameter on their tracks
select these tracks and send midi cc data
The first parameters on the selected tracks should bypass at the same time
Old 02-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #36
Etalon

An another workaround might be adding a prefix or suffix to the name of every eq or comp plugin you have and instead of using the plugin names when bypassing, use their prefix or suffix
Old 02-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #37
mamazai

Pro Tools style alphabetic fx and send slots.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #38
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
Pro Tools style alphabetic fx and send slots.
Yeah. I have no experience with the software but from screenshots it looks pretty much perfect. Additional thing to consider:
In a future we will see insert FX in the TCP I hope. It has to be compact. There the PT like approach (fixed slots with alphabetic numbering) shines.
Currently in the pre forum you can see that the devs adding shortcuts to open up specific FX. IMHO it looks very quickly implemented and not really worked out. The alphabetic numbering and fixed slots would add better possibilities to get a flexibel (so it works for everyone) shortcut system to reach the inserts.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #39
mamazai

It does not have to look the same as pro tools. though the reaper can do better, I'm sure. On my first opportunity to list more important things for Reaper 6, slots were one of them.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #40
EvilDragon

It's not garbage and it's far from unneeded for certain workflows.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote