Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Error opening devices

I just downloaded the latest version of Reaper. I have been putting this off for quite a while as I suspected something would go awry.

And lo and behold when I open Reaper or when I stop and then start a tune I get a window telling me Erro opening devices. The following midi inputs could not be opened. Then I get a list starting with Legacy keyboard midi in...

The window provides the option of disabling the message. Should I do this or can I expect further problems later on?

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
RobertP

There are other posts about this here but yes, just tell Reaper to 'forget' the old ones - think its right click on each one, not at my machine at the moment.
You only need do this once and any new devices will appear when connected and switched on.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks Robert but I don't quite understand that. The window just says "don't show this window again". If I click on the "midi" box in the window it takes me to the midi devices and I see the missing midi devices are listed there with the comment not present and the option of resetting.

Do you mean just click on don't show this window again, or should I do something about resetting the midi devices?

Anton
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
solger

Jon from the Reaper Blog shows an overview of the new MIDI Device Preference feature here (starting at 0:16) : https://reaperblog.net/2018/09/595_update/
Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Thanks a lot Solger.
I hope I haven't made a huge mistake because I told the window to stop appearing as it was getting on my flipping nerves!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
I hope I haven't made a huge mistake because I told the window to stop appearing as it was getting on my flipping nerves!!!
You can re-enable the warning windows again via Preferences > Audio: Warn when unable to open MIDI Devices and Warn when enabled MIDI Devices are not present - which is also shown in the video
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Burnsjethro

Saved my bacon once again Solger.

But what use is this window to me? The only midi I use, up to now, are drum tracks and other bits of percussion. I have no idea what the midi items referred to in the window are. Will I need these further on down the road?

Anton
Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
But what use is this window to me? The only midi I use, up to now, are drum tracks and other bits of percussion. I have no idea what the midi items referred to in the window are. Will I need these further on down the road?
In general the new feature gives you some additional options for managing MIDI Devices (like is there are warning when MIDI Devices are enabled in the Preferences, but currently not connected. Or the option to change the order of the MIDI Devices listed in the Track Input menu, etc.). The warning window is probably mainly useful if you have a bunch of different MIDI devices ...

Quote:
I have no idea what the midi items referred to in the window are.
If you like, maybe you can post a screenshot?

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Burnsjethro

I have made a screenshot of what it says in the midi section of preferences and luckly you said that because things like focusrite I do use.

What do I have to do now, enable, reset,....?

Anton

Last edited by Burnsjethro; 02-20-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
I have made a screenshot of what it says in the midi section of preferences and luckly you said that because things like focusrite I do use.

What do I have to do now, enable, reset,....?
Basically enable only the MIDI Devices which you're using.
If there any (older) MIDI Devices listed which you don't have or use anymore, you can select them and use Right-Click > Forget Device.

Not sure though to which Keyboard or MIDI Device the 'Legacy Keyboard MIDI' entries are referring to. But the other listed MIDI Devices should be quite easy to identify by the name (Presonus Faderport, Focusrite - probably the MIDI ports on your audio interface, Line6 Mobile Keys 49, StroboPlus HD Tuner, etc.). And keep the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth Output disabled (as shown in your screenshot)

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Burnsjethro

Thanks for your advice. Easy for you maybe but the only one I recognise is focusrite, which is indeed my interface but I also have to select that when setting up my keyboard to use to add drums (kick and snare, for instance). I can't remember offhand how I do it (written down somewhere) but I have to click on focusrite at some stage and then choose all channels.
Is there anywhere I can see all the midi devices I am using.

I don't recognise any of the others. What if I enabled all of them, or ignored all of them except focusrite, which is the only one I think I have ever used? Or do I just wait until I try to use a new midi device and will it then tell me it's missing?

I am a bit worried about making a false move (like updating the Reaper program when my instinct told me not to, but another voice said nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong,.... - that's the recording stuck, supposed to be a joke).

Anton
Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Burnsjethro

in fact looking at the screenshot again do I just click (on focusrite) for example to enable them? It says the other ones are not present as far as I can see.

And if Legacy keyboard midi 1, 2,3, in is enabled (as it shows here) why did it keep telling me it could not load them?

In fact whose great idea was it to alter the midi settings in the first place?

Anton
Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
solger

Quote:
Is there anywhere I can see all the midi devices I am using.
The MIDI Devices currently used in Reaper are the ones set to [Enabled] or [Enabled+Control] in the MIDI Preferences.

Quote:
I don't recognise any of the others. What if I enabled all of them, or ignored all of them except focusrite, which is the only one I think I have ever used? Or do I just wait until I try to use a new midi device and will it then tell me it's missing?

I am a bit worried about making a false move (like updating the Reaper program when my instinct told me not to, but another voice said nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong,.... - that's the recording stuck, supposed to be a joke).
Nothing to worry about. You can't do something wrong.

List entries which are set to 'Forget Device' will show up again once the MIDI device is connected again.

And you can also start by enabling just the Focusrite (so you can use any MIDI devices connected via MIDI cable to the Focusrite). In case you come across any another MIDI Devices which you want to use, but aren't responding in Reaper, enable those ones as well in the Preferences.

Quote:
in fact looking at the screenshot again do I just click (on focusrite) for example to enable them?
Yes. This is all shown in the video I linked in post #4 ...

In addition: www.reaper.fm/videos.php#aQ1iHnkqiXA

Quote:
And if Legacy keyboard midi 1, 2,3, in is enabled (as it shows here) why did it keep telling me it could not load them?
These entries show [N/A: Enabled], because they are set to [Enabled] in the MIDI Preferences, but are currently not Connected or not Available (N/A). So you can probably disable these entries for now.

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: video link added
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Burnsjethro

Well, Solger, thanks for setting my mind at rest.

I have to copy all my questions and the answers and put them all in one place. I must have made all the mistakes in the book. With probably more to come.

Anton
Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #15
beingmf

Hm, I also had no other choice but to choose "Forget device" - now all the renamed i/o's (to the respective synths or input devices) are gone, all I see are the interface's i/o number.

A warning would have been nice tbh.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #16
ivansc

If push comes to shove you can always re-install the drivers. Will only replace your current device, once it has found it. And predictably, you may have to re-boot your system after re-installing the current driver