Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
DevonPete
Human being with feelings

Default Extend MIDI item length without looping?

Here's a real Noob question. I work mainly with midi and need to constantly extend the midi part while I'm working. However I always seem to then create a loop, which is not what I want!

How do I extend a track item's length without applying looping?

I know this has to be dead easy....

Thanks.
DevonPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
KevinW

Right click on the item. Hover over the top entry in the menu (Item settings), and untick the option "Loop source."

Edit: you can change multiple existing items at once by first selecting the items you want to change, then right click on any one of them, as above.

You can set this as the default by choosing Options/Preferences/Project/Media Item Defaults/ and unticking the option to "Loop source for new MIDI items".
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
DevonPete

THANKS KevinW. I spent hours trawling through the manual and couldn't spot it! The trouble is not knowing the exact terminology in the first place.

I knew it had to be easy. And now it is. Really appreciate the quick response from you.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
copacetic

This drove me absolutely bonkers when I started with Reaper as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
DevonPete

I've just spent 2 solid weeks working through the manual and testing... testing... testing until I feel I have some basic grounding in Reaper before attempting an actual project. Of course, sod's law, I fall at the first hurdle. I spent 3 hours yesterday wondering why every time I moved an item on one track the others moved too, until I discovered that "ripple editing" mode was enabled!

Thanks for not making me feel even more of a plonker than I actually am.

On "other" DAW forums, in the past, with a question like this, they would have all been queuing up to kick the crap out of me just to prove how "knowledgeable" they all were.

Using Reaper and being able to access the wealth of knowledge on this forum is an honour and real privilege. I like it... I feel I've finally come home at last (In DAW terms that is!)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
copacetic

Yup, the folk here and inordinately helpful.

I bought the community as much as I bought the software.

Reaper can be a bit fiddly though, and for me at least it required a bit of a paradigm shift, to be comfortable with it, although I'm still officially a super-noob.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Gerry

Just a belated thanks for asking the question Pete :-) I have been scratching my head for an answer to this for a while and finally decided to Google the question.

Yup up came this thread, so simple when you know how LOL. Also bang on with the types of replies this question would have evoked on some other DAW forums.

Great forum that I seldom post on but read at least once a day if not more.

Best,

Gerry
Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
jmp909

can that be done with a key modifier? couldn't find an option... but i think it's likely sometimes you want to repeat, sometimes you just want to extend the item length..adding a feature request...
jmp909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
faun2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
This drove me absolutely bonkers when I started with Reaper as well.

lol, still drives me mad now.

-

I am gonna switch that setting off - Thanks!

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Xenophilobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp909 View Post
can that be done with a key modifier? couldn't find an option... but i think it's likely sometimes you want to repeat, sometimes you just want to extend the item length..adding a feature request...
Any luck with this?
Xenophilobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
wjmwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp909 View Post
Has this been implemented or formally requested?
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 AM   #12
slipstick

There's an action "Item Properties: Loop item source" which toggles it on/off and can be assigned to a shortcut key if that's what you mean ("key modifier" doesn't really mean anything to me).

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #13
Scoox

I would too like this to be assignable to a mouse modifier, it makes a lot of sense. It is a very useful feature but as it is now it gets in the way, and frankly I'm surprised it's enabled by default as most of the time I need to resize items, not loop them. This is another example of why Reaper defaults can put new users off.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #14
kisiek

Ditto. It should be assignable under Mouse Modifiers -> Media Item Edge. I usually want my items to loop, but sometimes while editing I need to make an item just a bit longer, it would be great if this could be accelerated with a mouse modifier.
kisiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Johnny Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
There's an action "Item Properties: Loop item source" which toggles it on/off and can be assigned to a shortcut key if that's what you mean ("key modifier" doesn't really mean anything to me).

Steve
Hi, I was searching for a quicker way to switch between these two modes and found this thread...

I just found the two scripts you were referring to, but no matter what I try, I can't make it work...I tried creating buttons shortcuts on main toolbar and keyboard shortcut...Please help, thanks !
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #16
zappadave

If you look at mouse modifiers, you can add an action with a double click.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #17
Johnny Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
If you look at mouse modifiers, you can add an action with a double click.
I searched and didn't find anything...

Right now, I'm in "item" section with "double clic"

-edit- that's ok, I found it...

Last edited by Johnny Rico; 08-07-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #18
zappadave

Look in preferences/ midi modifiers
If you look under double click, you can add from the action list.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:08 AM   #19
Stephen Butler

I suspect that this particular issue has turned many a happy musician into a half-crazed, screaming, partly-bald lunatic. I was caught out on this and I like to think of myself as an all-seeing, all-knowing, clever smartarse. Couldn't figure it out for days, until I decided to Google it and then pretend that I knew it all the time.

So yeah, duh, it's obvious innit? You just right-click on the MIDI track, select Item Settings, and then Loop Source! Noobies, huh?

I must admit it was a bit strange confronting this issue at first, and I wondered why it was that Reaper sets this as its default way of doing things, rather than the other way around. Still, there it is.

Anyway, thanks for the advice - this is a great forum!

Cheers,
Stephen
Stephen Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #20
vanhaze

If you are interested in super fast workflows (no mouse dragging needed!) regarding:
a) Extending an Item's Length to time position where mouse is pointing on.
OR
b) Looping an Item to time position where mouse is pointing on
Check these 2 Custom Actions i made, download them and import both in Reaper Action List, then assign custom shortcuts to them:

For situation a):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cbrxyf386...perKeyMap?dl=0

For situation b):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfxhvlu3q4...perKeyMap?dl=0

Workflow:
Select an Item.
Place your mousepointer (in Arrange or ruler) on a certain time position
Execute Custom Action a) or b)
Outcome: The selected Item will lengthened or "looped" lengthened to that time position.

Beware:
These 2 Custom Actions are Snap dependent.
Example: You have Snap set to ON and Grid set to 1/1.
The lengthening / "looped lenghtening will be snapped to 1/1

I am addicted to creating superfast workflows in Reaper with Custom Actions which ommits any timeconsuming mousedragging.
And this is why i love Reaper so much: it let's me feed that addiction
Old 12-31-2018, 01:27 AM   #21
DLA23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonPete View Post
Here's a real Noob question. I work mainly with midi and need to constantly extend the midi part while I'm working. However I always seem to then create a loop, which is not what I want!

How do I extend a track item's length without applying looping?

I know this has to be dead easy....

Thanks.
Yeah, I struggled with this for days. Eventually I just recorded blank tracks and edited them from there.
As a complete idiot I'm finding Reaper to be increasingly frustrating. For just one simple operation I've spent ages exploring all the menus and sub menus, right-clicking on numerous areas and searching through literally hundreds of options. Sometimes it's just so frustrating that I give up. Yes, OK the forum is very helpful and responsive but some of my questions seem so embarrassingly basic that I feel a new section of the forum is needed for total imbiciles.
DLA23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #22
ChrisBlue

what annoys me is why they spend so much time writing esoteric possibilities but don't respond to the obvious problems
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #23
vanhaze

For a great part, i have to agree with you.

I follow each Reaper (pre)update closely here and install it right away.
But then when i look at the release notes, i often scratch my head about what it is all about, most is complete abacadbra for me and then i wonder if i ever will need that abacadbra.

Been using Reaper for more than 10 years now and while being mostly quite happy with it, i indeed wonder why devs just don't have a look at the more basic DAW stuff to refine/implement such like this whole loop source debate.
I find myself constantly programming workarounds with Custom Actions, which i quite like, but then again, most functionality for these Custom Actions should be just natively available in Reaper, in a logic and apparent way (place).
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
what annoys me is why they spend so much time writing esoteric possibilities but don't respond to the obvious problems
I don't see it as not responding to problems as much as having very different priorities than mine. But I agree with the sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
For a great part, i have to agree with you.

I follow each Reaper (pre)update closely here and install it right away.
But then when i look at the release notes, i often scratch my head about what it is all about, most is complete abacadbra for me and then i wonder if i ever will need that abacadbra.
LOL! Same here

Quote:
Been using Reaper for more than 10 years now and while being mostly quite happy with it, i indeed wonder why devs just don't have a look at the more basic DAW stuff to refine/implement such like this whole loop source debate.
I find myself constantly programming workarounds with Custom Actions, which i quite like, but then again, most functionality for these Custom Actions should be just natively available in Reaper, in a logic and apparent way (place).
When I listened to an interview with Justin maybe almost a decade ago he was asked about how he himself uses Reaper, and his response was a real "Ohhh, now I get why" moment for me. It's come a long, long way in satisfying a range of users but it seems that it wasn't originally designed with real world recording studio recording experience behind it, or a desire to identify those needs and fulfill them. More like here's a great recording program that can be customized for the user needs that are on our radar, of the users we envision working the way we do. And even as it has evolved into a much more mature and useful product, I think its origins as being built upon the kind of program it was dictates a bit of why, even with its updates, it doesn't totally satisfy some of us.

But I think people like us are in it because such a responsive developer and great community with a DAW that fits that description is a hundred times better than our nearly ideal DAW with an absent developer and lame/no community!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #25
Dehenry

Quote:
i indeed wonder why devs just don't have a look at the more basic DAW stuff to refine/implement such like this whole loop source debate.
I agree. Reaper is so (over-)sophisticated in many respects, but at the same time there are some DAW basics where it just feels lagging. Loop handling is one of them. If you have a looped 1 bar Midi item and want to make it two bars long, you have to erase all loops by moving the end of the item left to the end of the item source, switch off looping in item properties, extend the item to two bars, switch on looping again and drag the right edge of the item to othe right to loop it - five steps for such a basic task! A much quicker and more intuitive way to do this is to drag the item source end marker in the Midi editor or on the inline Midi editor, but I am not sure many people even know this because it is just a thin line that is hidden in the editors, and it is not mentioned in the manual. Why can't the item source length be changed directly in the arrange?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #26
ivansc

Tod, I and several others solved this issue the old fashione way.

Make all your MIDI tracks one big continuous item, like all the old Skool sequencers did back in the beginning.
Looping items is fine if you want to do cut n paste stuff, but for people who actually play the parts in track by track or as ensemble recordings, the stock reaper setting is not much use.
Mind you, I have adaptend my workflow over the years, so when I need a drum part that is pretty repetitive I cut n paste & then glue all the items so I can go back in and add fills hits etc. to make it sound like it wasnt played by a robot (or me repairing all my crap timing and clumsiness errors!)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #27
brummbear

just found a great solution here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...41&postcount=5

Select MIDI item, press E, extend (without looping). Optionally glue item afterwards.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #28
justcosmic1

Default Extend item instead of loop when dragging edge

Yeah I agree that the default behaviour is not very intuitive and either a key modifier or a button on the tool bar should be there by default.
However - the beauty of what Reaper is good at, means that I have been able to make a little cycle action which includes the "Item properties: Loop item source" plus a "dummy toggle" (sws action).
I then assigned both the toolbar button I created AND a keyboard shortcut to my custom cycle action.
NOTE if you assigne the keyboard shortcut directly to the original action, then you easily get the button out of sync with the status; but if you do as above, then the button will switch on and off with the keyboard shortcut too.
IMO this is arguably as easy or easier than a keyboard modifier as you don't have to keep reaching for the keyboard every time you want to extend an item.
And you can easily see at a glance which mode you're in by whether or not the button is illuminated.
I haven't uploaded the action and it's on a different machine, but let me know if anyone wants to see it. I've not yet got my head around posting such things to the Reaper stash; but I clearly should do
justcosmic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #29
Dehenry

Thanks for the tip! I tried it, but the button still does not show the loop status. I used SWS dummy toggle 1, but I guess it doesn't matter which of the dummy toggles you use?

But strictly speaking, a toggle loop button or key command does not really help much in Reaper because of the counterintuitive manner in which midi loops are handled. If I have a one bar item that is looped over 16 bars and switch off looping, it turns the item into a non-looped 16 bar item of which 15 bars are just empty. And if I switch on looping again, the previous loops do not reappear (that's how I would expect a "toggle loop" function to work), but the item remains as it is. Only when I drag it out to the right it gets looped again, but the looped source is now 16 bars long. I can't think of a situation where that makes sense.

I have used Reaper for several years now but I can't come to terms with this. I'd really like to know how other users deal with this issue. Glueing all repetitions like it was mentioned before to me means even less flexibility because if I want to change just one note, I need to make that change manually throughout the whole item instead of just once in the source item.

It would make so much more sense if the item source length and its repetitions could be edited separately directly in the arrange.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 AM   #30
Pintspiller

Thanks for the tip! I had been creating a new midi item next to the original and choosing to "glue items".
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #31
LeftyStrings

Wow, this forum is really great. A guy who answered a question NINE years ago just solved my problem! This was driving me nuts too.

Last edited by LeftyStrings; 07-02-2020 at 05:37 PM.
LeftyStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #32
LeftyStrings

I just wanted to mention my own experience and say that one default setting in Reaper is fantastic: CC data moves with MIDI notes. In Studio One, not only is this not the default setting, but you actually can't do it at all - you have to move notes and CC data separately. Imagine having to separately move and position all of the sustain pedal data for a piano performance! Not fun.

Logic does this but it requires a settings change in the piano roll functions menu. Reaper is the only DAW I've used that does this by default.

Last edited by LeftyStrings; 07-02-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #33
ivansc

....which goes to show that, despite all the claims to the contrary, there is no such thing as a standard set of commands etc in "all the other DAWs beside Reaper" as many detractors claim.

Kinda funny that as Reaper users this seems to slide right past us. At least it has in my case rigth up until I read this thread again.

And I had forgotten about the E key to extend a MIDI item!
Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #34
Starpainter

Is there any way to have the 'loop item source' deselected at startup? I mean, can you chose to have it on or off in a certain setting?
Starpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:32 AM   #35
LeftyStrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpainter View Post
Is there any way to have the 'loop item source' deselected at startup? I mean, can you chose to have it on or off in a certain setting?
There is: under the Options menu, click on Preferences, then under the Project heading, click on Media Item Defaults. Now remove the check mark next to "Loop source for new MIDI items." You may also want to remove the check mark next to some of the other options there.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:17 AM   #36
Starpainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyStrings View Post
There is: under the Options menu, click on Preferences, then under the Project heading, click on Media Item Defaults. Now remove the check mark next to "Loop source for new MIDI items." You may also want to remove the check mark next to some of the other options there.
Thx! I'll pick up the tab when we go to the pub
Starpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:00 AM   #37
LeftyStrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpainter View Post
Thx! I'll pick up the tab when we go to the pub
You’re welcome - nice music on your YouTube channel, by the way.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:29 AM   #38
LeftyStrings

By the way, if anyone also does music on iOS, Auria has a great forum too. It’s a lot like Reaper’s, I would say, in that the people are friendly and they do their best to answer questions and not make one feel stupid. It’s not as active as Reaper’s forum, but that could probably be said of most music software forums.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #39
Rugbrød

Thank you. I'm so glad I found this thread. This "loop" feature has been driving me absolutely insane. I just couldn't figure out what to call it and how to disable it.
Rugbrød is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #40
Pintspiller

This keeps driving me nuts as I only need to do it once every couple of months and have to Google it each time. LOL
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote