Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper in The Heat of the Moment.

Here in Holland very warm (above 30 degrees).

Today worked whole day in Reaper on several Projects: audio stuttering/ tearing all over the place.
What gives ?:

My macbook 2015 retina is simply too hot, can't release it's warmth, thus performance throttling all over the place.
I am working with external Dell display hooked up via DP port to macbook.(abit scaled).
Problaby this setup is also the reason for extra heat creation.
Luckily enough, the renders in Reaper didn't contain any hickups (thankgodforthat).

I had to think all the time today about the hilarious new macbook 2018 heat-throttling issues
Old 07-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Ozman

Prolly, you need an external Audio Interface.
You probably need ASIO4ALL or an external audio interface.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
serr

Use a fan utility app and run the fans at full 6000rpm when needed. Fans are cheap.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
vanhaze

thx for your help serr !
Any specific fan utility you can name ?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
serr

'SSD fan control' is easy to find and free.

That was aimed at anyone upgrading their SSD during the period where Apple decided they didn't trust SMART status on SSD's for their iMacs. It's a simple fan controller either way.

I've been meaning to figure out how to reprogram the set points for the fan control. Someone must have some info on that but I haven't stumbled across it yet. Digging into reprogramming your firmware variables and such is one of those things where you look up at the clock and it's 3 days later! So I haven't dug into that.

If I'm doing audio or whatever on my laptop that needs healthy CPU, I just fire the fans up to 6000rpm with SSD fan control first. Fans are the cheapest part in the laptop. I say abuse them!

PS. I don't think kludging ASIO4ALL into OSX is going to help here.
Or did I miss a punchline?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
vdubreeze

I don't know if you can spare the extra fan noise when it's on, but I ran into a similar issue a few years back during a ridiculous NYC heatwave. Since I needed to immediately keep pushing through I took the quietest small fan (not too efficient but very quiet) in the apartment and aimed it right at the MBP from a few feet away. Also, as I wasn't in the mood to try solutions in graduated levels, I put an ice tray on either side of the fan around knee level. Did the trick.

I would randomly turn the fan off when I needed the silence.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #7
vanhaze

Aha, i see, good tip,thank you for your help !!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
serr

Something I've thought about but haven't tried yet...

They make this "poor man's heat sink paste" in the form of a silicone based pad material. Saves manufacturing time vs applying paste. You could take some of that and use it to couple the ends of the heat pipe and fins to the bottom case of the Macbook Pro. Then you could get some cooler device to attach to the bottom of the case. (Not sure what's available there off the shelf though. Those gimmicky plastic things with the wimpy fans they sell as "laptop coolers" pretty much do zero cooling for you.)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Here in Holland very warm (above 30 degrees).

Today worked whole day in Reaper on several Projects: audio stuttering/ tearing all over the place.
What gives ?:

My macbook 2015 retina is simply too hot, can't release it's warmth, thus performance throttling all over the place.
I am working with external Dell display hooked up via DP port to macbook.(abit scaled).
Problaby this setup is also the reason for extra heat creation.
Luckily enough, the renders in Reaper didn't contain any hickups (thankgodforthat).

I had to think all the time today about the hilarious new macbook 2018 heat-throttling issues
Have you tried any of the solutions for keeping a laptop cool, such as a laptop cooling pad or even one of the laptop stands that holds it up for airflow under it? Also, if it has a fan, and it has some age, they tend to get packed with dust and their cooling efficiency drops far enough to cause issues - if so canned air is your friend. I'm unfamiliar with the machine but I think there are things you can do to help this some if it is only heat.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Have you tried any of the solutions for keeping a laptop cool, such as a laptop cooling pad or even one of the laptop stands that holds it up for airflow under it?
I've had friends just use two books as a stand to allow airflow underneath, and it worked quite well.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
vanhaze

Guys, many thanks for all your tips !

@karbomusic: A few months ago, i indeed bought canned air cause i suspected the macbook had caught a lot of dust during the years.
And this was very true: i opened the macbook and it was really full of dust, mainly on the 2 fans.
So i did a good cleanup with the canned air.
I think, if i hadn't done that, my macbook heat problems would be even worse than nowadays.