Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Midiland
Human being with feelings

Default Project

When I create and save a new project, I would like it to contain any midifile, track template, FX chain, renders and anything done in this project in one file, as it is the case in Logic or Studio One. This way, I can put my project to a USB key to go with it to somebody to add let's say a BASS track, or optimize the drum tracks, instead of being forced to bring my computer there to have everything pertaining to this project. Is this possible? If not, I will not be able to go on with REAPER.
Thank you for anybody to give me an advice.
MIDILAND
midiland09@yahoo.fr
August 7, 2018

Last edited by Midiland; 08-07-2018 at 06:46 AM. Reason: adding the date to my post
Midiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Paul99

If only there was something of help pages available...wait....there is! There is a Reaper manual! Actually you have to read the first 54 pages and there it is already: saving of a project!

It really pays off reading the great manual from Nicholas and watching the fantastic video's from Kenny. Almost all the topics you run into in your first Reaper steps is dealt with in so very easy to comprehend ways that even somebody like me can understand it.
I guess you can too.
Good luck and have fun!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
serr

You don't actually want to combine everything into one file. (Zip would do that if you did FYI. Or make a disk image of a directory.) You more want to make what's called a "portable install" which is simply installing Reaper to a directory other than Applications (eg. a USB volume). You further edit a new blank reaper.ini file and put it in this directory which triggers Reaper to put all Application Support files in this same directory on first launch. If you want plugins you friend doesn't have, you can install them to the same USB directory and then point Reaper to them (default is plugins installed to your OS Library).

Search the forum or google for the step by step.

Note, depending on the size/complexity of the project you're working on you may want to still record audio to a local SSD. A USB flash drive would be a bottleneck there. Copy the files over when you're done.

Last edited by serr; 08-07-2018 at 07:34 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
prezbass

Can't speak to Logic, but Studio One doesn't save a project to a single file. It saves it to a set of folders- for my S1 implementation it saves everything into a folder named after the song, and in that folder there are a few others- Bounces, Cache, Media and History. If I need to take a project to another studio that runs S1, I copy the folder named after the song along with the subfolders onto a USB drive and plug that in at the other studio and open it up. Done this a bunch, and it works fine- never had a problem. (differences in the installed plugins notwithstanding)

I'm 99% sure Logic does the same thing.

And Reaper can, too. You just have to set up your default template in Reaper to always save media to a relative path- copy that path and all it's subfolders and you're good to go.

Reaper has one other little goodie that neither Logic nor S1 has, and that is the ability to have a portable installation of Reaper on that drive, too. You take the USB drive to wherever you are going and the entirety of Reaper can be on whatever computer you move to.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
prezbass

I failed to mention the recording to a USB stick or drive- you don't want to do that with any DAW on any computer (Mac, PC or Linux) because the USB subsystem of all computers is WAY slower than a disk is. That's not Reaper's fault- that's USB's fault. Even when I go to other studios to work with either Reaper or S1 projects, I always copy them to the local computers hard disk so that everything is as fast as it can be, and when I'm done, I copy it back to the USB drive.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but that's just the cost of doing business this way.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
Midiland

Default project deltails in Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
If only there was something of help pages available...wait....there is! There is a Reaper manual! Actually you have to read the first 54 pages and there it is already: saving of a project!

It really pays off reading the great manual from Nicholas and watching the fantastic video's from Kenny. Almost all the topics you run into in your first Reaper steps is dealt with in so very easy to comprehend ways that even somebody like me can understand it.
I guess you can too.
Good luck and have fun!
Thanks you so much for your reply. I checked the manual and read some details on how to arrange a project save. It already settles part of the issue I have. Now I get a file when I start a new project, in which I can put things that were used in this project and what belongs to it (midifiles, renders). Of course, track template and FX chain will not be in there... So the solution, if I want to bring my project to somebody, would be to freeze the tracks made with track template.
Again thank you and REAPER is wonderful DAW!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Midiland

Default project

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post
Can't speak to Logic, but Studio One doesn't save a project to a single file. It saves it to a set of folders- for my S1 implementation it saves everything into a folder named after the song, and in that folder there are a few others- Bounces, Cache, Media and History. If I need to take a project to another studio that runs S1, I copy the folder named after the song along with the subfolders onto a USB drive and plug that in at the other studio and open it up. Done this a bunch, and it works fine- never had a problem. (differences in the installed plugins notwithstanding)

I'm 99% sure Logic does the same thing.

And Reaper can, too. You just have to set up your default template in Reaper to always save media to a relative path- copy that path and all it's subfolders and you're good to go.

Reaper has one other little goodie that neither Logic nor S1 has, and that is the ability to have a portable installation of Reaper on that drive, too. You take the USB drive to wherever you are going and the entirety of Reaper can be on whatever computer you move to.
What you explain you are doing in S1 is exactly what I would like to have in REAPER: save everything to a file named after the song. So you just give a detailed explanation of what you do in S1, what I did also. My problem is to find how to have this in REAPER.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
serr

I think there's a little language barrier here.

Midiland, I think you are saying the word "file" for both "file" and "folder".

You want everything saved in a FOLDER named after the song.

folder = directory
serr is offline   Reply With Quote