Old 06-05-2018, 03:03 AM   #1
miguelmarques
Human being with feelings

Default macOS Mojave

I know it's early and we've got plenty of time but I just wanted to report that Reaper is working fine on DP1 of macOS Mojave. All plugins I own also work fine. I'm actually surprised, for a DP1 everything I use works.
miguelmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
vanhaze

Thank you for this info !

- Did you upgrade to Mojave from an older OSX or did you do a clean install ?
- Also wondering if Mojave brings any improvement under the hood, regarding DAW CPU performance.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
miguelmarques

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Thank you for this info !

- Did you upgrade to Mojave from an older OSX or did you do a clean install ?
- Also wondering if Mojave brings any improvement under the hood, regarding DAW CPU performance.
I've installed Mojave on my personal MBP, upgraded from High Sierra.

I'm not noticing anything new or improved as far as CPU/speed/performance. So far the differences are mainly related to the new apps, new GUI/dark mode, Safari and so on.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
vanhaze

Aha, again, thank you for this useful info
Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
BenK-msx

Watching...

So is it time to allow that high Sierra update
Old 06-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
shanabit

Does this OSX work with 2010 Cheese Graters?

Im thinking Apple is end of the lining on High Sierra here for my machine
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
serr

They claim 10.14 will run on everything compatible with 10.13. Now, the 10.13 and 10.12 installers had some bugs that blacklisted some compatible machines and those bugs were never fixed by Apple to my knowledge. (There's been a 3rd party fix for a while now.) I think the $64,000 question will be if they clean that up. Would be great to see a new version of OSX without so many undotted i's and uncrossed t's.

Basically all the unibody design machines (silver body iMacs and Mac Minis, unibody MBP's, "cheese grater" Mac Pros) run the latest and greatest along with a few select models from before that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques View Post
I know it's early and we've got plenty of time but I just wanted to report that Reaper is working fine on DP1 of macOS Mojave. All plugins I own also work fine. I'm actually surprised, for a DP1 everything I use works.
check video performance please. H.264 playback and rendering from reaper. thanks
Old 06-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
Futur8me

I'm excited about Mojave.., but i was just reading that apple will be depreciating OpenGL and OpenCL in Mojave and pushing their Metal API for graphics.., so i'm now very curious as to why cockos are not putting time and energy into the Metal API for Reaper instead of these icc18 builds..?.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:19 AM   #10
vanhaze

Good question, would like to know that too.
But i am wondering how much benefit Metal API would give in DAW (Reaper) Land
regarding (GUI) performance.
From what i understood, mostly graphic software would benefit most.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
miguelmarques

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
check video performance please. H.264 playback and rendering from reaper. thanks
Unsure how to test it. I'm not a video guy.

If you send a sample and let me know exactly what you're looking for I can definitely try it.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Vasily

could you please check if the AU High Sierra bug has gone in early Mojave?
it's very simple: when you install a new AU plugin, to use it, you must reboot (and this began in High Sierra).
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
They claim 10.14 will run on everything compatible with 10.13.
That is incorrect.

MacOS Mojave Compatibility

Supported Macs:

MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac Pro (2017)
Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

Support dropped:

MacBook (Late 2009 and Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 to Late 2011)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 to Mid 2011)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 and Mid 2011)
iMac (Late 2009 to Late 2011)
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #14
Vasily

well, since they dropped the font antialiasing in 10.14, I don't think anyone having a non-Retina display (like every Air) will like this release.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
That is incorrect.

MacOS Mojave Compatibility

Supported Macs:

iMac Pro (2017)
Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

Support dropped:

MacBook (Late 2009 and Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 to Late 2011)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 to Mid 2011)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 and Mid 2011)
iMac (Late 2009 to Late 2011)
Yeah, I saw this too. This is going to be pretty hard to make up a Rube Goldberg-ish defense of how this isn't intentionally locking out perfectly compatible hardware this time around. It was already hard the last two times! We can say the installers had bugs and all but Apple still hasn't fixed them. At any rate, this is why they are being accused of intentionally locking out older machines.

If the flagship mid 2012 Macbook Pro is supported, then the late 2008 - 2011 machines are too. I see there's a dosdude1 patch for the beta already. Trying to lock out support for most of their actual pro model machines to prop up the new shitty models? This isn't good. I'll chime in again after testing it (on my late 2011 MBP and my 2009 Mac Pro). The Mac Pro's need a metal supporting graphics card to be compatible.

Not too impressed with what they're calling the new Macbook Pro either.
No ports. Only USB-C.
No magsafe charging port even! Ratty cheap downgrade there.
No screen shield glass.
Just a single M.2 slot.
There's this security chip business that has system wide encryption and security that allegedly could be said to aim this machine at corporate C-level types with business secrets or CIA or FBI types. (It's specifically aimed at detecting and preventing any hardware modifications - even with identical parts from identical models. Security against physical access.) A simpler answer though is it's aimed at preventing any 3rd party repairs or mods. It's a real Rube Goldberg-ish stretch to defend for sure.

Haha, if you select the faster CPU option and the 4TB M.2 SSD option (yes, this one is admittedly silly expansive by itself) you get the price to hit $6700 on their store page! Personally I'd buy a 2011 model with a failed 2nd AMD GPU on Ebay for $250 and have a lot nicer, more reliable and more capable machine to show for it (which I did some time ago - the Intel GPU is a fine thing). Sad days for Apple.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
Futur8me

serr I am convinced you can not handle change at all.. haha.. your so negative.. the new MacBook Pro that was released today is a hell of a lot better then the last models.. usbc is the future its the universal connector, and any machine thats older then 5 years is absolutely ancient in todays paradigm of fast moving tech.., change is inevitable accept it or you will be left behind whinging and moaning all the time like an old fart... haha.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
vanhaze

Well said, totally agree.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #18
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
the new MacBook Pro that was released today is a hell of a lot better then the last models.. usbc is the future its the universal connector
how many USB-C devices do you have? just name them.

at this moment I have three USB 2.0 sound cards, one Thunderbolt, some USB 2.0 external drivers, a USB 2.0 MIDI keyboard and some SD cards (in my video and audio recorders). I'm able to plug them all without any adapter or dongle in my 2015 Macbook Pro (and that's just 3 years since it was made). heck, my recent iPhone also has a USB 2.0 cord, not USB-C.

I'll say more. I have an ultraportable Air 11, that also has Thunderbolt to plug in my audio interface without any dongles. with current ultraportables (Macbook 12 with USB-C but not Thunderbolt) I won't be able to use my audio interface at all.

there are many users that are disappointed with the things that Apple did with the ports on their computers recently and it has a good reason behind it.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:18 AM   #19
Vasily

Quote:
No magsafe charging port even! Ratty cheap downgrade there.
highly agree on this point as well. me and my cats trip on my MagSafe cables several times every day, thus my laptop is just disconnected from power, but does not fall down.

it's very strange that Apple dropped their signature trip-over-safe connector just after Microsoft adopted the same magnetic design for their chargers. 12 years of evolution thrown out to trash just to `be different' (i.e. inconvenient and not compatible with their old devices) again.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #20
Futur8me

I cant help but feel your being very anal.. haha.

USB-C is usb 2 and 3 and 3.1 and thunderbolt..., it is the future universal connector, you can not deny this fact.., if my current iMac had USB-C then I would be using a dongle obviously, eventually USB-C will be the main plug on devices.., and so when its time for me to get a new Mac and devices either in 2019 or 2020 i will see what is available and buy it.. simple.

and omg it has no MagSafe!... shock horror!.. its the end of the world!.

haha.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #21
cyrano

You can't even plug in headphones without a 19$ dongle.

Left side ports are slower than right side ports. Leading to unnecessary support calls for stuff that works if plugged in to the right port.

Etc.

I'm all for the idea, but the way Apple has implemented it, seems flawed. Not as bad as the new keyboards (they are getting sued for those), but far from what Apple used to be capable of. And it's not the only thing. Have you seen ratings for the new Magsafe charger on the Apple Store? I can't remember Apple ever putting out that kind of crap.

We're getting used to crap, but I won't pay Apple's prices for it. I mean, the fully loaded newest MB Pro is almost 7.000$. And since you can't add most stuff later, you have no choice if you want 32 GB of ram and a big SSD. A comparable machine from HP is 3.000$...
Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #22
Futur8me

Its wasted energy whinging and moaning about what you feel about apple.., facts do not care for feelings.., the great thing about competition is you have choice so just buy and or make your own PC.

There is still a 3.5-mm headphone jack on this new MacBook Pro.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #23
serr

Yeah, "change" is not acquiescing to lower quality.

I changed from Protools to Reaper when PT crashed and burned. I didn't stubbornly keep using it and making excuses for it. Turned out to be a huge upgrade. I changed to using a computer and DAW for running live sound when that became possible. That was a magical upgrade in about 7 different ways! I happily change to new things when they do more for me.

The ugly truth is Apple did a full stop with quality work after Jobs died and started churning out cheap garbage. These are not reliable machines. The 2012 flagship models were still in the pipeline when he passed. I've been doing after market repairs/refurbs/mods on Apple stuff and I learned pretty quickly to not touch anything they made after mid 2012. The part will fail again soon. Or something else expensive. The customer will not be having it. So this gig is nearing its end after the old pro machines have run their course.

Aside:
A "universal" port is a fine idea. If the TB3/USB-C port is a better physical design than the TB1/2/displayport jack, then OK. But none of this justifies removing currently in use ports along with the charging port! When the TB/display port was first introduced it was alongside current firewire and USB ports. Heck the express34 ports were still there for a couple more years!
Is this new port a better physical design? And while we're at it... wasn't thunderbolt supposed to be optical and 5x faster to begin with? What the heck happened there?

Anyway, your first two questions should be:
What accessories (interfaces/drives/displays/etc) are sold today with TB3/USB-C being the only option to connect with?
What performance increase was realized with one of said accessories because of TB3 that cannot be achieved with TB1/2 or firewire?

Last edited by serr; 07-14-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #24
Vasily

Quote:
USB-C is usb 2 and 3 and 3.1 and thunderbolt...
Macbook 12 has USB-C connector, but has no Thunderbolt in case you don't know it. Some other computers do this as well.

Nevertheless -- I've asked you for a list of your USB-C devices and you didn't respond, so I assume you don't have any and just trolling.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Macbook 12 has USB-C connector, but has no Thunderbolt in case you don't know it. Some other computers do this as well.

Nevertheless -- I've asked you for a list of your USB-C devices and you didn't respond, so I assume you don't have any and just trolling.
USB-C is thunderbolt you ignoramus.. haha, you obviously can not read because I did respond to your question about my current hardware situation.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
serr

Since this is an audio forum...

Watch out for HDMI ports with audio disabled too! Both on select Windows computers and home surround receivers. Thought you were going to simply plug your TB to HDMI cable from your computer into your new surround receiver and just hit play on the surround library? Yeah - surprise! - you just got scammed!

In general, you can't assume anything from a physical port anymore nowadays.

Watch out for display ports that don't do thunderbolt as well.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #27
cyrano

Quote:
USB-C is thunderbolt you ignoramus.. haha, you obviously can not read because I did respond to your question about my current hardware situation.
It's not. It CAN include TB, Displayport... even iSCSI. But it's not necessary. So the Macbook doesn't have TB, some PC's don't have DisplayPort, but they do have USB-C.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...erbolt-display

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

In fact, the MAJOR disadvantage of USB-C is that you never know beforehand if a certain device will work with a USB-C adapter. Most FW harddisks work, but some FW audio/video devices don't. And NO FW device that needs bus power works, except with an external PSU, if that is possible.

So, who's the ignoramus here?

Last edited by cyrano; 07-14-2018 at 12:50 PM.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #28
cyrano

Quote:
Watch out for HDMI ports with audio disabled too!
Don't even get me started on that. We have a fleet of HDMI capable projectors and screens, but no way of predicting if it'll work with Apple's USB to HDMI adapter. And even if it works with one Mac, there's no certainty it'll work with the next Mac.

We're downgrading everything to use VGA ports...
Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #29
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It's not. It CAN include TB, Displayport... even iSCSI. But it's not necessary. So the Macbook doesn't have TB, some PC's don't have DisplayPort, but they do have USB-C.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...erbolt-display

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

In fact, the MAJOR disadvantage of USB-C is that you never know beforehand if a certain device will work with a USB-C adapter. Most FW harddisks work, but some FW audio/video devices don't. And NO FW device that needs bus power works, except with an external PSU, if that is possible.

So, who's the ignoramus here?

This is all just stupid semantics again!.., as i have already said USB-C is the universal plug for all of the different peripherals.., whether your mac has thunderbolt in it or not is irrelevant to the fact that USB-C is the future universal connector for peripherals.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 AM   #30
cyrano

Believers will believe...
Old 07-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #31
Futur8me

and haters are going to hate.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #32
snooks
Banned

does that apply to non-Apple stuff too?

</dramatic semi-whitespace purged>

Last edited by snooks; 07-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #33
AugerJ

Quote:
Yeah, "change" is not acquiescing to lower quality.

I changed from Protools to Reaper when PT crashed and burned.
Hi, Serr. What version of PT are you talking about (the one that caused that change)?
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #34
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
Hi, Serr. What version of PT are you talking about (the one that caused that change)?
The v9 update for HD. The new big feature was finally native support for 3rd party firewire interfaces. They had been riding high on performance and stability and I trusted it would just work. Between that and computers getting powerful enough to outclass the PT HD hardware pci cards, I planned upgrades and forward motion around the update. (Had my eye on my now Mac Pro with pcie. My HD cards I was planning to let go were pci-x.) I had a separate live recording rig using firewire interfaces for a lot of inputs and this was to morph with the studio system. And it crashed and burned! They even pulled the v9 boxed editions physically off store shelves and everywhere online.

Systems using their proprietary interfaces were still fine. I think they got 3rd party interface support limping along eventually? Some would probably still say not really. In hindsight it looks like I nailed the worst case scenario.

I tried Reaper and discovered modern features running that I wouldn't have dreamed of at the time. Stability and even low latency operation suitable for a bionic live sound rig which blew my mind. PT HD suddenly seemed like this decade out of date mess. Had a good 15 year run that felt pretty flagship product-like but things change.

Actually I tried Reaper first as a replacement for the crashing and burning Digital Performer which is what I was using for a live recording only rig. They didn't do well with the transition from OS9 to OSX. Then I discovered Reaper's abilities. Then the PT fiasco happened (within a month or so of that I recall) and Reaper took over studio duties. Pretty night and day upgrade out of the ashes of disaster.

That's my Reaper story.

Something awesome will come along to fill the void left by Apple too.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #35
AugerJ

Thank you, Serr.
I didn't know about the troubles with 3rd party audio interfaces.
I read that PT10 and Mavericks were Ok, but I think guys who wrote that were still using their 192 io or other Digidesign devices.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #36
cyrano

PT is still limited to 32 I/O with 3rd party interfaces too, I believe. It still crops up every now and then on the RME forum.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #37
cyrano

Apple sent out the message that Mojave will run on all Macs that support High Sierra.

Until now, a few machines were excluded. Maybe that's a beta thing?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #38
esosotericmetal

The thread was about Mojave and not Apple's decisions to change/remove ports. That stuff has been discussed ad nauseum everywhere so not sure what bringing that up here adds to the discussion. You're better off directing those complaints at apple themselves.

I am curious about how Mojave runs. Information regarding graphics/GUI performance would be very really helpful since that seems to be where some major changes are. Also, i'm curious how Reaper looks with the whole 'dark mode' since Reapers uses a lot of native GUI stuff. Screenshots please!
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #39
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Apple sent out the message that Mojave will run on all Macs that support High Sierra.

Until now, a few machines were excluded. Maybe that's a beta thing?
I knew I remembered reading that somewhere!

Sure looks like they decided to intentionally try to lock out their pro models at the 11th hour then.

How's the downloading part this time around? (Not that the beta download procedure will stay the same once released of course.) 10.13 was... special. Manually download the packages and then spoof downloading the installer (redirect from where you downloaded the packages) to put together the signed installer that you can then write to a USB flash drive.

So the 'software update' method is back? And the download is back to simple happiness and light?

Looks like we're going to be reading bad reviews of that new Macbook (not very) Pro ad nauseum everywhere. Starting with the ones about how it thermal throttles before even getting up to idle speed of that i9 CPU. There was a reason there were never G5 laptops...
Old 07-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #40
cyrano

There's an "official" list somewhere, but can't find it. And chances are Apple could silently change that list whenever it pleases them. So, here's a MacRumors page about it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04...upported-macs/

This is the list of Mojave capable Macs, according to the MacRumors article:

iMac Pro (2017)
Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

Which is strange, cause I've seen it running on that one unibody plastic Macbook (the one with just USB-C) and I think that's from 2011?