Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
connorhawke
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper registers a change after rendering

Hi, this behavior also occurs for Logic Pro and I was advised to just ignore it but am wondering if it's the same for Reaper... After rendering to a file, the project appears to have registered a change because the red close button accumulates a black circle in the center (which means changes detected) and when I try to close the project it asks if I want to save it. However, in the undo history there is no log of said change. I assume I can safely close the project without saving if it was saved immediately prior to rendering?
connorhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
cyoder

I've noticed that, but I haven't done much investigation (usually I just save). I believe it might have to do with changes made to the render settings, which are saved whenever you go through with the render. If you don't save the project, the render settings next time you open the project would likely either be default (if you haven't rendered anything from the project before), or the settings of the render you did BEFORE the last render.

Best,
cyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
I believe it might have to do with changes made to the render settings
It should be ^this since render settings are saved with the project. It's actually handy because I may want to perform a quick render with different settings, without permanently changing the render settings for that project, if I don't click save after the render, those temporary render settings aren't saved - or vice versa if I want the settings retained.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
SonicAxiom

I'd say this behaviour is a good candidate for "Dstruct's Casa de Nitpicks". If you save a project prior to rendering it, Reaper will still prompt to save it after the render even if no changes have been made in the render dialog. The rendering process itself seems to be considered a change by Reaper. This is annoying and confusing behaviour when in fact no actual change has been made. I don't consider it a bug but a serious design flaw. (I'm on Windows btw.)

Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I'd say this behaviour is a good candidate for "Dstruct's Casa de Nitpicks". If you save a project prior to rendering it, Reaper will still prompt to save it after the render even if no changes have been made in the render dialog. The rendering process itself seems to be considered a change by Reaper. This is annoying and confusing behaviour when in fact no actual change has been made. I don't consider it a bug but a serious design flaw. (I'm on Windows btw.)

I fully agree.
And there are other similar cases where Reaper sets the dirty flag for things that really doesn't make the project dirty. Just click and close the FX button for any track, for instance.