Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
Poj
Human being with feelings

Default Problems using plugins in OSX

Hi there,

I have been using Reaper for some time and customized it to my own needs. The start was troublesome and I have ditched it more than once. But always going back after a short period in other DAW’s (Logic, Studio One) when I realized I missed so much (most of them being stability and performance).

Now that I have decided Reaper is the only way to go forward for me I would like to solve some of the small issue’s I’m facing. I’m on OSX (10.12.6) with the latest Reaper release.

• Scaling AU & VST plugins. When I try to scale an AU or VST plugin via the righthand corner, the plugin window from Reaper scales and not the plugin itself. It just creates a bigger window. When the mouse button is released and the Reaper plugin window is bigger I can scale the plugin itself nicely via the righthand corner. So the scaling of plugin windows causes two steps for AU and VST, instead of just one drag as normally expected. When a VST3 is loaded the scaling works as expected, just one drag is needed.

• The FX shortcuts introduced in 5.77 only works with VST & VST3 plugins. When used with an AU plugin the shortcut doesn’t do anything.

A solution could be to use as much as possible VST3 plugins but this causes others issues with my workflow. I use a lot the actions “SWS/S&M: Float next FX (and close others) for selected tracks” & “SWS/S&M: Float previous FX (and close others) for selected tracks”. These only seem to work well if I use AU plugins on a track. As soon as a VST or VST3 is inserted it stops cycling on that plugin. Probably related to that is the focusing of VST & VST3 plugins, I experience a different behavior compared to AU plugins. If for example an AU plugin is opened, I can close this with the escape button or CMD+W, for an VST or VST3 these commands doesn’t work and I just get an error / alert sound from OSX

Hope this all makes a bit sense and these issues can be overcome.

Thank you!
Poj is offline   Reply With Quote