Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Henry H Harris
Human being with feelings

Default Need help with no sound in playback

***7/20/18 Added 3 screenshots (included two options tried-my Scarlett and an aggregate I created)- no sound from either

Just installed Reaper64 to do some voiceover (audio book) and everything seems to be working EXCEPT I get no sound in playback mode.

It appears to be recording and I can hear myself through my headphones when plugged into my audio interface (Scarlett Solo), but when I try to play back on my mac I get no sound regardless of what speakers/headphones I use.

I triple-checked settings in reaper and mac to confirm they were the same.

Initially I made my Scarlett Solo the device in reaper preferences. When that did not work I made an aggregate per the instructions in the manual, but I still cannot hear anything after it goes into reaper.

I have read the manual and every post I could find about "no sound" (here and on the net) but found no solution. Hoping to use reaper but I need to solve this hiccup.

Someone suggested my problem might be my mac's CoreAudio, but reaper is the only app that is having audio problems, so I am hoping there is a simple solution I have overlooked.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Henry

Macbook Pro 15" Retina (early 2013) w/ OS 10.13.5

Reaper 64 bit, v.5.92

Audio Technica 2035 mic

Scarlett Solo (1st gen).

Voiceover (recording audio books) only (mono, no music/sound effects)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 7.09.06 AM.png (61.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 7.12.52 AM.png (61.4 KB, 265 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 7.08.05 AM.png (57.0 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by Henry H Harris; 07-20-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: add screenshots
Henry H Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
Henry H Harris

Default no ideas from anyone about how to fix this?

do my screenshots show a problem?
hoping to get up and running.
any help appreciated.
Henry H Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
serr

First the setup with using just the Scarlett as a single audio device (which is what you have pictured for the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page).

You have control of sample rate and block size disabled in Reaper. (By unticking those boxes next to the controls.) First choice is normally to control these parameters from Reaper (ie your host DAW). Disabling this and controlling from a 3rd party app should usually only be done if the connected interface demands it (ie refuses to talk to Reaper).

Did you try this from Reaper first?

You're not currently selecting the aggregate device from Reaper (per the screen shots). But looking at the clocking setup...
Aggregating a hardware interface with the computer's built-in can have issues. There's no word clock connection for the computer's built-in interface. That means you need the clock connection over the data connection (firewire/USB). Ticking resampling for both devices in the aggregate is not going to work no matter what. I would try clocking from the built-in interface (since it has no hardware clock input and thus that is flat out not an option) and make the Scarlett chase that (tick the resample box).

I wouldn't necessarily want to record anything critical with the Scarlett inputs while it chases the built-in interfaces clock over the firewire connection. Use that for the convenience when both devices are required only.

These would be my first choice settings:

Using the Scarlett by itself:
Tick the boxes next to sample rate and block size in Reaper and enter the intended values. (You can open Audio MIDI Setup and verify that the Scarlett is getting the message.)

Using the Scarlett + the computer built-in audio interface:
Make the built-in audio clock master in Audio MIDI Setup.
Tick the resample box next to the Scarlett.
Select the aggregate device in Reaper device menu.
Again, tick the boxes to enable control of sample rate and block size with Reaper.

Did you try those already?

Is it correct that you are doing any monitoring of live inputs with the built-in cuemix mixer in the Scarlett? You're not actually trying to run low latency live sound with Reaper? If so, try a block size of 512 or 1024 samples (a large value to save processing power for the mix).

More on making an aggregate device with built-in interfaces + external interfaces:
This can be dicey because we're sending clock sync over a computer data connection which isn't exactly recommended. I blathered on about some observations doing this in this thread recently: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=208737
serr is offline   Reply With Quote