Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default the following midi inputs could not be opened...

I get this error every time that my window focus is not reaper (like checking my email). if I'm in another window for 5 minutes or more, when I switch back to reaper none of my midi inputs can be opened.

anyone else run into this? is it a bug? is there a fix? it's kind of embarrassing when I have clients and have to restart the daw any time I in another window for a few minutes.

*edit*
bug submitted: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3174
say you're able to reproduce it, if you can reproduce it - then the devs fix it - I hope.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 01-10-2011 at 05:15 AM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
MacFizz

yep, same here and there's another thread about it:
thread

I didn't find a bug report about it but maybe it's time to create one.
I didn't have time yet to test and repoduce the problem properly.
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 AM   #3
catfish

Yeah - I get this problem. Its infuriating when working in an external audio editor.

I'll report it in the pre-release bug thread when I have a moment.
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
pixeltarian

come on guys, go to the bug report and say you're able to reproduce it! it won't get fixed otherwise
Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
axel_ef

yes, same problem here, I must restart Reaper to get my midi keyboard back...
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
pixeltarian

my theory is that it happens for everyone. just open reaper, go do something in another app for a while then go back to reaper.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
MJFarmermac

Default Same here, but worse

Hey. I'm having the same issue, but I don't even have to navigate away from Reaper to do it. I just load up a second VSTi and all my MIDI goes dead. Restarting Reaper just gets me the message that all my MIDI inputs (and outs) could not be opened, so I have to reboot my whole computer to get them back. What is going on? I have a pretty old MIDI interface- Opcode Studio 128x connected to serial port on my machine, but it's always been rock solid with Cubase- I'm trying desperately to switch to Reaper, but these kinds of problems seem to happen all the time with Reaper as I'm evaluating it. My dilemma; Reaper audio, plugins, etc.- just seems to work, Cubase= buggy. Reaper MIDI= buggy, Cubase MIDI just seems to work.
MJFarmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Does it bring the MIDI ports back to life if you run the action "reset all MIDI devices"?

In cases where the MIDI outputs become disabled, are those outputs enabled for both output and control messages, in prefs/audio/MIDI devices?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Does it bring the MIDI ports back to life if you run the action "reset all MIDI devices"?

In cases where the MIDI outputs become disabled, are those outputs enabled for both output and control messages, in prefs/audio/MIDI devices?

for me:
reset midi does not work. only restarting reaper.
output is NOT enabled for control messages.

screenie:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
bluefonia

Quote:
in short, no

Quote:
for me:
reset midi does not work. only restarting reaper.
output is NOT enabled for control messages.
the same here....
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
handfp

Same for me - all the way to Reaper4alpha38.

Mac OSX 10.6.6 with M-Audio Fastrack Pro but I had same problem with previous Yamaha UX96 midi interface.

Running "reset all MIDI devices" does not bring the midi device back to life. In my case I do have the FastTrack Pro set to Midi+Control

Last edited by handfp; 02-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
handfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
pixeltarian

schwa,

any other ideas? is there any more input you need to diagnose/repo this bug?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
pixeltarian

I'm at work right now so I can't try this solution, but maybe one of you other guys can give it a shot and report back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos
Happened to me too some time ago (3.x & 4alpha). [edit]Win XP 32[/edit]. You have re-define your MIDI setup each time you start REAPER.

I fixed it this way:
- Quit REAPER
- Delete "reaper-midihw.ini"
- Start REAPER and (re-)define your MIDI setup (i.e. enabled IOs, controls IOs, aliases) once for all
- Quit REPAER (a new file will be created, this one will be ok)

Remark: i think it's due to a conflict between 3.x and v4alpha. I reported several issues like that in the v4alpha bug thread. It definitly occurs in 3.x if you didn't do a v4 *portable* install or if you remove your v4 portable reaper.ini file (=> v3.x get corrupted)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
bluefonia

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos
Happened to me too some time ago (3.x & 4alpha). [edit]Win XP 32[/edit]. You have re-define your MIDI setup each time you start REAPER.

I fixed it this way:
- Quit REAPER
- Delete "reaper-midihw.ini"
- Start REAPER and (re-)define your MIDI setup (i.e. enabled IOs, controls IOs, aliases) once for all
- Quit REPAER (a new file will be created, this one will be ok)

Remark: i think it's due to a conflict between 3.x and v4alpha. I reported several issues like that in the v4alpha bug thread. It definitly occurs in 3.x if you didn't do a v4 *portable* install or if you remove your v4 portable reaper.ini file (=> v3.x get corrupted)
I - and several others with me - have had this issue since vers. 3.x which means long before vers 4 Alpha was released. So a conflict between 3 and 4 can`t be the problem in this case.
(Just for the record, - I`ve a portable install of vers. 4...)
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

I assume all of these issues are in OS X, right?

It looks like we might have a fix for it coming in alpha39 -- if it does indeed fix we will put it into 3.76 as well.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
peter5992

Not sure if it is related, and I am on a PC, but I have had similar error messages in relation to my midi keyboard (Akai MPK 25).

In fact, it still doesn't work, even with a workaround (midiox and loopbe30). I've posted elsewhere about this, and give it a bump every couple of days to see if anyone has any new bright ideas.

Some folks are apparently able to get their Akai MPK keyboard working though, so this is a peculiar one.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
bluefonia

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
It looks like we might have a fix for it coming in alpha39 -- if it does indeed fix we will put it into 3.76 as well.
Thanks a lot, Justin- that would be really nice
Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
handfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

I'm delighted to report that since alpha39 this problem has not reoccurred for me. Thanks a bunch! This has been a real pain previously.
handfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
bluefonia

Just made a quick test and so far alpha 39 seems to have solved the problem for me too. So, - fingers crossed - hope this counts for anyone who had the issue Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
MJFarmermac

Default Reset MIDI devices...?

If "Reset MIDI devices" action does work, what's going on? I'm trying to figure out now if there's a specific action that makes the MIDI go away, but it's like I'll practice the stuff I'm going to play a few times, fiddle about a bit, and then MIDI's gone. Have to reset devices to get it back. what does this mean?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
MJFarmermac

Default Can't find a specific action that triggers it...

I've been trying to duplicate an action that makes my MIDI go away, but sometimes it just happens if I step away for a minute- come back, MIDI's gone. This started as a MIDI inputs could not be opened problem, but now I don't have to restart Reaper or my computer- I can just reset MIDI devices to get it back.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #22
MJFarmermac

Occasionally still get some of my MIDI ports not able to be opened. However, EVERY time I use Reaper, my MIDI just disappears with no rhyme or reason. I was just in my MIDI editor, hit my keyboard and... nothing. It happens so often that I've mapped "reset MIDI devices" to my backspace key. How4ever, sometimes this causes a freeze. This is a serious problem for me- Reaper is superior in every way to Cubase Except that the MIDI is barely functional for me. I don't know if this is part of the same issue others are having or not. BTW, I'm not OSX- running XP 32bit.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #23
MJFarmermac

don't know if this helps this discussion, but I'm on a computer that one of my colleagues upgraded from- I didn't wipe the HD when he gave it to me. It seems like there was some kind of virtual MIDI cable- VSL MIDI router to be exact installed on this machine. (Probably pirated to be perfectly honest) Anyway, it looks like this is part of the Vienna Symphonic Library. I don't know if anyone's successfully using this library with Reaper, or if this is buggy because it's some kind of pirated thing, but since I uninstalled it, my MIDI is fully functional (Yayyy!) and no longer freaking out. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #24
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Just posting this because it's a nice example: "MIDI input dropping out in the middle of x", "MIDI input dropping out when changing window focus and the OP "the following MIDI inputs could not..." can be separate and probably unrelated problems. So any "I have the same problem" post without any further description is often not really helpful or confirming.

For example. at least the first one sometimes turns out to be a pretty disguised USB power issue of some Macs and PCs in context with some interfaces, which is confusingly also depending on which app is using the interface, plus some Macs (and other PCs) can have some USB ports that are not apt for anything else than typing keyboards and rodents in first place. Running audio/MIDI interfaces on them could create problems as well.

So unfortunately things are never as easy as "I have problem X and and Y says he has the same problem, you should now be able to fix it", because "it" could be in fact something completely different and piggybacking bug reports because they sound similar to the own issue is usually not recommendable.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #25
MJFarmermac

Sorry. Don't mean to clutter up bug reports. At first I was having same issues as reported above but it now seems clear I'm having a diff issue.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #26
bluefonia

Default Lost midi connection on OSX solved

Quote:

bluefonia wrote:
Quote:
Just made a quick test and so far alpha 39 seems to have solved the problem for me too. So, - fingers crossed - hope this counts for anyone who had the issue Thanks
After almost two weeks of daily use/testing Reaper 4 alpha 39 > 42 I still have not got any of the earlier problems with lost midi connection to my Axiom-keyboard. So, Justin, it seems like you solved the problem on OSX
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
pixeltarian

the v4 alpha has fixed the problem. v3 still has it. i would love for cocos to fix it in v3 because the v4 alpha is giving me horribly stuttered playback and V3 works just great.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
pixeltarian

pretty please?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #29
pixeltarian

with sugar on top?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #30
dazzathedrummer

Yep, I get this, its very annoying - I know i'm gonna lose something one time i have to close/re-open reaper.

OSX & 3.75

Would love a fix for this.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
CQ7String

I have this issue as well. OSX 10.6, regardless of MIDI device.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #32
pixeltarian

i thought the devs said if it fixed v4 they would put the fix in v3. what gives?!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #33
buckman

Yes i get this too, annoying on OS X when using ext editor
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #34
pixeltarian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handfp View Post
I'm delighted to report that since alpha39 this problem has not reoccurred for me. Thanks a bunch! This has been a real pain previously.

emailed support about this. It has indeed been fixed in v4, but not v3 yet. it's been over 3 months since it was fixed in v4. I can't use v4 on my mac because of relentless crashing, can you awesome wonderful cockos boys put this fix in v3 for us? a million billion thank yous in advance!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #35
PitchSlap

I posted this in the 4.0 beta bugs thread, but its more appropriate here:
-------
This isn't technically a 'bug' but more of a long-standing gripe.

Often if Reaper has previously crashed and the process is still lingering around, or if multiple instances are open (because it takes forever to start, sometimes I have 2-3 versions open by the time it decides to open), I get this error constantly:

Showing it once wouldn't bother me, but it reappears after pretty much every action I do in the program. Also if I press record and want to record using a different input than the one giving the error, Reaper won't record until the msgbox has been acknowledged.

Preventing recording from occurring because of a redundant msgbox seems like poor prioritization of tasks...

A checkbox to suppress this error, showing it only once, or finding a less intrusive way to give notice of this error rather than a MsgBox would be a welcomed change. That way at least I can continue working without constant annoyance while I wait for the lingering Reaper process to die (which can often take 5+ minutes).

Thanks for the consideration!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #36
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
A checkbox to suppress this error, showing it only once, or finding a less intrusive way to give notice of this error rather than a MsgBox would be a welcomed change
or maybe a hidden button that flashes red when they're erors. like a blinking exclamation point you can click to open an 'error console' of sorts.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #37
Justin
Administrator

The OSX MIDI hardware fix that is in 4.0alpha39 is also in 3.76. If it doesn't work in 3.76, this is strange, and we'll have to do more testing to figure out why...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #38
atomikboy

Default Dean

Today I got some new kits for my stand alone Battery 3,chose my on board audiocard (Maudio2496) as my weapon of choice,after having a little fun fired up Reaper.....bang,got this problem now,stuck with it.Everything seems to function ok,I got my Roland TD4 drum kit hooked up,with addictive drums,still works fine,but this message keeps popping up?
atomikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #39
serr

This started with v4.

I wonder if it's related to the spaces bug where audio output will cut off when switching to a different space. (The workaround is to be recording!) So far the same workaround prevents the midi crash. I record all the time with Reaper so I'm serendipitously unaffected by these crashes. (Still doing post production in ProtoolsHD)

I suspect the midi crash bug was there in v3. I had the behavior pop up a couple times but there was no error message in v3.

Basically I've gotten in the habit of hitting record before switching to other spaces and working with other apps.

I've just started evaluating v4... It's clearly not ready to take out in front of people yet. My live mix system is definitely staying with v3 for now!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #40
balthasar_boy

Hello everyone!
I've got similar issue.
The problem started, when I tried to hook up my Ipad to Reaper.
After setting up rtpMidi, Reaper let me send midi notes and CC messages from Ipad, but when I tried to set it up for Reaper->Ipad midi messages it showed me
"Following MIDI outputs could not be opened: *rtpMidi session name*".

Today I tried to use MIDIox for sending MIDI out. and now REAPER couldn't open nor MIDI output for Ipad nor MIDI input.

Do you friends have any clue about how to fix that?

REAPER v.4.22 64bit on win7.

Last edited by balthasar_boy; 07-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
balthasar_boy is offline   Reply With Quote