Old 02-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Farmskis
Human being with feelings

Default Way to hot! But why?

I know that my mic signal is coming in way hot. My setup: condenser mic runs into Yamaha mg82cx. I then pull the dry signal with a special insert Jack in the insert out. I send this signal to Reaper through a Beringer 222 sound card. Except it is always spiked out. It does not matter where I set my gain it always is too hot. I Use the board to give a reverb in the headphone mix. I have been able to record at good levels set up like this in the past but for some reason I can not get it now. Wondering if I changed a setting in reaper somehow without noticing??? Did both of my pre amps on my Yamaha board break? (I have tried both with same results) Please help if you can help me troubleshoot this!
Farmskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Do you mean no matter where the gain on the 222 input is, or no matter where the gain on the Yamaha channel is?

If you listen to the headphone output of the Yamaha you can tell if the mixer is behaving. Both mic channels giving the same result says it's not a preamp problem. Any chance the gain knob on the Yamaha channel is turned up? Or the 222 input is maxed and you're turning down the wrong knob? (we've all been there : ) )
Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
foxAsteria

More likely the settings on your soundcard changed. On mine for instance, there is a switch in the options for input and output levels between +4dB and -10dB, to accommodate different input/output levels for different gear. Sounds like your card expects an instrument level signal and it's getting a line level signal instead.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
DVDdoug

That's what I'm guessing... It's the difference between the pro line level on the mixer and the consumer line level on the Behringer.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Farmskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
That's what I'm guessing... It's the difference between the pro line level on the mixer and the consumer line level on the Behringer.
How would I correct this? New gear?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmskis View Post
How would I correct this? New gear?
I don't think it's a level mismatch of the gear if you were able to do it before and can't now. If that's the case something has changed. Try what we used to call in the stone age "normalizing the board", which was resetting it so the next person had a clean slate. Turn all the gain related knobs on the Yamaha down, especially the channel input gain knob and fader. Turn all the Behringer inputs down and unplug everything and restart the computer. Plug the mic into Ch 1 and see what happens when you bring the 222 input up.

The Yamaha is a mix of +4 and -10 levels (the main L & R outputs and monitor outputs are +4, as are the fx sends), but it shouldn't affect this differently than before and there aren't any buttons that would switch anything from one to the other. The inserts say they're nominal 0, which puts it right between and makes the insert theoretically able to reach either with a simple level adjustment.

Can you verify that what the Behringer is getting is directly from that insert and not from another output of the Yamaha?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
Farmskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post

Can you verify that what the Behringer is getting is directly from that insert and not from another output of the Yamaha?
The only input I have going to the Behringer is the one from the insert so that should be the only thing coming in.