Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
DistinctIsMe
Human being with feelings

Default Why doesn't Reaper use plugin ID's?

I recently updated all of my Universal Audio plugins and noticed they made a new version of the SSL E Channel Strip. Whenever they make a new version of a plugin, they retitle the file name of the original plugin to ________ Legacy.dll, so this particular plugin became UAD SSL E Channel Strip Legacy.dll. The new version of the plugin takes the original name (UAD SSL E Channel Strip.dll). This means when I open old sessions where I used this plugin, it pulls up a fresh instance of the new version of the plugin and doesn't recall my saved settings.

To solve this issue, I renamed the legacy file back to its original name and gave the new version a different name. Now the old plugin loads with all of my previous settings. I contacted UAD about this issue to find out if there's a better way to go about it, and they said this is my only option because Reaper is not on their list of approved DAWs since Reaper doesn't use plugin ID's.

Besides the fact that it's a hassle to stay aware of when plugins become legacy versions and rename the files whenever this happens, they informed me that any manually renamed files will no longer receive updates unless I change them back to their proper names.

I've never had this problem with any other plugins or companies, so I do think it's dumb that UAD does it this way, but at the same time I don't understand why Reaper doesn't use plugin ID's. Aren't they there for that reason? Assuming there's no good reason not to use the ID's, is it possible to implement this in the future?
DistinctIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
DistinctIsMe

Bump because this is still an issue for me, and on another UAD update, I've completely lost all of my settings whenever SSL E Channel Strip was used in past mixing sessions. I can't begin to express how pissed I am right now.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Dstruct

I think one of the devs once said that some plugins might use the same ID and this would cause problems ...

Just can't find the thread.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
DistinctIsMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
I think one of the devs once said that some plugins might use the same ID and this would cause problems ...

Just can't find the thread.
I appreciate the response. I'm guessing you can't answer this, but just in case a dev stops by, I have to ask why ProTools and other DAWs are able to do it that way with no issues. From what UAD told me, the fact that Reaper doesn't use plugin ID's is what keeps Reaper off of their approved DAW list.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Dstruct

I found the thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
unfortunately the vst-id's are reused WAY too much so we can't rely on them...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
DistinctIsMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Thanks for digging that up for me!