Old 01-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Karma_Train
Human being with feelings

Default Midi guitar controllers and stuck notes.

Hi, firstly let me just say I'm extremely old and what I know about midi you could write on an eighth of a postage stamp so please be gentle.
I write songs and play guitar, no keyboard skills whatsoever.
So, in the quest to add different sounds to my music I got interested in guitar type midi controllers.
I currently have a Fishman TriplePlay Connect fitted to my Musicman electric and today I bought a Yamaha EZ-AG to use as a secondary controller.
Getting both setups to trigger various VSTis was no problem but with both systems I'm getting multiple random 'stuck notes' particularly with string/pad type patches.
With my severely limited knowledge I'm presuming that this is because there is no 'note off' messages being sent.
Is this correct and does anybody know what I need to do in order to get this to stop happening as recording under these conditions is completely impossible?
Many thanks.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Karma_Train

Just a bit more info, this is definitely a guitar type controller issue only as using my Nektar keyboard, all the VSTis act predictably, press a key VSTi plays, release the key and the sound decays.
As it happens with both the Yamaha EZ-AG and the Fishman it's something unique to guitar style controllers as mentioned.
Not sure if anyone reading plays the guitar but if you do, imagine playing an Em chord, that's the 4th and 5th string fretted, then move to a Dm chord that's the top three strings fretted, the top three strings change pitch but the bottom three strings carry on indefinitely playing the remains of the Em....total nightmare.
Most importantly this doesn't happen with piano type sounds or staccato strings, only on pad/string ensemble/choir sounds which have a naturally long decay, those sounds will play ad infinitum.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Arran

I have a modified yourockguitar midi guitar, which is similar to your Yamaha.
Open chord changes aren't really practical as you've discovered. With midi guitar you have to adapt your playing, to the midi guitar and to the instrument you're triggering. For Em to Dm I would either play higher up the fretboard and transpose or not play the low E and A strings.
I'm surprised that the fishman lets the low strings ring out, are you definitely muting them when you change chords?
With all midi guitar recording I think you have to expect to do a little bit of cleaning up in the midi editor.
This might be useful for the fishman, I haven't used it personally, but it dumps open strings below a specified threshold:
http://adam.fulara.com/software#MidiDumper
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote