Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default OSC Selected Track - 2 little bits

This is all little stuff that I could use in my everyday work, as could anyone else who uses OSC touch screen apps like TouchOSC, Lemur, etc.

Send Mutes of selected tracks
I use OSC for controlling send levels and mutes.
See this post for the Lemur project and a screenshot.

So far I have to use actions to toggle the send mute, and thus have no indication on the tablet display for the status of send mutes.

Making it possible to do this in the OSC config would enable more useful feedback for a selected track. This post is the original request in the OSC forum.

OSC Selected Track send level controls all selected tracks
At first I thought this not being there was a bug. After all, you could midi-learn a midi CC resource to control "send volume 1" for example across all selected tracks.

Its OSC counterpart does not work this way. It would be consistent if it did.

This thread in the bug report forum illustrates the details.

There. That's two little helping hands to improve mixing workflows when using OSC.

Immediate improvements for all OSC users. I'll be sure to spread that around when it happens .

Last edited by airon; 02-24-2018 at 05:47 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
airon

A simple reason for why this request is a good one.

Minimizing management tasks is one way to save time, and these two OSC requests would save me a lot of time.

Feedback on the mixer cannot be very large without sacrificing functionality. If you use too big a font for your MCP send/insert/parameter knob section, it limits how many Reaper will draw for you.

This MCP view is also one of the few locations where it's practical to view feedback of multiple plugin parameters.

To maximize how many parameter knobs I could see, I copied and modified an MCP layout to have one complete column of mixer track space dedicated to this send/insert/parameter knob view. (Screenshot)

Add to that, the send view is rather small, which is fine for many folks, but it's not enough for my work. The I/O window isn't all that helpful either. Just its layout is visually ok for reference, but not for fast visual scanning.

I require speedy access to send mutes and levels without a mouse. For that reason I dedicate an entire page of my Lemur layout on an iPad to send control of selected tracks.

But the part of the layout page (Screenshot) that controls the volume of sends, won't work on selected tracks, but only on the last touched track.

The send mutes in this Lemur layout are in fact bound to Reaper actions. They don't use the OSC config at all. And because of this, the Lemur layout cannot present any information on whether the send is muted or not. But at least I can control send mutes on selected tracks.

So what do you give up ? Feedback , or functionality ?

This request about getting both.

Last edited by airon; 05-02-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
airon

I'd still find this really useful, because I use send mutes to control my reverb, effect and bus sends. Visual feedback on a touch control surface is very useful.

Controlling all selected tracks, yeah that'd be nice too. Maybe it's a different command than the one I'm using right now, which only applies to the last touched track. It would make a lot of things quicker.