Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Ianuarius
Human being with feelings

Default Lexicon Audio Interface problem

I bought this cheap Lexicon Alpha audio interface (with 75 EUR) and I haven't quite been able to get it work yet. It plays everything ok (I've got my speakers plugged in its headphones output) but trying to record anything with Reaper is a pain in the ass.

First of all I can't use its native ASIO drivers since Reaper just keeps bugging me about some buffers whenever I go back and forth with some other window:

"There was an error while opening your audio hardware:

Error initializing buffers.

Would you like to view your audio device configuration?"

Also, I can't get any input or output. So I'm using ASIO4ALL because I have to. Now I was trying to record something with my midi keyboard but when I turn monitoring the output on Reaper plays it thru my laptop speakers instead of my "real" speakers.

I can't figure this shit out. Why does Reaper keep bugging me about those buffers? I read somewhere that I can't use the Lexicon Alpha ASIO drivers if some other program is open and using them already... but that's a bunch of bullshit. I bought the damn thing to make my life easier and up til now it's only made it more difficult.

What am I doing wrong?

I've got Windows 7 (64 bit) and ASIO4ALL 2.10 and Reaper 3.75 (64 bit).

I did download the drivers from Lexicon site.

In Windows Sound settings USB Sound Device is the default playback device. The Realtek HD Audio Speakers aren't plugged in.

In recording devices Lexicon Alpha In/Out is default device.

EDIT: I just posted this somewhere. If any mod thinks this is in the wrong section, please relocate it.

Last edited by Ianuarius; 08-24-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Ianuarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
KevinW

I use the similar Lexicon Omega and have no problems using ASI4ALL (but on WinXP).
The Lexicon drivers worked also, but I seemed to get more crashes. What I do remember about installing the drivers is that it really seemed finicky about following the installation instructions to the letter.

In your Reaper preferences/audio/device, have you "enabled inputs:" and set the "Output range:"?

Then, in the ASIO configuration, there should be an entry for "Lexicon direct device" or something like that. Make sure is activated. You will likely have other options in that confinguration, such as "Realtek HD Audio" or something. In my setup, all those other options are turned off.

Last, in case you haven't yet, try a re-boot.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Ianuarius

I've had the interface for a few weeks now, so yes, I've rebooted 10+ times.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/qoxel4.jpg

With this setup I can't get anything out except those error messages.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/25j8e8l.jpg

And with this everything playing goes just static noise.

EDIT: Oh, that "USB-äänilaite" means "USB Sound Device". I'm using a Finnish operating system so don't be confused by that.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
KevinW

Hmm. I don't think the ASIO4ALL driver is fully recognizing the Alpha. On my system, I have similar entries as you (Lexicon USB device), but I also have the Lexicon Direct device. If I choose the USB entry, it doesn't work. Maybe try reinstalling the ASIO4All driver? Obviously, that little red "X" in the output entry is not good!
Is there anything special you need to do with the 64bit version of ASIO4ALL?
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
Ianuarius

Hmm, reinstall seemed to do something. I don't get that red cross anymore, but now I get this annoying sin noise when I record thru AmpliTube:

http://maihinnousu.net/s/13537

I tried a differend cord and both the Instrument plug and the Line 1 plug. Nothing did the trick.

EDIT: I tried recording from the Mic imput of my laptop but now the ASIO4ALL shows that red cross again. Seriously... what's going on? It says Lexicon Alpha In/Out; Status: Unavailable; In use by another application?; MS GS Wavetable Synth enabled?

I didn't get that stingy noise anymore but the sound came out of the laptop speakers instead of my "real" speakers again.

Last edited by Ianuarius; 08-24-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Fabian

I have used the Lexicon Lambda for several years. One thing to note is that ASIO4ALL gives me better (equal to lower) latency than does the native driver, so I assume ASIO4ALL is a good choice for you as well.

So.. with the lexicon native drivers out of the way, one problems could be that you have MS GS Wavetable Synth enabled. Go into Reaper Preferences > MIDI Devices, right click MS GS Wavetable and disabled it.

Now... with MSGSWT out of the way, reboot and check if things work. If ASIO4ALL still claims your device is unavailable, go into Control Panel > Sound, right-click the device, select Properties > Advanced and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control". Reboot, and hopefully it will now work.