Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
JDilla2380
Human being with feelings

Default Please give us a bigger MIDI edit window and smoother midi workflow.

I really want to make this my main software choice. It's reasonably priced and on paper has all the features I need.
I like to support shareware programs and would register this thing if it would just do what I want it to.
Theres only one problem. Actually several. All of them are MIDI problems pretty much.

The MIDI edit window is way too small. Just make it bigger. Show a larger range of the keyboard. That's really all that's wrong with it. Just look at a basic cubase le editor. Copy it.
That's really all anyone needs in a key editor.

Also, what's with the midi on all channels. I try and load Kontakt 2 on different channels with different samples on each channel. Can't get more than one(usually the first one) to play at once. Or else it plays on every darn channel.
Pain in the ass, I gotta say.

And the fact you can't hear anything played on a midi track in the tracks precount during record is another pain. I just want to be able to hear what I'm playing before the recording actually starts.
It helps me get a feel for what I'm playing before hand.

Audio and routing in this program is awesome. That's why I like it. But basic MIDI is essential in a sequencer.
Just fix these bugs and add better midi features and this program would be a monster.
I'd tell all the more hyped sequencers to go to hell. Kind of like I did with DJ software. Who needs Traktor?
DJ Decks was just as good for vinyl control.

I like to root for the little guy. Please make the minor changes necessary to make this program the classic it should be.
JDilla2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDilla2380 View Post

The MIDI edit window is way too small. Just make it bigger. Show a larger range of the keyboard. That's really all that's wrong with it. Just look at a basic cubase le editor. Copy it.
That's really all anyone needs in a key editor.
Just resize the editor, you can make it as big as the screen. Maybe you have it docked?
Quote:
Also, what's with the midi on all channels. I try and load Kontakt 2 on different channels with different samples on each channel. Can't get more than one(usually the first one) to play at once. Or else it plays on every darn channel.
Pain in the ass, I gotta say.
You just need to learn Reaper's routing scheme properly. Here's a tutorial on setting up vsti's multi-channel.:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...i-Out_Vsti%27s
Quote:
And the fact you can't hear anything played on a midi track in the tracks precount during record is another pain. I just want to be able to hear what I'm playing before the recording actually starts.
It helps me get a feel for what I'm playing before hand.
Edit: do you have monitoring on? You should always be able to hear what you are playing, I can when I record V Drums through EZ Drummer.

There's 2 ways to get as much pre-roll as you like:

Options-record mode:loop selection auto punch

Options-record mode:auto punch selected items

(you can insert an empty item for the second method, or just define a looped area for the first).

Check out the user manual or the wiki for lots of tips and info. Hope this helps. I added some track templates I found somewhere...just right-click-insert track template.

(Put them in Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Reaper/Track Templates)

http://reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide1.86x.pdf

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php..._Documentation
Attached Files
File Type: rtracktemplate vst Kontakt.RTrackTemplate (25.6 KB, 241 views)
File Type: rtracktemplate Kontakt.RTrackTemplate (12.2 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by Bevosss; 06-05-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
BALKIS

Leave the MIDI window how it is! Nothing is wrong with it small just get the darn thing to open better. It's not opening over here.
BALKIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
JDilla2380

Thanks Bevoss.

I'll check it out see how it goes. Really hope it works. Getting tired of using Cubase. It works, but I'd rather support the new kid on the block.
JDilla2380 is offline   Reply With Quote