COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
3mph
Human being with feelings

Default Cracks/pops at the start of an interval

Hi.

A friend of mine gave me a new computer, so instead of running on a 1Ghz/512MB RAM machine I now have a 3GHz/1GB RAM computer! I can do a lot more on NINJAM with the ekstra speed, like using VSTi while rewiring to Reason and singing through a bunch of effects.

Everything works fine with Reaper and NINAJM on my new computer, except that every time an interval starts there's a loud crackling/popping sound and sometimes a tiny delay which really kills the flow while playing. The whole setup is still in sync with the rest of the jammers, and I've been told that it can't be heard by other players. I didn't have that problem at my old computer, so with more speed and RAM I'm surpriced that this issue occurs. The soundcard is setup the same way it was in the old computer (it's a Pwoersampler from creamware).

What can be the cause of such a problem?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
the all new rob

I had similar problems when I set my latency too low in my ASIO drivers. See if adding latency cures it for you.
the all new rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mph View Post
except that every time an interval starts there's a loud crackling/popping sound
what is an "interval"?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
the all new rob

It's a defined number of beats that forms the basic unit of time synchronization in ninjam. You can hear it because the metronome makes a different sounding click on beat 1 of the interval.

Most audio problems I had in ninjam happen right at the top of an interval. Also, most of them went away once I got my ASIO setup tuned.
the all new rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
pljones

Yeah, make sure your ASIO drivers are the latest ones, especially if you've just re-installed - you may have gone backwards.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
petiane

Default SDRAM story

I ve got a similar trouble on an old PC, peace at his mind, with nomame SDRAM. It maked some crack sound as it wanted.
I decided to change the SDRAM by others valued.
That was the end (my friend) of the trouble.
petiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
3mph

Just an update:

I've tried with different RAM-configs but with no difference. Tonght I discovered, that the crackling sound will only occur if theres no sound transmitted between the last beat and the first of an interval.

Let's say that the bpi is 8. On beat 5 I hit the keyboard and hold down the keys. The interval starts over - no cracks. In the next interval I hit the keyboard on 5, realease the keys after a short while (on, let's say, beat 6) and when the interval starts over - KRAJTZZCH (and a tiny delay in sound).

It's only me who hears it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but now I've tried with different RAMs and soundcards, tried other PCI-configs (to avoid the latency-issue) etc. etc. From my point of view this has to be releated to the software.

Man, this is killing the fun :-(
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
pljones

The only time I notice this is when our internet connect is playing up -- I think, for me, it's a problem with the uplink to the server not letting data through fast enough. I'm not sure how "clever" the compression and uplink code in NINJAM are -- they may still be working away when there's only a very low signal level. And any signal being pulled in will have a lot of random noise, compared with normal audio, so could be harder to compress - so take longer to transmit. Maybe...
Old 05-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
3mph

I'm not sure what you mean. The problem started when I got a new (faster and better) computer - I haven't changed ISP or other internet configuration.

Btw, your last URL in your signature fails in Opera-browser :-( (Sorry I had to bring it up here, but I can't figure out how to PM you..)

Last edited by 3mph; 05-28-2008 at 01:52 PM.
3mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
pljones

Have you checked things out with
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml?

New machines are weird. There's a guy with a 64bit multi-core AMD system running Linux who's getting constants xruns with wineasio (which for unknown reasons, I seem to support). On my 32bit single-core AMD system, it's pretty much okay... But an old version of the code works! So... Basically, things are weird... :lol:
Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Alex18

On Ninjam try turning down the metronome volume, if it's too loud it will crackle i found. Even if you do turn down the volume on your speakers/headphones that won't help. Well I'd say give it a shot i know mine did the same thing
Alex18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
AndyMc

Look for a guide to optimizing your pc for cubase, even if ya not using cubase its same thing for a lot of DAWS. Also if ya have vista then as of yet there is no fix unless someone knows of one.

Also PCI timings can have a lot to do with it too.

Really the best place to start is pops and cracks on google, u will find many guides on how to reduce it, what causes it and so on.

But if that don't help put ya machine specs on here, including, sound card even if built in, other sound cards if u have built in and extrernal or pci card.
Also mem type, motherboard, hard drive spec, as in speed, page file size (system cache), graphics card, ide configuration as in what one the cd drive is on and what the hd is on and os your using.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #13
3mph

Thanks for your sugesstions AndyMC. It's only at the start of every (on beat 1) interval it crakcles in the sound, and not after beat 1, so it might not be the cpu-power that cause the problem. Here's my specs:

I've tried with Creamware Powersampler and M-Audio Delta 1010lt.

Here's an Everest report (sorry for the Danish stuff): http://www.3mph.dk/report.htm

Thanks for your help!