Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
Frappa
Human being with feelings

Default 5.50? - macOS - disable I/O Safety Buffer setting (like in latest MainStage)

It looks like it's now possible to disable this macOS-CoreAudio-specific double-buffering ... see here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13675...ewlocale=en_US

'
I/O Safety Buffer checkbox: When selected, MainStage uses an additional buffer to process audio output streams, providing a safeguard against crackling noises that may occur when using very low I/O Buffer Size settings. If turning on this preference does not improve things on your system, disable the checkbox and select a larger I/O buffer size setting.

Note: Use of the I/O Safety Buffer preference increases the output latency and therefore the round trip (input plus output) latency.
'

Justin, are you going to add this tiny little, but very powerful option, in Reaper 5.50 ?
Frappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Magoostus

don't quote me on this, but i always thought reaper didnt support the "safety buffer" and was essentially always "disabled"
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Matt Mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frappa View Post
It looks like it's now possible to disable this macOS-CoreAudio-specific double-buffering ... see here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13675...ewlocale=en_US

'
I/O Safety Buffer checkbox: When selected, MainStage uses an additional buffer to process audio output streams, providing a safeguard against crackling noises that may occur when using very low I/O Buffer Size settings. If turning on this preference does not improve things on your system, disable the checkbox and select a larger I/O buffer size setting.

Note: Use of the I/O Safety Buffer preference increases the output latency and therefore the round trip (input plus output) latency.
'

Justin, are you going to add this tiny little, but very powerful option, in Reaper 5.50 ?
Isn't this a feature of MainStage specifically, not CoreAudio in general?
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
Frappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoostus View Post
don't quote me on this, but i always thought reaper didnt support the "safety buffer" and was essentially always "disabled"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
Isn't this a feature of MainStage specifically, not CoreAudio in general?
Magoostus, Matt, good questions ... Could somebody please shed some light on this?
Frappa is offline   Reply With Quote