Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-24-2021, 12:35 AM   #1
muxelles
Human being with feelings

Default how to route a 4 MIDI-channels from virtual piano individually to 4 channel output?

I've got a virtual piano with 4 microphones, and I'd like to route each mic individually to output 1-4.

I watched the multichannel video from Kenny and got the basic multichannel routing working. I've got 4 speakers and by panning L/R on "Output 1/2" and "Output 3/4" I can confirm that each speaker has it's own output channel.

But my problem is that all 4 MIDI channels go back to my virtual piano on track 1 and then all 4 MIDI channels are pushed to "Output 1/2" and "Output 3/4".

How do I push MIDI1=>output1, MIDI2=>output2, etc. so that each output channel is reproducing only 1 MIDI channel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper1.jpg (51.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg reaper2.jpg (58.2 KB, 129 views)
muxelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:17 AM   #2
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxelles View Post
How do I push MIDI1=>output1, MIDI2=>output2, etc. so that each output channel is reproducing only 1 MIDI channel?
You may need to set up separate instances of the virtual piano for each MIDI channel.

I don't have Pianotech, but the virtual instruments I am familiar with do not allow a single instance of an instrument to map different MIDI channels to different audio channels. You usually need a separate piano for each MIDI channel, and then route each piano to the output channel you want.

It it were me, I would set up a Reaper track structure like this:

Code:
Parent Folder Track (4 channels of audio)
  Piano 1 Child Track (MIDI channel 1) => audio channel 1
  Piano 2 Child Track (MIDI channel 2) => audio channel 2
  Piano 3 Child Track (MIDI channel 3) => audio channel 3
  Piano 4 Child Track (MIDI channel 4) => audio channel 4
If you have the 4 channels of MIDI all in one MIDI item, you can either explode it into separate items for each channel and place each item on its respective child track in the folder above, or you could leave it as one item and route each individual MIDI channel to its respective child track. Either way would work.

Last edited by lunker; 09-24-2021 at 03:24 AM.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:39 AM   #3
muxelles

In this example, I'm using pianoteq7 Standard, https://www.modartt.com/try

The plugin seems to allow the following in the "plugin pin connector":

I assume that means pianoteq plugin output 1-4 is "received" by "track 1 pianoteq 7" below:

I have also set Master to 4 track channels, and it correctly outputs to 4 channels from my audio interface:

But the problem seems to be in "track 1 pianoteq 7". It seems to send MIDI1-4 to *each* output channel instead of MIDI1=>output1 etc.

The suggestion is to add the pianoteq plugin 4 times, each with only 1 MIDI receive (mic) and 1 MONO send to a specific output channel?
Old 09-24-2021, 03:43 AM   #4
lunker

Quote:
But the problem seems to be in "track 1 pianoteq 7". It seems to send MIDI1-4 to *each* output channel instead of MIDI1=>output1 etc.

The suggestion is to add the pianoteq plugin 4 times, each with only 1 MIDI receive (mic) and 1 MONO send to a specific output channel?
That's how I would do it. I am not familiar with Pianotech, so maybe it provides a better way. But using separate instances will work for any virtual instrument.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
bigtop

Quote:
I've got a virtual piano with 4 microphones, and I'd like to route each mic individually to output 1-4.

I watched the multichannel video from Kenny and got the basic multichannel routing working. I've got 4 speakers and by panning L/R on "Output 1/2" and "Output 3/4" I can confirm that each speaker has it's own output channel.

But my problem is that all 4 MIDI channels go back to my virtual piano on track 1 and then all 4 MIDI channels are pushed to "Output 1/2" and "Output 3/4".

I’m not sure that pianoteq is a multichannel instrument. It may have multi mics but I’m not sure these can be routed the way you wish.

You could try,
Insert the VSTi rather than the AU version (some multichannel instruments are designed to run only the VSTi version)…
Right click and select “build multichannel routing….”
If pianoteq is not multichannel reaper will tell you via a warning dialogue window.

The routing you’re trying to build must, I think, be constructed within pianoteq. If it cannot be constructed then pianoteq is not multichannel.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2021, 03:51 AM   #6
muxelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post

You could try,
Insert the VSTi rather than the AU version (some multichannel instruments are designed to run only the VSTi version)…
you might be onto something. I got this routing confirmation when I chose the VSTi plugin. With the AU plugin, I built the multi-channel routing from the right click (as in the routing video by Kenny Gioia).

I think the difference is to choose multichannel routing, and NOT MIDI routing. But I don't understand why

It seems to be working at first blush, but I need to do some more testing to see if the channels are actually routed directly.

But on further inspection, I see that I can get the same result with the AU plugin by choosing:

Old 09-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

There’s one piano with four mics (probably two pairs) in front of it. All four mics pick up that one piano. You can play it with four hands, but it’s still just one piano. If you want one mic on each of four pianos, you need four pianos. This plugin won’t do four pianos at a time, so you’re going to need four of that plugin. Then you’ll have four pianos each with four mics, and can ignore three mics from each if that’s what you really want to do.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
bigtop

I think ash is correct and that’s basically what I meant when I said this plug-in is not multichannel in the sense the OP wishes.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:52 PM   #9
muxelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
There’s one piano with four mics (probably two pairs) in front of it. All four mics pick up that one piano. You can play it with four hands, but it’s still just one piano. If you want one mic on each of four pianos, you need four pianos. This plugin won’t do four pianos at a time, so you’re going to need four of that plugin. Then you’ll have four pianos each with four mics, and can ignore three mics from each if that’s what you really want to do.
I do understand that. what I'm trying to do is to get each mic on it's own channel+output+speaker and then mix the 4 outputs in reaper instead of the plugin. every mic will pick up the same piano/MIDI, but I don't want the sound to be mixed down to 2 channels. Instead, I'm trying to play with the placement of the 4 speakers to match the mic locations.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:56 AM   #10
DarkStar

If I am correct, Pianoteq has 5 microphones (selectable from 8?) and 5 output channels.

First thing to do is Build the Output Routing for the track

Then CHANGE the routing, in Reaper's Routing window;
-- stereo 1 to track 2
-- stereo 2 to track 3
-- mono 3 to track 4
-- mono 4 to track 5

Then, in Pianoteq,
-- select the 4 mics in the Mixer table,
-- set the volume of Mic 1 on Output 1,
-- set the volume of Mic 2 on Output 2,
-- set the volume of Mic 3 on Output 3,
-- set the volume of Mic 4 on Output 4.

That should do it. You can set the Delays if you want too,
Old 09-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
muxelles

@Darkstar that's what I did and it seems to work. As a newbie, my only remaining question is when to build MIDI routing vs output routing. The multichannel routing video by I originally followed led me to begin with multichannel MIDI routing, and that didn't work for me.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
DarkStar

The output routing is for the audio when the plug-in has several output channels that you want to use for different audio and send to separate tracks (as in your case) .

The MIDI Routing is for Input to the plug-in when you have a "multi-timbral" plug-in with several sounds loaded (e.g. Kontakt, SampleTank, Falcon). Each sound is driven by MIDI on a different MIDI channel. The MIDI Routing creates 16 tracks, each routed to the plug-in track, sending MIDI on a different channel.

The pics in this thread might help:
Kontakt 4, SampleTank and ...: "starter" signal paths, schematics and templates
Old 09-28-2021, 03:22 AM   #13
bigtop

Multi timbral = many sounds at same time. Each may be addressed by separate MIDI channels. For example Xpand by Air Music.
Multi channel = separate sounds can be routed to separate outputs (discrete channels/tracks). For example Spectrasonics Omnisphere and Native Instruments Kontakt.

Once again, I’m not sure pianoteq is multichannel. At least not in the sense that the OP wishes.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:44 AM   #14
muxelles

@Darkstar, @Bigtop Thanks for the clarification on MIDI routing. It make sense now that I watch the Kenny Gioia multichannel routing video again.

I think pianoteq is multichannel but NOT multi-timbral. It seems to be doing what I want it to do, which is to isolate individual mics onto separate channels/speakers.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:08 AM   #15
DarkStar

^^^
It has one sound at a time (mono-timbral?) and four audio outputs (so is multi-channel), one for each microphone.

The slight hiccough is that, by default the first output is stereo and the other three are mono.