Old 03-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
crosstalk
Human being with feelings

Default Edit Cursor CPU Spike

This has been an on going issue for awhile and I just recently realized what was going on when I enabled RT CPU and RT longest-block on the Performance Meter. If there are plugins that use PDC (the more PDC plugins, the worse), moving the edit cursor causes a cpu spike that can last several seconds and depending on how many plugins are using PDC, it can be a higher RT CPU usage (1000%) and longer delay before playback can begin. This only occurs when the edit cursor is moved by clicking on an empty track or the timeline (midi editor timeline too) while playback is stopped. If playback is active, then jumping around is not an issue. If clicking on a media item or midi item is used to move the edit cursor, then there is no issue.

This video demonstrates clicking on a media item vs clicking on an empty track/timeline with only two PDC using plugins (Slate VTM, Fabfilter Pro-L2) causing short RT CPU spikes.
https://youtu.be/BHYyBow_xNs

I've attached two images:
'Reaper Performance' shows the performance meter right after moving the edit cursor.
(Total CPU: 8.6%, RT CPU: 1031.6%, RT longest-block 2221.76ms/21.33ms) And you can see some of the spikes on the graph from when I moved the edit cursor.

'Reaper Performance Playing' shows the performance meter during actual playback of the song.
(Total CPU: 18.7%, RT CPU: 14.3%, RT longest-block: 4.04ms/21.33ms)

Still an issue as of Reaper 5.973 64bit running on Windows 10 Pro.
crosstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
crosstalk
Human being with feelings

This is still an issue almost a year later and on version 6.03.
crosstalk is offline   Reply With Quote