Old 03-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #201
heda
Human being with feelings

@Gianfini, let me know if this works for you with this update... it comes with two new actions.. one starts a new instance and refreshes tracks to selected tracks when starting and then locks them again.

and the other action it doesn't start a new instance, it only refreshes locked tracks to selected tracks whenever the action is run.

* v2.0pre2 (2019-03-13)
+ Instance variable that overrides locked tracks to selected tracks on start.
+ Action to refresh opened mixer to selected tracks.
# fix: don't unselect tracks on exit.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #202
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
@Gianfini, let me know if this works for you with this update... it comes with two new actions.. one starts a new instance and refreshes tracks to selected tracks when starting and then locks them again.

and the other action it doesn't start a new instance, it only refreshes locked tracks to selected tracks whenever the action is run.

* v2.0pre2 (2019-03-13)
+ Instance variable that overrides locked tracks to selected tracks on start.
+ Action to refresh opened mixer to selected tracks.
# fix: don't unselect tracks on exit.
This is now perfect!! Thank you Heda
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #203
hopi

[QUOTE=heda;1962509]
What I'm considering to add also is some shortcuts with the HeDamixer window active.. for example numbers from 1 to 9, to load/save locked tracks sets. Maybe that would also help.
Anything can be done.

That would be a good idea IMO.... sort of like instant screensets for your mixer that are reachable right inside the mixer itself....
Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #204
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
What I'm considering to add also is some shortcuts with the HeDamixer window active.. for example numbers from 1 to 9, to load/save locked tracks sets. Maybe that would also help.
Anything can be done.

That would be a good idea IMO.... sort of like instant screensets for your mixer that are reachable right inside the mixer itself....
good idea
My initial approach was to use different instances for each set of tracks needed. And then you can dock all in the same docker and access each of them with the tabs on the docker. But maybe it is better to have those actions that would switch sets of locked tracks on the fly without opening a new instance.

I am considering adding like a toolbar row on top with some buttons to access most used commands, because the right click menu is starting to be big.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #205
heda

Default v2.0pre3 (2019-03-26)

New version is out. You may want to preserve a backup of previous one, since this new version changes a few things.

Introducing Mixer Tabs. Each tab is a set of tracks to be displayed on a separate page. If you have many tracks, you can then organize them into tabs and switch between them easily without constant scrolling. It also adds the ability to specify some options for each tab independently of each other, like meter type, default meter width...
  • Create a new tab. Select some tracks first and then press the + button. The new tab will have the selected tracks and locked by default. If you want to edit the tracks displayed in the tab, unlock it first, select the tracks you want, and lock it again.
  • Switch to a tab. Left click on the tab button. Or with the mixer window focused, press numbers 1 to 9 to switch between the first 9 ones.
  • Right click menu of each tab:
  • Special Use MCP tab: This tab shows all tracks that are shown in REAPER MCP window. Right click and select Use MCP tracks. Be carefull to use it if you have many tracks and meter type set to RMS or EBUR128.
  • Refresh from MCP tracks: Right click tab and select Refresh from MCP tracks. This reloads the list of tracks displayed from the tracks displayed on MCP.
  • Lock/Unlock tab: Right click on the tab button, and uncheck/Check the lock menu.
  • Change meter type for the tab: Select Peaks/RMS/EBUR128 to change the meter type for all tracks in the tab.
  • Rename tab: Right click tab and select rename tab...
  • Delete tab: Right click and select Delete tab. No tracks are deleted, just the tab configuration.

Another change is that the Global Settings options are now in a dedicated menu button on the top left, and now when you right click on a track, the menu has only the options that affect that particular track or tracks.

A fix to prevent faders to disappear if the gain value is lower than the minimum Remember ALT+mouse wheel to change the minimim dB with the window focused. When docked, click on the track numbers or names to focus on the window.

* v2.0pre3 (2019-03-26)
+ Mixer tabs. Manage multiple sets of tracks with tabs
# Main menu for general settings and menu specific for each track on right click on track.
+ RESET to default command on main menu. Same effect as exiting and deleting the configuration file
+ 4 Fonts and sizes and menu to change fonts. Font 1 default font. Font 2 db grid small, font 3 track names, font 4 track number and IL.
# fix: draw last track vertical line
# fix: do not allow faders below threshold to avoid disappearing faders when -inf.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #206
Klangfarben

Holy cow, Heda. Mixer tabs look amazing!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #207
Klangfarben

Would you consider adding a show/hide option for the track number just like you have for the track name?

Also, this may have been requested already, but would you consider adding the option to show FX slots and send slots similar to the Reaper mixer? This would be extremely useful.

Thanks, Heda! Awesome work as usual.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #208
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Would you consider adding a show/hide option for the track number just like you have for the track name?

Also, this may have been requested already, but would you consider adding the option to show FX slots and send slots similar to the Reaper mixer? This would be extremely useful.

Thanks, Heda! Awesome work as usual.
yes.. I'll add the option to hide the track number.
Also.. the id numbers are quite big right now... it makes room for the track icon but the id number doesn't need to be that big. it can be changed with font4 size but then the icon gets smaller too... mmm I am not sure what to do. I think I'll add font5 for IL and font4 for id number.

fx slots and sends were not planned to do, but it can be done if enough people want them since I have it done on Track Inspector, so it would be just adapt it a bit to fit here.

Last edited by heda; 03-26-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #209
Klangfarben

Thanks, Heda! Regarding ID number size linked to track icon size. I'm not really concerned about track icons in the mixer. Maybe others will disagree, but I don't use them much and when I do only in the TCP.

Also, it would be great to have an option to set a track height in addition to track width. When you make the mixer window larger, the meter height is a bit much. Having a panel for track fx and sends would help but I think just in general having a global track height per mixer/mixer tab would be a good option.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #210
hopi

WoW! Tab's are just soooooo GREAT!

This makes using the mixer just super and along with save as new instance it becomes so kewl for making project specific mixers....

I doubt there is a way to save a given instance with the project, but if you find one that would be perfect IMO.... so that when we call up a project the VIP mixer for it loads with it.... right?

anyway... I am VERY excited by and thankful for your new version!

PS... just one more thought... the track names as seen in the mixer... would it ever be possible to have them show with vertical text? so that longer trk names are always visilbe?
I'm not sure how it would display in the mixer so it's just a thought

PS 2: any way to let the user define the size of the Tabs area? I would not mind being able to make it larger... [hi rez monitors so it is a little small for me]

Last edited by hopi; 03-26-2019 at 11:36 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #211
heda

Hopi. Thank you.
The tracks and tabs settings are saved in the project so they are specific to the project.
The global options on the main menu are saved globally for each instance for all projects.I'll think about autostart specific instances when opening projects... I think it would be possible, but a script running in the background should be all the time checking if a new project is opened. Maybe Track Inspector could launch the instances.

I wonder how rotated text would look before getting into it.

Change the Font size 1 to change the size of the tabs too.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #212
Chris Hurst Music

This is really cool Heda..

Just playing around with it, but have managed to get the following and unable to load the mixer (after trying to save):

__DEV__HeDaMixer VIP.lua:2277: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Hurst Music; 03-26-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Chris Hurst Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #213
heda

mmm I don't know what you did or how to reproduce but I hope it will be fixed in next version.
maybe try to delete HeDaMixer VIP settings/_Settings_1.cfg to reset to default?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #214
Chris Hurst Music

Quote:
mmm I don't know what you did or how to reproduce but I hope it will be fixed in next version.
maybe try to delete HeDaMixer VIP settings/_Settings_1.cfg to reset to default?
OK, I'll try that, thanks.

(I was trying to save a tab with some VCA faders on it)
Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #215
Chris Hurst Music

Trying this on my laptop now and it is really cool. Tabs are great.

Some thoughts:

Is it possible for the fader caps to be a different colour per tab? So my VCA tab could have green fader caps, whilst my FX tab has blue for example? Or could the fader caps pick up the track colour?

Great work!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #216
heda

faders can be changed per track, not per tab. Just right click in the middle of a track. You will see a menu with options for the selected track(s)
Additional fader images can be added in your settings folder by creating the png files there.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #217
heda

Default v2.0pre4 (2019-03-27)

adding some options for color background of the tracks and to hide track id number. Font 4 is now only for track id number.

* v2.0pre4 (2019-03-27)
+ option to show/hide track number
+ added font5 for IL, and use font4 for id number
+ Main menu: Color: Track background color
+ Main menu: Color: Track background color opacity
+ Main menu: Color: Track background color id
# a few bug fixes

Chris Hurst Music, let me know if this version crashes
Old 03-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #218
hopi

Quote:
Change the Font size 1 to change the size of the tabs too.
Thanks Now I understand the various fonts and sizes much better.

which brings up another question.... about the color for the numbers on the meters... is there any control for those? They are that unobtrusive gray... which is OK... yet I couild imagine something brighter for old eyes...

OK... now plz don't hate me for this next one, I can't help but ask:
So we have the track color of the reaper trks nicely at the bottom of the VIP Mixer panel.... what is the chance of actually coloring the whole panel with the track color?

[well I said, plz don't hate me %^) ]

PS... Ok now I'm gonna be in trouble... LoL How about a gap before this track as well? Because now with Tabs... I find some sets where I'd like to move the tracks away from the left edge of the mixer...
... but to really have this work as I'm dreaming would mean a given layout would be specific to a given Tab.... Shit hopi... I think that's going too far... just make new instance.

Last edited by hopi; 03-26-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:48 AM   #219
heda

Hopi... No hate haha
I will add the option for color text of the numbers
The options to tint all panel with track color was just added in pre4
Now that you mention it... It can be helpful to add gap before tracks... Or maybe you can use a track and change the track layout to separator and then adjust its width as you need. This will also be useful in normal mcp mixer that has themes with separator tracks.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #220
hopi

oh good.... thanks so much.
about the gap before track... yeah I have separators in my theme and tried that but it does not really work too well... if it is not too difficult for you it would be better in the VIP Mixer to have a gap before.

Oh ...one other idea.... what do you think about, if we clk on empty space in the VIP, say to the right of any tracks it will unselect all tracks? As it is now, I find I have to use the action to unselect all to do that.

EDIT: OK got the new pre and the color tracks is great!!! However it really makes the need to color the meter numbers important... since now they can almost vanish on some colors

Last edited by hopi; 03-27-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #221
Chris Hurst Music

Thanks for the update - works well now.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #222
hopi

Howdy Heda... sorry for the confusion on the logins but it's all good now, thanks for your help.

OK.. now with the new VIP Mixer version, I think there is a buglet in the colors for meters and tracks... it goes like this:

When we have the panels taking on the color of project tracks, then we cannot have the meter be its own color...[I'm sure just an oversight with the new features]
In other words... they automatically take on the track colors even if that option is not selected.

PS: the two new guys love the mixer!!!
...and I am crazy about it.... for a long time I've missed the Cubase 3 or 4 separate mixers... but now... Holy Smoke... Cubase can't even dream of what you have created. This thing is mind blowing.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 AM   #223
heda

Default v2.0pre5 (2019-03-28)

update to pre5. fixed meter color.. you are right...
and added color for db scales text I don't know how to name it... by default it should be white.

* v2.0pre5 (2019-03-28)
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color 2
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color 3
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color 4
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color for db scale text
+ Clicking after last track to unselect all tracks.
# fix meter color setting with track background color enabled

Quote:
...and I am crazy about it.... for a long time I've missed the Cubase 3 or 4 separate mixers... but now... Holy Smoke... Cubase can't even dream of what you have created. This thing is mind blowing.
haha what a great compliment. You made my day, thank you
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #224
Klangfarben

Thanks, Heda! Would you consider down the road to allowing track elements to be moved? I'm trying to match a little more closely the mixer of the theme I'm currently using. I'm used to seeing solo and mute at the bottom of the theme I'm using vs at the very top in HedaMixer. Also, a horizontal alignment for those elements makes more sense to me.

One other request. Could you center align text for the track name and number? Or at least make that an option? That would look a lot cleaner I think, especially with a lot of tracks.

Also, is there any way to replace graphical elements for pan and buttons or just the fader currently?

This is a screenshot of what I'm trying to match. I don't need it to be identical, but it would be nice if I could better match so when the Reaper mixer and Hedamixers are open at the same time they are closer.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #225
hopi

Quote:
update to pre5. fixed meter color.. you are right...
and added color for db scales text I don't know how to name it... by default it should be white.

* v2.0pre5 (2019-03-28)
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color 2
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color 3
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color 4
+ Main menu: Color: Set Color for db scale text
+ Clicking after last track to unselect all tracks.
# fix meter color setting with track background color enabled

haha what a great compliment. You made my day, thank you
Thanks for the fast changes.... "you da man"...

I'm out of complaints at the moment but I'll try to find more... LoL

OH seems like a new buglet... set color 4 says this:

__DEV__HeDaMixer VIP.lua:4585: attempt to call a nil value (global 'SetText4Color')

OK ... I see something that is an 'idea' to consider... fair warning cuz this is hopi's brain...hahaha

Let's see if I explain this OK...

Just think about 3 tracks for this example and then 3 tabs...
tab one has trks 1+2
tab two has traks1+3
tab three has all 3 tracks

IN tabs one and two the track width is set to 60px

and then in tab 3, I go and set the track width to 99px...
but I don't want it to change in tabs one and two... ONLY want it that wide in tab 3.

I realize this might be difficult or impossible, but I do have 'reasons' for it... that involve multi-channel tracks...
and it also can be a helpful way to indicate folder = Parent [wider] and Childs [narrower]

and that brings up another question... about how the pan controls vanish in narrow tracks... wonder if anything can be done about that?
...switch to a png stack knob below a certain width??? or something else???

[hopi... you go sit down now and stop this PITA stuff...]

PS Edit:

Ok thinking further... I realized I can have one mixer that uses narrow tracks and then another instance that uses much wider tracks [ 99 px]

so that is one workaround for what I was talking about above... it is pretty nice...
That solution still doesn't deal with the lack of panning when a track width goes below 53 px ... and I do 'get it' cuz that also is below the needed width to show
M, S, FX and IO pngs... at least as they now exist.

but it also makes me wonder this:

Imagine one mixer with many tabs and various tracks in each tab... let's call it mixer A
and then another mixer, call it mixer B, with only one tab but all the tracks in it, set to 99px wide.

Ok... I know we can save them as new instances and assign hot keys to each... yet, I was wondering if a tab on mixer A could be made to call up mixer B [and so on]
so that tab doesn't really hold any tracks... it just calls the mixer B.

Maybe I'm over thinking... or...

Last edited by hopi; 03-28-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #226
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Also, is there any way to replace graphical elements for pan and buttons or just the fader currently?
hi.. if you are a themer it should be easy for you... look in your scripts folders for the VIP Mixer and find the Default 5.0 theme
[suggest you make a copy as a back up first to some other location] ...and then you can edit the png files as in any theme...
umm gotta keep the sizes the same...
I personally have done this and also added a set of custom colored faders that match the 17 I use in my own theme...
You gotta be a little careful with how you name them [file names]

If you like, send me a PM with an email addy for you and I'll save you a lotta time %^)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #227
heda

Yes panning with a knob would be better for narrow tracks.
You can change the defauly width independently for each tab by adjusting it with left and right arrow keys or Ctrl+middle mouse button drag left and right. But if you define a track's with for one track it will always use that with in any tab.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #228
Klangfarben

Thanks Hopi and Heda! I will start playing around with this.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #229
heda

make sure you copy the "Default_5.0" folder into your settings folder and edit that copy.
so the folder will be: "HeDaScripts\HeDaMixer VIP settings\Default_5.0"
pngs will be read from there if the folder exists. These are not deleted when updating because it is in the "HeDaMixer VIP settings "folder. The "HeDamixer VIP" folder is deleted and replaced with the new one each update.

I'm making an option to center track name and if texts.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #230
Gianfini

Just a couple of small glitches to fix yet...

1) when only one track is selected overing the mouse on the track name creates a graphical issue (see movie)

2) When only one track is selected it is very very difficult to drag and move the track... the only "draggable" place is few pixels on the left side of the X for closing the window...

SOLUTION: could you add possibility to drag the track clicking and holding the track name?

thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #231
hopi

Gianfini... good idea.... but not understanding what I'm seeing in your picture

are those VIP Mixers with only one track in them?
Old 04-01-2019, 12:50 AM   #232
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Just a couple of small glitches to fix yet...

1) when only one track is selected overing the mouse on the track name creates a graphical issue (see movie)

2) When only one track is selected it is very very difficult to drag and move the track... the only "draggable" place is few pixels on the left side of the X for closing the window...

SOLUTION: could you add possibility to drag the track clicking and holding the track name?

thanks

I don't know how do you have this little gap on the left margin.. it shouldn't happen. Have you tried resetting settings to default?

if you only display one track, you may also want to disable the Highlight selected track option.

I would suggest to make the default track width a bit wider so you can have a few pixels more to grab the window title to move it.
on windows 7 I don't have this problem, I can grab below the X button.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #233
heda

Default v2.0pre6 (2019-04-02)

small changes only
new feature coming soon

* v2.0pre6 (2019-04-02)
+ Main menu: Show: Centered name and id texts
+ Main menu: dB scales: Level lines opacity...
# optimizations
Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #234
Gianfini

Quote:
Gianfini... good idea.... but not understanding what I'm seeing in your picture

are those VIP Mixers with only one track in them?
yes

I'm using them as floating mixer tracks

g
Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #235
hopi

Thanks for the ongoing updates Heda...
Just wondering if you have any plans for the future that include the record arm button and various native functions that we can get to with a rt clk on that?

Ummmm... and phase also?

...and, {dare I ask] grouping indicators?

Last edited by hopi; 04-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:07 AM   #236
Gianfini

Quote:
I don't know how do you have this little gap on the left margin.. it shouldn't happen. Have you tried resetting settings to default?

if you only display one track, you may also want to disable the Highlight selected track option.

I would suggest to make the default track width a bit wider so you can have a few pixels more to grab the window title to move it.
on windows 7 I don't have this problem, I can grab below the X button.
even when reset it shows the same problem.

Reason seems to be that when you over with the mouse on the track name the text gets moved on the left (no more centered), a white highlight appears around the track, + the color of the track name text changes.... why is this so? I would prefer nothing to change when mouse overs the track name

thanks
g
Old 04-06-2019, 03:39 AM   #237
hopi

Gianfini... are you on win7 or 10? ...and also do you run an aero theme?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #238
Gianfini

Quote:
Gianfini... are you on win7 or 10? ...and also do you run an aero theme?
Win 10

Albert theme tweaked by me.. but same behavior with original theme
g
Old 04-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #239
heda

I am not having the problem... Just tried on windows 10 too.
But I'll keep an eye on it
I can drag the window just from a bit below the window icon.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #240
heda

Quote:
Thanks for the ongoing updates Heda...
Just wondering if you have any plans for the future that include the record arm button and various native functions that we can get to with a rt clk on that?

Ummmm... and phase also?

...and, {dare I ask] grouping indicators?
Yeah. Ideally I want everything to be customizable, so I don't have to force anyone to have a specific layout... that is why there is the layout menu, which now only has normal, or separator. But it can have custom layouts with custom elements.

I also have grouping indicators as something to do for Track Inspector too.