Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #41
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

weird, im having freeze up problems in firefox after doing that.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #42
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
weird, im having freeze up problems in firefox after doing that.
Now that IS weird. I haven't had any issues with Firefox. Try reverting the GPO back to the way it was, as Karbo suggested.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The GPO is masking the issue so you would need to revert to properly test, however, you don't have to revert your GPO right now since its getting late but that would be the routine thing to do in order to officially check that off the list and be thorough. I'm not concerned about being wrong its just due diligence to take it formally off the table. Moving along... The installed non-portable version needs access to something that requires elevated privileges or it is flagged as blocked or similar. You could also consider the following at some point because it should allow you to reset the GPO and retain D&D and/or do some light troubleshooting at the same time at your convenience.

1. Portable installs are basically disposable and isolated, they can't harm your main installation AFAIK. You can (when bored) import the main config and add the VST paths etc to see if it suddenly breaks. If it does, you just found the problem, if it doesn't see #2.

2. Get rid of the official installation eventually or rather stop using it as your main version once you get a portable version set up to your liking. I went to the portable as at test a couple years ago and never went back. Having a portable version in my User folder means I can install as many Reaper portables as I want (in sister folders) and never worry about fubaring my go to staple portable install (not to mention I can just throw that on a USB drive and run it on another machine).

Otherwise, I'll shoot you some more things to check once I get freed up.
I will revert the GPO back to the way it was and see if that "breaks" it again. My question though is why? What is the issue with changing the group policies. Did you read the steps I did? Why is that an undesirable thing to do? (HERE)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #44
lowellben

In your situation, I really don't think editing Group Policy (local) is going to have any negative side effects. Of course, others may disagree, but that doesn't make them bad people.

Windows 8 permissions should be painless, but sometimes they can bog the user down. Since you're not in a shared PC/corporate environment, nor accessing a server constantly, or anything like that, then imo you're good to go with a simple GPO edit. If it works for you, be happy and go make music!

Best of luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #45
richie43

Thanks lowelben. I guess my real question is in any circumstance, what are possible bad side effects from editing the local group policy? In fact,I reverted them back to where they had been, and my drag and drop issue did not return. What's up with this?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I will revert the GPO back to the way it was and see if that "breaks" it again. My question though is why?
Ooops, I see now, you need the connection between that GPO and drag & drop, ok....

Remember when we spoke about needing admin rights? Let's assume for a moment Reaper.exe runs as "administrator" AKA the checkbox for it was checked in compatibility settings or some other reason. Reaper itself is now running in an environment that is slightly different and somewhat protected from the one you are logged in as. One of the protective barriers between those two environments is dragging and dropping because you are attempting to drag a file from one environment to the other, from your protected user environment to the now elevated reaper environment.

That file being D&D'd could theoretically be executable code, meaning a security risk because it would be allowing possible malicious code to get over and play inside the elevated environment reaper is running in as admin but was not explicitly requested by admin (the mouse drag of the file is coming from your user session into reaper elevated session). That's a big no-no and if allowed a huge security hole, so when you try to drag and drop, it simply isn't going to work. Think of it as a protective force field between your desktop and reaper. The GPO simply turns off any and all enforcement of those barriers. If reaper runs normally (not elevated) drag and drop is fine, both you and reaper are in the same session, no barriers, all good. I could probably word it better but that's the gist of what is going down.

I don't disagree with Lowell per se. You aren't suddenly now in some huge impending danger, but knowing the above and that you must turn off all protection for the entire OS just because there is a problem with Reaper's install doesn't typically sound justifiable to me because Reaper is coded properly as not to typically cause this elevation on its own.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
In fact,I reverted them back to where they had been, and my drag and drop issue did not return. What's up with this?
What? If that is the case, the run reaper as admin checkbox was the culprit unless you can reproduce it reliably with the "run as admin" checkbox unchecked and the GPO back to its reverted default. Again, IF that is the case, this is precisely the reason for the due diligence part.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #48
lowellben

Quote:
Ooops, I see now, you need the connection between that GPO and drag & drop, ok....

I don't disagree with Lowell per se. You aren't suddenly now in some huge impending danger, but knowing the above and that you must turn off all protection for the entire OS just because there is a problem with Reaper's install doesn't typically sound justifiable to me because Reaper is coded properly as not to typically cause this elevation on its own.
I know what you mean, and yes I agree with you - but UAC is, imo, not anywhere as safe as the root/UNIX approach to security. Those Vista/7 UAC prompts are massively annoying and so often a headache for most users. UAC is just not a good implementation, imo.

As long as you run a program like Security Essentials (or Defender now), or MalewareBytes, with a decent firewall, you won't get in any trouble. I haven't had a virus or trojan in what, 8 years almost?

Ideally, your DAW should be an offline PC anyway, in which case, you don't have any worry of an online attack - ever.

So, to sum it all up Richie: just be aware that you are technically "less" secure, but realistically I think you should be fine - but you have to decide just how annoying you find those prompts to be every time you D&D, etc
Good luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I know what you mean, and yes I agree with you - but UAC is, imo, not anywhere as safe as the root/UNIX approach to security.
That's even more reason to not go removing the security features it does have. He absolutely should not have the prompt to begin with so there isn't an annoying promt to discuss if reaper is configured properly.

Quote:
but you have to decide just how annoying you find those prompts to be every time you D&D, etc
Good luck!
Or he can simply fix it without hacking it while pretending it never happened. The only reason I think he should even do the GPO is because this is taking too long over the internet and he may not know what to check for; its a 5 minute fix to do it the right way the first time and be done with it forever. If he just wants to disable the feature, he can do so and get back to recording.

Anyway, I'm here to help, not debate UAC and I've provided more than enough info about the problem and its basic inner workings Cheers!

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-14-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #50
lowellben

Quote:
That's even more reason to not go removing the security features it does have.

Or he can simply fix it without hacking it while pretending it never happened. The only reason I think he should even do the GPO is because this is taking too long over the internet and he may not know what to check for; its a 5 minute fix to do it the right way the first time and be done with it forever. If he just wants to disable the feature, he can do so and get back to recording.
Right on!

One last question, I'm curious though - tech jargon:

What's the "simple fix" without hacking that he can/should do to fix this issue without using GPO?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Right on!

One last question, I'm curious though - tech jargon:

What's the "simple fix" without hacking that he can/should do to fix this issue without using GPO?
Uncheck run as admin most likely. See his last post to you. I can't guarantee that, it just highly smells like its that or better said, I'm unconvinced until we methodically test that piece properly so it can be taken off the table for good. I have no interest in being right, just painfully thorough because that is where most things get missed.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
lowellben

Quote:
Uncheck run as admin most likely. See his last post to you. I can't guarantee that, it just highly smells like its that or better said, I'm unconvinced until we methodically test that piece properly so it can be taken off the table for good. I have no interest in being right, just painfully thorough because that is where most things get missed.
True, good points!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
richie43

Default UPDATE

Thanks y'all. WHile lowelben's fix did the trick, I think Karbo is right. I reverted the GPO back to normal and unchecked the "run as admin", and everything works as expected. And both of you were correct, for different reasons! How cool is that?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #54
lowellben

Quote:
Thanks y'all. WHile lowelben's fix did the trick, I think Karbo is right. I reverted the GPO back to normal and unchecked the "run as admin", and everything works as expected. And both of you were correct, for different reasons! How cool is that?
Too cool for school
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #55
richie43

Quote:
Too cool for school
Too cool for this fool. The tool rules!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #56
karbomusic

Certainly great that its working now and you learned a few tricks along the way including Lowell's if you ever need it in the future. Drag and Drop away! I do that all the time actually, I never import or use media explorer, I just drag 'em into Reaper because its convenient. Anyway cool!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #57
richie43

Quote:
Certainly great that its working now and you learned a few tricks along the way including Lowell's if you ever need it in the future. Drag and Drop away! I do that all the time actually, I never import or use media explorer, I just drag 'em into Reaper because its convenient. Anyway cool!
Thanks again Karbo!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #58
Jae.Thomas

changing the security policy borked my dropbox

https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php...=5#post-511354
Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #59
richie43

Weird JBM. I actually restored my security policies back to normal, and unchecked the "run as admin" box for the Reaper exe, and everything works fine. Read through this whole thread, Karbo was right on with this one.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #60
Jae.Thomas

yeah i switched mine back too.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #61
karbomusic

Quote:
yeah i switched mine back too.
About your take ownership issue, here's a quick rundown on how it works and what you can do that should help you to not have to worry about it again. If it is an external drive, the reason this typically happens is because the external drive was formatted using NTFS. One of the main advantages of NTFS over FAT is that NTFS supports security descriptors. In other words there are access permissions at the file level and those permissions are maintained on the disk and they are also mapped to an actual user account in the OS.

Plug the external drive into another computer, look at is permissions under properties > security and you'll only see the account SID from the computer that owns the file/disk of the original computer instead of the user name. Since the new computer (or fresh install) cannot map that SID to the original account it only display's the SID which will look something like this:

S-1-5-21-95661877-3860777391-1413521220-1000

The SID is the underlying unique ID separate from the user name itself. This is why USB sticks typically come formatted as FAT32 which doesn't know anything about file level security and you are free to plug it into any computer and not see this problem. You can solve this in the future by formatting the external drive as FAT32 or take ownership of the entire drive at the root level and when doing so, force that change to cascade down through every file and subfolder below the root. If its a large disk with lots of data this could take a while to complete. Once complete you can also remove the unresolvable SID of the old account as its now useless, and you remove it at the root as well and let it cascade down. Do that properly and thoroughly and you'll not see the issue again. FYI you can convert a disk from FAT32 to NTFS but you cannot convert NTFS to FAT32 IIRC.

Concerning the dropbox issue, I assume it is because you installed it as admin with UAC on or similar. Context menus are stored in the registry and permissions also exist on every registry key so it's possible you created a condition where the DB context menu registry keys had insufficient permissions when enabling the GPO and they simply didn't display or warn you because the GPO was set to ignore it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-17-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #62
Jae.Thomas

its an internal drive - where I keep "my documents" - separate from the system drive
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #63
karbomusic

Quote:
its an internal drive - where I keep "my documents" - separate from the system drive
Its the same either way. I used external as an example because its the scenario most often hit (moving it from one machine to another because its a portable drive). Those permissions were still set by the previous OS and the new OS knows nothing about that previous user account, hence the need to take ownership.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-17-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #64
Jae.Thomas

I want NTFS for the support for larger filesizes... so taking ownership is the better way.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
I want NTFS for the support for larger filesizes... so taking ownership is the better way.
Correct (if you need to go beyond the 4GB limit for a single file), I'm just sharing as much info about what happens as I can so those reading actually have a chance of understanding both what their options are and what's going on behind the scenes. Never hurts to know how it actually works.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
Jae.Thomas

just wanted to mention that before anyone goes formatting every drive in FAT32 and then runs into problems with video files, etc
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #67
karbomusic

Quote:
just wanted to mention that before anyone goes formatting every drive in FAT32 and then runs into problems with video files, etc
LOL, good point.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #68
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
LOL, good point.
<--- already been there
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #69
karbomusic

Quote:
<--- already been there
You're cracking me up. Half of what I know came from such experiences.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #70
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
You're cracking me up. Half of what I know came from such experiences.
half? lucky guy.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #71
richie43

Quote:
half? lucky guy.
I am guilt as well.... but I sure know more now!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #72
karbomusic

Quote:
half? lucky guy.
The other half is my job so I have to actively seek out and find a way of understanding how it works ahead of time. If I'm troubleshooting something for a fortune 500 company or similar I kinda gotta know beforehand. I don't need some high profile CIO busting my balls because I guessed.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-17-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #73
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

The other half is my job so I have to actively seek out and find a way of understanding how it works ahead of time. If I'm troubleshooting something for a fortune 500 company or similar I kinda gotta know beforehand. I don't need some high profile CIO busting my balls because I guessed.
hehe, my first 5 years of using computers, I had so much trial and error im still making up for it

working for others, I don't do ANYTHING I haven't already done to my own stuff (and then my friend's stuff). At this point, that's alot. I've never run into this ownership problem before, but I am having a feeling I might see it soon, so I got another thing I can do now
Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #74
karbomusic

Quote:
hehe, my first 5 years of using computers, I had so much trial and error im still making up for it
And that is a very good way to learn certain aspects even though it can be a bit painful at times.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #75
Jae.Thomas

i cant drag and drop now either, from explorer.

works from reaper's media explorer. Whats up?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #76
richie43

Quote:
i cant drag and drop now either, from explorer.

works from reaper's media explorer. Whats up?
What? Have you stopped Reaper from running as admin? I think having it run as admin actually causes this issue.

My problem is that I did a few things that "solved" my problems, then undid them (including taking off admin privileges for Reaper) and my drag and drop ability remains good. So the only thing that I hadn't changed through it all was the admin privileges.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #77
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
What? Have you stopped Reaper from running as admin? I think having it run as admin actually causes this issue.

My problem is that I did a few things that "solved" my problems, then undid them (including taking off admin privileges for Reaper) and my drag and drop ability remains good. So the only thing that I hadn't changed through it all was the admin privileges.
nope, not running as admin. this wasn't my problem initially.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #78
karbomusic

Quote:
nope, not running as admin. this wasn't my problem initially.
Did you by chance upgrade reaper lately then choose "launch now"? Otherwise, check reaper.exe > properties > compatability to confirm if it is set to any compatability setting.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #79
richie43

Quote:
Did you by chance upgrade reaper lately then choose "launch now"? Otherwise, check reaper.exe > properties > compatability to confirm if it is set to any compatability setting.
I don't understand this.... I always do the "launch now", why would this cause any issues? (My inner geek is curious now).
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #80
karbomusic

Quote:
I don't understand this.... I always do the "launch now", why would this cause any issues? (My inner geek is curious now).
Because the installer requires elevated priviliges when it launches. At the end of the installation when it asks "launch now", it launches Reaper while still under elevated privileges. Those privileges may be passed on to the child process (Reaper). So at least during that session drag and drop might be funky or a remote chance this causes the run as admin option to be set everytime reaper is launched after that (doubt it though).

However, I'm sure they fixed this a good while back (just tested), so I don't really think its the problem at all; I was just double checking.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-24-2012 at 06:13 PM.