Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
DeeJayGray
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper for radio production

I’m returning to this forum after a long hiatus and I hope that you won’t mind indulging me – pretty much a non techie – with some much needed guidance!

After a two year break, I am returning to producing radio shows. I previously used Audacity – which is great – but want to move on to Reaper having read so many good things about it. The problem is, and despite many attempts, I am having real problems getting my head around it! I have tried video tutorials on YouTube but I find them too complex for a beginner. I have even looked at finding local college courses but without any luck.

If I describe what I did using Audacity, perhaps someone could point me in the direction of where I could learn how to do the same kind of thing on Reaper:

1. I recorded voice links on Audacity, edited them and then saved as individual MP3 files.

2. Once all these were done, I would open a new project and then import these voice link files, together with music files, into Audacity thus “building a show” with the wave forms in front of me on the screen.

3. I would then save that project as one large MP3 file (ie: the finished show)

4. (The only effects I used on Audacity were fade in, fade out, auto duck and occasional compression.)

If I could master these basics on Reaper, I would then have the confidence to go on and explore all the other things Reaper can do which I am really keen to do. (For one thing, I am particularly interested in “normalizing” my shows.) I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thank you!
DeeJayGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi DeeJayGray. Sorry it's been hard getting started.

What you describe is actually really easy to do in REAPER.

1. Record your voice links. Simply open REAPER, add a track, set the input for it (according to what's available on your audio interface), and remember to ARM the track. (You can optionally MONITOR the track through headphones etc.) Set levels on your interface and record.
(Kenny's video on recording a band shows the details of this.)

One point. I don't think it's wise to save these clips as mp3's as this is a "lossy" format. Best stick to wavs even if you have a good reason for rendering the final show to mp3.

For the next one simply click further along the timeline and repeat producing what REAPER calls a new ITEM.

2. I don't know why you need to save them separately at all. Just leave them on one (or more) tracks if you want. By all means save this as one project for safety.

3. Add a new track and using INSERT / MEDIA FILE music items, etc. as you need. You can position, split, duplicate, edit etc. etc. as you want just as in AUDACITY.
Effects and fade outs etc. are all straightforward - fades can be done graphically using the mouse by positioning it at the end of an item; effects are added from the effects window. Continue as often as you need.

4. RENDER the project when its all done to a wav or mp3.

So basically like you already know even if the interface is a bit overwhelming. Try again with Kenny's videos - he is ultra clear and takes things one step at a time which is what you want I think. Once the penny drops you will sail through I hope. And you can always come back on the forum with any specific problems.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
DeeJayGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Hi DeeJayGray. Sorry it's been hard getting started.

What you describe is actually really easy to do in REAPER.

1. Record your voice links. Simply open REAPER, add a track, set the input for it (according to what's available on your audio interface), and remember to ARM the track. (You can optionally MONITOR the track through headphones etc.) Set levels on your interface and record.
(Kenny's video on recording a band shows the details of this.)

One point. I don't think it's wise to save these clips as mp3's as this is a "lossy" format. Best stick to wavs even if you have a good reason for rendering the final show to mp3.

For the next one simply click further along the timeline and repeat producing what REAPER calls a new ITEM.

2. I don't know why you need to save them separately at all. Just leave them on one (or more) tracks if you want. By all means save this as one project for safety.

3. Add a new track and using INSERT / MEDIA FILE music items, etc. as you need. You can position, split, duplicate, edit etc. etc. as you want just as in AUDACITY.
Effects and fade outs etc. are all straightforward - fades can be done graphically using the mouse by positioning it at the end of an item; effects are added from the effects window. Continue as often as you need.

4. RENDER the project when its all done to a wav or mp3.

So basically like you already know even if the interface is a bit overwhelming. Try again with Kenny's videos - he is ultra clear and takes things one step at a time which is what you want I think. Once the penny drops you will sail through I hope. And you can always come back on the forum with any specific problems.
Thank you very much, Martifingers - really, really helpful. Good point about recording links as WAVs (which I shall do from now on) and point 2 is also something that I will definitely bear in mind (I have to get out of the Audacity mindset!). Once again, thank you for a really helpful response: I'm already feeling more confident.
DeeJayGray is offline   Reply With Quote