Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default Migration - Kubuntu to Manjaro KDE

today I have tested manjaro KDE in a V-box and it seems to run faster and more stable than my Kubuntu 18.04 ...
Kubuntu is running mostly stable but rarely the mouse freezes.

some questions about migration:
1. can I use my kubuntu KDE configs or the complete home folder w/ manjaro KDE?
2. in kubuntu I use Jack2 w/ Cadence but Jackd is installed by default for Manjaro, should I switch to jack2 and is there an installation command which installs all the required packages and dependencies?

I've already found wine-staging in Manjaro, I guess I can continue to use the existing wine bottles when migrating?
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
JamesPeters

I can't help you for specifically what you're asking, but I figure I should ask this question: do you think your issue might have something to do with your video driver?

I periodically experienced small freezes in MX Linux and it turned out I just had to select the Intel GPU driver specifically and not the default one.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I can't help you for specifically what you're asking, but I figure I should ask this question: do you think your issue might have something to do with your video driver?

I periodically experienced small freezes in MX Linux and it turned out I just had to select the Intel GPU driver specifically and not the default one.
Hi James,
it's not too bad w/ kubuntu, performance is good except infrequent freezing of the mouse ...
I have already tested nvidia proprietary drivers but the best performance I get with the nouveau driver and composite set to xrender.
I like the PPA and package management of kubuntu, but Manjaro seems to be a little more stable & faster.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
JamesPeters

I'm using MX Linux so I'm using XFCE, and I enabled Compton (it seemed nicer than XFCE compositor) around the time I chose the Intel driver over "modsetting". I have no experience with other DEs that I recall (the last time I used Linux for any length of time, I don't remember the specific distro and I never messed around with the DE or even cared what it was lol).

I'm not picky about package managers. The ones in MX Linux are fine (mostly Synaptic but sometimes I'll use MX Package Installer if I want to go "bleeding edge" (Debian backports or flatpack). I'm avoiding most things that aren't "standard" for the distro.

MX Linux is definitely stable and faster than Windows 7. I don't know what part of that can be attributed to MX Linux distro specifically, but it's around 30% (or a bit better) for CPU in Reaper and other CPU-intensive tasks than Windows 7.

Anyway I won't try to convince you to stick with Kubuntu since it's probably not a big deal to switch distros (but don't take my word for it). But, I wouldn't be surprised if you could resolve your issue in Kubuntu. It can be something minor and "right under your nose". I'd search around Linux forums opening up many browser tabs, and scouring the info.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #5
Snap

Quote:
can I use my kubuntu KDE configs or the complete home folder w/ manjaro KDE?
You should be able to drop your current home configs into the new system. But better don't go blindly. Check what Manjaro has already there. It's not like a barebones vanilla system. Manjaro use to have some neat configs as default (and some you won't like to keep too). You might like to keep some configs and dot files, or parts of them added into your buntu ones.

Quote:
should I switch to jack2 and is there an installation command which installs all the required packages and dependencies?
They cannot co-exist. You must use one or the other. There's not a huge difference and it's mostly related on what you want to do and how you plan to use jack. Though.... (I might be wrong here) IIRC, Cadence depends on Jack2??!!

This might help

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaud...ce_jack1_jack2

PS, Did you optimized your system for performance in any way or just living on the distro defaults? I guess you can make the buntu faster with some tweaks and disabling uneeded stuff and services eating up resources for no reason.

Last edited by Snap; 11-15-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
monty

yes it's fully optimized and fast, no xruns ... only the mouse freezes sometimes ...
the only error message from my log files is following:
Code:
pice-vdagent[1873]: Cannot access vdagent virtio channel /dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.
I have installed thunderbird 60.31 and google-chrome for checks between the rec. sessions and when using TB or Chrome, I guess that could be the reason
Old 11-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
yes it's fully optimized and fast, no xruns ... only the mouse freezes sometimes ...
the only error message from my log files is following:
Code:
pice-vdagent[1873]: Cannot access vdagent virtio channel /dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.
I have installed thunderbird 60.31 and google-chrome for checks between the rec. sessions and when using TB or Chrome, I guess that could be the reason
virtio? Are you using virtual machines (libvirt, KVM, Spice...)? Specially while running Reaper or other audio stuff?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 AM   #8
monty

no VM ...
found this but it does not work w/ kubuntu 18.04
https://askubuntu.com/questions/8800.../884950#884950

after login spice-vdagentd status shows inactive
and
sudo service spice-vdagent restart
set it to active
Code:
sudo systemctl status spice-vdagentd.service
● spice-vdagentd.service - Agent daemon for Spice guests
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/spice-vdagentd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-11-16 10:42:33 CET; 16min ago
  Process: 1928 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/spice-vdagentd $SPICE_VDAGENTD_EXTRA_ARGS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1927 ExecStartPre=/bin/rm -f /var/run/spice-vdagentd/spice-vdagent-sock (code=exited, status=0/SUCCES
 Main PID: 1929 (spice-vdagentd)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/spice-vdagentd.service
           └─1929 /usr/sbin/spice-vdagentd -X
when I put in into /etc/rc.local
/bin/systemctl restart spice-vdagentd.service

status shows active but it shows many session errors

seems to be a bug in spice-vdagentd

Last edited by monty; 11-16-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #9
Snap

I see. Kubuntu ships libvirt and some sort of spice stuff in their base system amongst other cruft. That's what put me away from all those mainstream distros years ago. Got tired of fighting and removing uneeded and unwanted stuff, orphans, etc... I prefer to start with a slim base and build from the ground up just installing what I need to have on-board.

Things like that virtio issue (the sum of them) is what make systems slow, buggy and messy. If properly stripped down (which is painful and time consuming) it can be made as smooth, sleek and responsive as any other as any other distro.

If you are not running VMs, better disable that service. You can always start it manually at any time if ever needed. The same for other superfluous services and daemons you don't need running at all times. Check what you have there running by default after booting.

As an example, here aside of the ttys, I only have two services running by default; alsa and udevd. Not even dbus is running as a daemon. When needed by some program it calls dbus and runs it.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:48 AM   #10
monty

Hi Snap, I have disabled the service, so currently it looks good in my log files ...
which distro would you recommend?
manjaro is not bad but you need to allow mostly unchecked sources for many packages, winasio also has dependency issues ... w/ kubuntu this is not the case and most of the kubuntu resources are checked, so I can install all the components of KXstudio or select them individually etc.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #11
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
Hi Snap, I have disabled the service, so currently it looks good in my log files ...
which distro would you recommend?
manjaro is not bad but you need to allow mostly unchecked sources for many packages, winasio also has dependency issues ... w/ kubuntu this is not the case and most of the kubuntu resources are checked, so I can install all the components of KXstudio or select them individually etc.
Well, I've never had very good experiences with Manjaro. But that's me. Some folks die and swear about how great Manjaro is. As usual, mileages vary. In addition to that, there are many Manjaro flavors to choose and they're quite different. You can get radically different experiences out of them. That was my case anyhow.

Once said that. Besides my favorite (and to go) distro for a general usage desktop is Void Linux, It's not what I would use and recommend for a dedicated DAW system. I would choose and recommend Debian with the KXStudio repos for this.

If I was asked this same question months ago, I would say the best way I knew was grabbing a LinuxBBQ spin and adding the Liquorix or AVLinux kernel plus the KXS repos to it. It was even a smaller base than vanilla Debian with saner defaults. By default it uses sysvinit but it's trivial and easy switching init systems (to OpenRC or systemd if you wanted that, though once embracing systemd there's no easy way back. It's a nightmare switching to a different init). Sadly, after languishing for quite some time, recently the BBQ seems to be dead and gone. My second best option was Vsido. A great Sid based spin. Again, sadly, It has gone on hiatus. There are no new iso releases since late april.

I wouldn't recommend a Sid spin older than 3 or 4 months. But if you are brave enough, you can try any of them anyway (Vsido, or LinuxBBQ's anorexia or adipositas) and see how it results after the surely huge (and likely problematic) first dist-upgrade.

So my two favorite options for this usage are now gone. At this point in time the alternatives I would use are Siduction or antix.

Siduction is a great one but quite bloated too. Most of the isos are 1GB+. Even the noX version is almost 650MB. A fat boy as a noX base IMHO. Anyway, as I said, it's one of the best Sid based Debian spins out there. Their own towo kernels are preempt and very good for audio already, though perhaps for dedicated DAW purposes maybe Liquorix or AVL kernels are a better choice.

The other option, antiX (or MX if you are ok with Debian stable, systemd and xfce), It's another great way to run Debian. It uses sysvinit too, but it's easy to switch to OpenRC (my personal choice for Debian). If you want systemd, better go with Siduction. antix tries to stay away from it.

Why Debian Sid? Mostly because of the KXStudio repos (and AVLinux too). They're based on Testing, so they roll while the base system doesn't. It's frozen. Mixing Debian Stable with repos tacking Testing/Unstable doesn't sound to me as a good recipe.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #12
monty

I switched to KDE Neon, some things have improved and it's faster ...
I still use the nouveau driver, which seems to work better and faster as the proprietary driver.
Mouse freeze still occurs, but only if I have chrome-stable open, it seems to be related to chrome.

Last edited by monty; 12-05-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 AM   #13
4duhwinnn

I did a fresh install of Manjaro-lxde a few days ago,
and most of the issues I've found are with
apps and their configurations, not with the linux parts.
It's meant as an experimental workplace, so I won't
whine much if I wreak the occasional havoc, and it's also
serving as a refresher course in some linux fundamentals,
which I need on Monday's anyway.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #14
s wave

try using a PS/2 mouse?, or usb 1 or usb 2? What are the ports for mouse? You know I found usb 2 and usb 3 not always compatible... learned that from some Mac users and experienced it firsthand. I love mint 19 user since mint 6 full time since mint 9. My fully schooled compu science friend swears by Manjaro i3 (you can designate section of monitor for firefox etc. - I like it but don't have the compilation skills he has. I will return as I get better. Fedora is my second choice - has great package manager RPM (many consider the best) Huge community support... nightly builds and pre-configured builds 'SPINS' for different preferences - their music build is called Jam...includes SooperLooper realtime looper for live sessions. I would of moved to it but Mint got nice logical volume manager (fedora already has it on desktop.) (fedora can handle google chrome/nvidia thunderbolt - The workstation is 1.8 gb I heard the core os is incredibly small if need be. I have Fedora 28 with my back up PC AND I can even switch the 2 hard drives between the PCs nice. gl
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #15
monty

another stable KDE distro without systemd:
https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/