Old 11-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Cubase 9.5

Just seen a quick release video of the new Cubase 9.5

The area selection/direct offline processing looks really nice and again, something that Reaper 'could' do easily and better?

The waveform updates whilst changing parameters!

Drag Midi to Sampler Track looks good also

(Note: I haven't used Cubase since 1999 VST? so am not a user myself) but just wanted to point it out to the 'Area Selection" fans here

Last edited by buckman; 11-15-2017 at 07:24 AM.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
heda

Flexible Pre/Post Fader. the only thing I find interesting that REAPER could have.

Direct Offline Processing. Also nice. it would be like Render item as new take automatically when something is changed in the original take. an idea for a script

enhanced metronome, automation curves, 64 bit engine... in almost 2018.. not bad!
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
michael diemer

I was fooling around with Cubase tirals recently. My takeaway:

1. Every time I tried to do an administrative task, like runnung their mainetenance tool, I would get the measage that I neded to close an application that was using Cubase. I would do so, and still get the same message. Only restarting the computer would gt around this.

2. Their forum is terrible. I have not been able to open my trial of Elements. Every time I try, AI opens instead. My plea for help has gone unanswered for two weeks.

So much for Cubase.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
_Stevie_

I like the flexibilty of Reaper in terms of using realtime FX much better than the direct offline function in Cubase. So, it's not a huge advantage in that area compared to Reaper. Plus, (I'm a longtime Cubase user) whereas in Reaper you can usually add functionality with scripts and the possibilities of customization, you are limited and caged in Cubase. Reaper is way more powerful than Cubase, no matter what.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Stella645

This will actually be first update I'm not buying immediately after release since C6.5. Enjoying Reaper's superior performance under load at the moment.

Seems like a good upgrade...just not right for me at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I was fooling around with Cubase tirals recently. My takeaway:

1. Every time I tried to do an administrative task, like runnung their mainetenance tool, I would get the measage that I neded to close an application that was using Cubase. I would do so, and still get the same message. Only restarting the computer would gt around this.

2. Their forum is terrible. I have not been able to open my trial of Elements. Every time I try, AI opens instead. My plea for help has gone unanswered for two weeks.

So much for Cubase.
Your forum query re the trial is actually answered yesterday...not sure if it solves your issue?
The problem is hardly anybody looks in most of the subforums particularly the LE/AI forum....a post in the Cubase 9/Artist/Elements general forum that get's lots of traffic would have been answered much quicker....and as the query was concerning Elements no-one could moan!!

re your other problem not sure what program you had that is "using" Cubase....if you're still interested in solving this PM me a link to a Sb forum post and I'll take a look.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Juan D'Fall

Location: On the Eastern edge of London (UK), almost on the Essex border.

Cubase forum and support is a waste of space. I looks like stuff doesn't answered for a very long time. I used to use Cubase elements, and I used to be on the forum. Last time I tried to get on it, my login didn't work. I was not able to set up another forum login 'name / email already in use'! I tried emailing and never got a response. I'm never going back to them. Especially now as the newest versions of Reaper p585s all over Cubase elements. So many bits I keep finding that Cubase just doesn't do.
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Flint_6

Steinberg, Cubase and it's audio post bigger brother Nuendo are a mixed bag. I'm a Nuendo user myself and actually like it, but behind the scenes I'm always grinding my teeth a little bit.

There are many helpful users on the Nuendo forums, but Steinberg almost never appears to communicate what's going on. Some high profile bugs of features they had as main advertising points for the new major release were not working properly even 8 months after release. They shipped a fix stating it was working now, but people on the forums said it was still broken, just in a different way. Testing seems to be not Steinberg's strong suit.

Sometimes, Steinberg people showed up on the forums, but never really addressed what's going on. It would have been so easy: "We're listening, we have identified the issue, we're trying this and that as solution and hope to update you soon." But nothing. I think this is quite bad, especially for a software that costs $1899 compared to $225.

I love Nuendo for its audio post features, namely full surround 5.1, 7.1, Atmos support with proper panners and channel routing and its ability to export large amounts of samples from a session based on a naming convention and run them through the complete routing with all plugins from channel to bus to master, and built-in ADR features. For my work as game sound designer and film mixer, these are killer features. If I wouldn't have them, I'd lose a lot of time in my projects.

But in every other way, Reaper seems superior. It's a lot faster than Nuendo and Cubase, which have been plagued by GUI performance issues for some time now. We only got Direct Offline Processing now while Reaper had Take FX for some time. Reaper's ability to be scripted and customized is beyond any other DAW out there. And it doesn't use a freaking dongle! If I would have gotten a penny for every time I cursed when I just didn't have my dongle with me to spontaneously work on a session because I left it in my studio so I don't lose it on the road... boy I'd be rich. Dongles are the worst.

Every world has their advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, I try to have a foot in each.
Flint_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
MRMJP

Direct Offline Processing which is similar to Pro Tools AudioSuite is something I'd love to see in REAPER.

Of course, people try to come up with all sorts of scripts/workarounds etc. that come somewhat close but none that I've seen are ideal yet.

Sometimes we want to process extremely small sections of audio using high CPU plugins (RX for example) and the inserting, managing, and rendering of these FX can be a hassle.

I think unless you've really used Direct Offline Processing or AudioSuite, it's hard to comment on how useful it can be.

This and Pro Tool style playlists are the two big things I think REAPER doesn't do as well as other DAWs. Otherwise REAPER runs circles around most other DAWs.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
This will actually be first update I'm not buying immediately after release since C6.5. Enjoying Reaper's superior performance under load at the moment.

Seems like a good upgrade...just not right for me at this time.

Your forum query re the trial is actually answered yesterday...not sure if it solves your issue?
The problem is hardly anybody looks in most of the subforums particularly the LE/AI forum....a post in the Cubase 9/Artist/Elements general forum that get's lots of traffic would have been answered much quicker....and as the query was concerning Elements no-one could moan!!

re your other problem not sure what program you had that is "using" Cubase....if you're still interested in solving this PM me a link to a Sb forum post and I'll take a look.
So it was. I stopped looking yesterday. I'll try the suggestion.

As for the other issue, I can't remember exactly what was happening, just that, several times, I tried to do something, kept getting told to close some app that was using cubase, and would have to shut down to fix it. I thought Cakewalk Command Center was bad, but this is ridiculous. Why make it so hard for people? with Reaper, you download and install in two minutes, whether you have bought it or are just trying it out. None of this other useless, time-wasting nonsense.

As for the forum, I really don't get that. So many people are using Cubase, or so I'm told. It shouldn't take two weeks to get an answer. With Reaper's forum, You hardly ever need the devs to chime in, the forum regulars almost always solve it for you, and fast. Same with Sonar, they also have a great forum.

I'll see if I can open Elements, but I don't have much time left in the trial, maybe a week or so.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Direct Offline Processing which is similar to Pro Tools AudioSuite is something I'd love to see in REAPER.

Of course, people try to come up with all sorts of scripts/workarounds etc. that come somewhat close but none that I've seen are ideal yet.

Sometimes we want to process extremely small sections of audio using high CPU plugins (RX for example) and the inserting, managing, and rendering of these FX can be a hassle.

I think unless you've really used Direct Offline Processing or AudioSuite, it's hard to comment on how useful it can be.

This and Pro Tool style playlists are the two big things I think REAPER doesn't do as well as other DAWs. Otherwise REAPER runs circles around most other DAWs.
Completely Agree.

This blurs the lines between Audio editor and DAW sequencer.

As good as Reaper is, its still a pain to split either side of the audio, process the audio, glue it back, then delete the unused older audio.

You just want to highlight over a peice of audio and change it!! or delete it destructively so that i know its gone
Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
MRMJP

Also, in general I'd say Steinberg support is not great but it seems that they have different support in each region which in some ways makes sense, but in others can just slow things down and water down the support quality.

I don't use Cubase/Nuendo but I do use WaveLab heavily for the mastering related things that REPAER can't do or can't do very elegantly and WaveLab support is top notch.

PG who is the original author of WaveLab will answer questions and issues directly and quickly. You can't get much better than that, much like REAPER.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
Flint_6

Quote:
It also depends on the use case. I for my part don't see any drawback using Take FX as opposed to Direct Offline Processing, as I use this feature only from time to time. But reading your use case, I absolutely see why it might be super useful and rendering all the time is not practical. I just haven't come across this problem yet in my productions.

Quote:
What is this playlist feature all PT users are talking about? I haven't used PT to date.
Flint_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
Vagalume

Cubase is not the best daw ... but it the best midi sequencer.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #14
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Cubase is not the best daw ... but it the best midi sequencer.
in what?
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #15
_Stevie_

Hm, I agree partly. The Logical Editor is on a high level, however, a lot of things that are possible in Reaper aren't in Cubase. The LE can't create events (notes or CCs), it can only alter them (select, delete, copy...). In that regard, Reaper is much more powerful. It's just most of the people don't grasp the whole potential (Reaper + SWS + scripts...).
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #16
cassembler

It's some pretty good new stuff, but a $50-200 upgrade stings... Every. Year.

I loved Cubase for years and years, but I don't miss it.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #17
buckman

I've just watched more videos on Cubase and the new Direct Offline Processing, and it does look great.

However, I really dont want to jump to Cubase!

Looking at the process and how its done, I still think Reaper could do this much quicker/snappier and better, alongside any new individual track 'area selection' like PT and audiosuite or indeed any editor.

Not only could you tweak audio tracks with little cuts, edits, fx etc, it would be great for trimming and tweaking a stereo master, and sound design.

I maybe different to a lot of users, as I came from early DAW's and editors, where i'd just 'sculpt' the original audio file with fx processes and re-mould it, as early computers couldnt have tons of 'live fx' sitting on a track fader.

This would be great for Reaper 6.0
Old 11-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #18
The-Zeronaut

I would kill to have the new cubase 9.5 in Reaper...

but hey what do I know...
Allowing subdivisions has ONLY been asked 10+ times over the last decade...
people clearly don't want a better non-basic metronome...
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassembler View Post
It's some pretty good new stuff, but a $50-200 upgrade stings... Every. Year.

I loved Cubase for years and years, but I don't miss it.
And this gives you less substantial new features than REAPER in the same amount of time, for free.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #20
occultron

I just upgraded to 9.5 after having a 2-3 year break from Cubase and...

I wish I could get my money back. There are _so_ many infuriating things in Cubase that you can tweak to "just work" in Reaper, and tweak exactly the way you want it, that Cubase will just annoy the heck out of you.

Cubase has some good professional features that I think Reaper is lacking. I especially miss stuff like the different ruler track types, MIDI CC editing (can be scripted in Reaper but much, much easier in Cubase), editing sends, and VariAudio integrated pitch editing is very good.

Also Cubase Track Versions are awesome and so simple to use, I wish Reaper had something like this.

But if you've at all grown accustomed to the customization options in Reaper, Cubase will sorely disappoint.

Anyway... FS: Cubase Pro 9.5

Last edited by occultron; 11-19-2017 at 08:09 AM.
occultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #21
deeb

i miss cubase a lot! not the price tho.

The workflow without customization is simple and natural for me.
i miss specially:
- less clicking,
- area selection,
- groove quantize,
- track inspector
- good simple info toolbars

which leads me spend time doing music instead of trying to make it natural for editing
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote