Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
Ekir75
Human being with feelings

Default Keyswitches with Garritan instruments not working

I have my multiple Aria players loaded with GPO5 instruments and generally, the playback works as expected; but some of the keyswitches aren't triggering. For example, I have Timpani 3 KS loaded and it plays back the file in terms of the notes; but the keyswitch for pre-recorded timpani rolls (E1) isn't working. I've deleted the keyswitch that exists from the Finale import and added it back in, but it still doesn't fire. When I go to the Aria player in which I have the Timpani 3 KS loaded, clicking E1 on the little keyboard at the bottom also doesn't trigger the keyswitch. None of the keyswitch notes trigger an actual keyswitch. I have to click on the little "Keyswitches" tab and select "Rolls" for it to be activated; but then it stays activated until it go back into Aria and turn it off.

This happens for several instruments in this score, but not all of them. For example, in my first Violin line, the Violin 1 KS I have loaded works fine with the notes triggering the keyswitches as they're supposed to. My Violin 2 KS doesn't, however. It responds to the keyswitch trigger notes the same way I described the Timpani above.

The keyswitches all work correctly in Finale when I play the original file back. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Ekir75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
lunker
Human being with feelings

I haven't used Finale in a few years, but I recall having some kind of issue like this, and it turned out that Finale was exporting the keyswitch notes on the wrong MIDI channel.

I opened a ticket with Make Music about it, but they denied it was a problem, and said I was doing something wrong. I eventually gave up on it, and just remembered to manually put the keyswitch notes on the correct channel.

I would hope that problem is fixed by now, so perhaps your problem is different -- but it couldn't hurt to check to make sure that you have the keyswitch notes on the correct channel for the instruments that aren't working right.

Another thing to check is to make sure that you have the "Notation" version of the instrument loaded in Reaper. It has the keyswitch notes in the very lowest MIDI octave, and Finale knows to put them there. If you load the other version of the instrument (I think it's called the "Standard" version?), it expects the keyswitch notes in the octave right below the range of playable notes, which often is not the same octave as where Finale puts the keyswitch notes.

Last edited by lunker; 06-16-2021 at 10:58 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote