Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #761
ReaMike
Human being with feelings

Divide the 0-255 value by 255?
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #762
foxAsteria

Since it appears that Filther's approaching final stages(?), I wanna quickly give all my last input.

1. Are envelopes and feedback still beta (cos the parentheses)?
2. Thresh text over the line should be centered, so it can't overlap the buttons.
3. Feedback "A" button still has the line through it, unlike the other buttons.
4. Maybe a "?" button in the corner to turn off the tooltips and hilighting altogether? Secret shortcut would be fine too...(e.g. ctrl+?)
5. I don't seem to have control of the font color for the background, so in the light theme we can't see the labels of the graphs. Might be easiest for consistency if that just followed the filter description color.
6. I guess it's late for a big change but I'm just wondering about the multiplier buttons. Combined, they give an array of delay speeds. Why not dropdown lists for that?
7. One more biggie I guess, but it suddenly strikes me how nice it would be to have a mirror button on the envelopes. The envelope would then alternate between forwards and backwards. Especially when looping, this would be awesome.
8. Bold/bigger text for major sections; Master, Filthers, Routing, Dynamics, LFO, Envelopes? I know, nitpicky.
9. Filled input on RMS graph?
10. Lastly, the meters on the voltage graphs...maybe 50% opacity?

And oh man! Let me also reiterate how slick this plugin has come together. It's truly a joy to behold. So much cleverness in that code... And with the color options you've allowed me, it can be immediately intuitive, despite the incredible complexity!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 05-12-2019 at 11:42 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #763
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaMike View Post
Divide the 0-255 value by 255?
Is that what I mean? I get confused easily with numbers...
Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #764
ReaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Is that what I mean? I get confused easily with numbers...
Same. It's probably wrong.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #765
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaMike View Post
Same. It's probably wrong.
It works tho.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #766
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Awesome, thanks. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but it really would be best if filters always maintained correct polarity. (Obviously this is not possible where phase shifts occur, but the basic system should always be '+ in, + out'.)
You're right of course.

At first, I thought it may be a phase issue, but you were correct in that the polarity was inverted. I just checked it a bit more extensively. I also checked the paper again, and I think they define their input voltage differently. Anyways, I swapped the polarity. I also checked the others and it seems like the Narsty also had a polarity issue which is now resolved. Thanks for the keen eye!

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a procrastinator. I'll get on it. Just some touch up stuff, but I might try one more new one.
Hey, no prob! I thought I'd just give you a nudge

Quote:
Since you're good at math, can I get the 0-1 value from a 0-255 value just by dividing 255/(0-1 value)? If so, do you have any favorite art works you'd like me to copy the color scheme of?
A famous work of art? Pshshhhhhh I have no idea. I quite like your purple rain theme

Quote:
One other problem Is that the floating tooltip background is also dark. Can it follow the color of the combo bg? Or is it there and I just don't see it?
Good point. Done.

Quote:
Since it appears that Filther's approaching final stages(?), I wanna quickly give all my last input.
Fair enough

Quote:
1. Are envelopes and feedback still beta (cos the parentheses)?
Removed.

Quote:
2. Thresh text over the line should be centered, so it can't overlap the buttons.
OK, done.

Quote:
3. Feedback "A" button still has the line through it, unlike the other buttons.
Ooh, good eye. Done.

Quote:
4. Maybe a "?" button in the corner to turn off the tooltips and hilighting altogether? Secret shortcut would be fine too...(e.g. ctrl+?)
There is already a shortcut for this. It's T, but it wasn't in the help (F1), which it is now. I don't really want to add a button, because anywhere I put it it looked weird and out of place.

Quote:
5. I don't seem to have control of the font color for the background, so in the light theme we can't see the labels of the graphs. Might be easiest for consistency if that just followed the filter description color.
Done. I've exposed the new colors too though. In case you do want a last minute tweak. New colors are: label_color_rgba, gonio_axis_rgba and spline_knot_rgba (noticed some readability issues there).

Quote:
6. I guess it's late for a big change but I'm just wondering about the multiplier buttons. Combined, they give an array of delay speeds. Why not dropdown lists for that?
Sorry, can't be done without screwing up earlier presets, so no.

Quote:
7. One more biggie I guess, but it suddenly strikes me how nice it would be to have a mirror button on the envelopes. The envelope would then alternate between forwards and backwards. Especially when looping, this would be awesome.
...if I feel adventurous at some point, I might add this, but it's shelved for now.

Quote:
8. Bold/bigger text for major sections; Master, Filthers, Routing, Dynamics, LFO, Envelopes? I know, nitpicky.
Bolded on your themes.

Quote:
9. Filled input on RMS graph?
Done. Good idea actually, also to keep it similar to the spectrum.

Quote:
10. Lastly, the meters on the voltage graphs...maybe 50% opacity
I will expose them as variable for your themes. Set to 50% now.

Quote:
And oh man! Let me also reiterate how slick this plugin has come together. It's truly a joy to behold. So much cleverness in that code... And with the color options you've allowed me, it can be immediately intuitive, despite the incredible complexity!
I don't know if it's that clever. It's just a lot.

There are things I would've done differently if I had to do it again. But alas, this is part of the process

Switching themes can be done with the "." key.

And Fox, thanks a lot for making these themes! It's quite nice seeing it with fresher colors

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-13-2019 at 03:45 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #767
foxAsteria

You rock dude! Thanks for those tweaks. Looks really polished to me now and that's a really nice preview you made. I do hope you'll feel adventurous at some point tho...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #768
todd_r

This and Hackey Trackey are my most used Reaper plugins/extensions. It's lookign like Squashman will be up there too. Thanks sai'ke!. I'd be happy to donate if you had a link
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #769
Bri1
Banned

yesyes-- some really greater additions here...( metallic diffuser reminds me of kong's - 'rattler' module ) =great for plastic cymbals..
it's a beautiful thing,being able to share.
thanx2all.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #770
TonE

What is the cheapest (cpu-wise) technique making filters sound more 'alive'? Just as a general concept? Which tricks are used and could be used in future eventually? Just brainstorming, kind of. Or does this question count as offtopic? I would guess the answer something like 'doing continuous minimal, hearable changes', but the big question is 'where'?
- what is hearable? <- would need some adjustment
- what is minimal? <- would need some adjustment

Something like auto-randomization of above. Probably this could be done with current version already, then using some auto-randomization fx applied to some well adjusted parameters and parameter ranges?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #771
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
yesyes-- some really greater additions here...( metallic diffuser reminds me of kong's - 'rattler' module ) =great for plastic cymbals..
it's a beautiful thing,being able to share.
thanx2all.
Yes, thanks saike, some forum users need to learn this, greetings to heda.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #772
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What is the cheapest (cpu-wise) technique making filters sound more 'alive'? Just as a general concept? Which tricks are used and could be used in future eventually? Just brainstorming, kind of. Or does this question count as offtopic? I would guess the answer something like 'doing continuous minimal, hearable changes', but the big question is 'where'?
- what is hearable? <- would need some adjustment
- what is minimal? <- would need some adjustment

Something like auto-randomization of above. Probably this could be done with current version already, then using some auto-randomization fx applied to some well adjusted parameters and parameter ranges?
Any sort of answer to this is going to be highly subjective and context specific. What would work would really depend on your aim and what's going on in the rest of the track.

Cheapest filters are probably linear ones. You can modulate them pretty cheaply too. Depending on the modulation speed, you could even get away with modulating the parameters every N samples.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #773
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What is the cheapest (cpu-wise) technique making filters sound more 'alive'? Just as a general concept?
Put very shallow, slow LFO's on every smooth parameter. This is part of the secret of old analog hardware anyway, which often produces slight variations each cycle.

I do this with most of my synth sounds to make them more interesting without changing the sound noticeably.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 AM   #774
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
This and Hackey Trackey are my most used Reaper plugins/extensions. It's lookign like Squashman will be up there too. Thanks sai'ke!. I'd be happy to donate if you had a link
I'm glad you like them.

To me, all the great feature requests and bug reports I've been getting were really useful for maturing this thing. I consider that a donation already
Old 05-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #775
Saukar30

How do we change themes?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #776
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saukar30 View Post
How do we change themes?
Press the full stop/period key '.'
Old 05-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #777
TonE

If you need any test data for filther, here we go, great for playing around in filther and watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtR63-ecUNo
Old 05-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #778
JHughes
Banned

That's fantastic, thanks for the link TonE.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:33 AM   #779
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
i'm so stupid, that i had never looked into this thread, Filther is awesome, thanks!

is there a way to decrease latency of plugin?
Ghehe, thanks.

Turning both lookahead and FIR off will reduce latency.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #780
sai'ke

Oh, that sounds like a bug. And definitely one worth fixing!

Do you have a set of presets and steps that I can use to reproduce this on my machine?
Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #781
sai'ke

Hey doppelganger,

I just had a look, but it seems that this is not something that I can fix on my end. It seems pdc_delay only gets reduced on transport start/stop/seek :/

My guess is that it's probably to prevent some crackle, or re-synchronisation that would happen without a reset, but I'm not sure. Would be nice if this was somehow configurable in REAPER.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #782
sai'ke

Well, glad the plugin is useful to you anyway.

I decided to add Filther to the stash now as well, in case someone looks there who doesn't look at the forums

Changelog 2.93:
Bugfix FB Comb. It made an annoying screechy sound since 2.31. Should be fully functional again.

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-30-2019 at 06:14 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:59 AM   #783
sai'ke

Little blast from the past. I had forgotten about this one, but this tune was made with the predecessor of Filther (Filth Filter). It takes a while to get going, but it's supposed to follow a ninja on the run from his master, parkouring over the rooftops of a big city trying to get away, before finally...

Filth filter was a very similar plugin but as a buzzmachine. I have since lost the source code though and Filth filter was/is much more fickle and unstable than Filther is now. To be honest, it was actually buggy as hell, which is why I never released it. It also only had 8 semi-fixed shapers and 4 filter types

On the topic of Filther though, I'm pretty happy with how it works now. I'd still be interested if any bugs come up though.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #784
Ivannn Bennnettt

Good tune,
nice part after 4:58
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #785
foxAsteria

You made that track in Buzz?!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #786
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivannn Bennnettt View Post
Good tune,
nice part after 4:58
Thanks. And hahaha, I have no idea what happened there. It's been too long

Quote:
You made that track in Buzz?!
Yup

From the top of my head, Oatmeal, filth filter, JX-10, Oomek Aggressor, BootEq, Classic Master Limiter... but probably others I'm forgetting about.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #787
daxliniere

Hey Sai'ke, I started playing around with Filther in a project and discovered there's quite a bit of stair-stepping with the Cutoff control.

Is there something I've missed here?
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #788
sai'ke

Hmm. Odd. Live or when using recorded or programmed automation?

The latter should never produce stairstepping. The former will if inertia is off. What samplerate and blocksize size are you working with?
Old 07-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #789
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Hmm. Odd. Live or when using recorded or programmed automation?

The latter should never produce stairstepping. The former will if inertia is off. What samplerate and blocksize size are you working with?
Hey man,
Noticed it with manual control in real-time. If there's a way to avoid that, I think it should be enabled by default, no?
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #790
sai'ke

Turning inertia on should fix it (the button is in the panel for filter1). Normally when you interact via the GUI, inertia is very briefly silently turned on to smooth things. When using a controller I cannot differentiate this from reaper automation.

Inertia is off by default because it allows sample accurate automation. Since reaper automation curves are already interpolated inertia is not necessary nor desirable in the case where automation is driven by envelope tracks (reaper reports what automation items are incoming).

If enabling the inertia button doesn't fix the stepping, then something strange is going on.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #791
GonZ

Hi, first of all, to say I really love this plugin! Thanks for creating/sharing such an awesome tool!
I'm writing because I have a couple of doubts:

1. I see in the first post that Voltage Graph can show the current waveshaping curve, but I cannot achieve it.

2. I'm having some issues with the Waveshaper "Spline" which are difficult to explain by words. So, an example: try to open a preset (the first one, as instance, "Beef"), then go to the Voltage Negative graph and try to move the point number 2. As you can see, not just point 2 is being moved but also number 3. What is happening?

Thank you. Regards,
Gonzalo
GonZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #792
sai'ke

Oh man, thanks for letting me know Gonzalo. That was actually a bug that snuck in on version 2.80. It should be fixed now if you update (3.00).
Old 10-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #793
GonZ

Quote:
Oh man, thanks for letting me know Gonzalo. That was actually a bug that snuck in on version 2.80. It should be fixed now if you update (3.00).
Yes, it's fixed Thanks!

Last edited by GonZ; 10-09-2019 at 03:34 AM.
GonZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #794
JamesPeters

Quote:
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. Do you know if there is a way to detect OS from within JSFX?

I wouldn't mind adding something that scales up the font or the whole UI on linux up if that'd help (and be possible).

As a hotfix, if you CTRL+F for setupGUI, you can see that retina_scaling is set to gfx_ext_retina there. Could just overwrite it with retina_scaling = 1.1 to scale the UI a bit. This would also make the fonts larger.

The following lines control the font size (also in setupGUI):
Code:
  widgetFontSize = widgetFontSize * font_factor;
  buttonFontSize = buttonFontSize * font_factor;
Finding a combination of settings modifications (scaling and additions to the font size) that look decent enough on linux would also be helpful to me.
Talk about a late reply! I haven't used Filther in a long time. Anyway here's what looks good on my system in Linux (using a 1920*1200 24" monitor, or a 1920*1080 23" monitor):

Code:
widgetFontSize = widgetFontSize * font_factor * ( 1.2 + linuxMode * .2 );
buttonFontSize = buttonFontSize * font_factor * 1.2;
I'm able to read everything, and the buttons seem to all be there (when I make that same 1.2 change to the buttonFontSize line). I don't see a setup when I hit CTRL+F (and I checked that's not mapped to another Reaper or Linux shortcut), so maybe that's been removed?
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #795
sai'ke

For those of you that still happen to use filther. There have been a few new additions, namely the harmonizers. They're pretty CPU hungry, but they are nice for making things like shephards tone-like effects. It's basically a stack of peak SVFs
Old 02-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #796
ReaMike

Quote:
For those of you that still happen to use filther. There have been a few new additions, namely the harmonizers. They're pretty CPU hungry, but they are nice for making things like shephards tone-like effects. It's basically a stack of peak SVFs

Still happening

Thanks for the new toys!
Old 03-01-2020, 02:32 AM   #797
todd_r

Quote:
...There have been a few new additions, namely the harmonizers...)
Ooh wow, thanks
Old 04-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #798
beingmf

Is this the best filter ITB? Amazing how you can shape your kick drums and your basses. Thanks SO MUCH, Sai'ke!
Old 04-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #799
sai'ke

Ghehe, thanks man!

What does ITB mean?
Old 04-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #800
JamesPeters

"In the box", as in using plugins instead of hardware.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote