Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
bivens1234
Human being with feelings

Default Midi Offset

I am recording a orchestral piece with virtual strings. The problem I am having is the actual attack happens 130ms after the start note. I can not seem to find a way to offset the notes ahead of the grid 130ms without doing it manually. Does anyone know an easier way to do this
bivens1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
nait

OK, how about this way... it's still hoakey, but it works a lot quicker than other manual ways. Select the very first MIDI item, right click, and pick item properties. Select the time radio button and change the position value to be the current value minus 0:00.130 (ex. if it says 0:00.500, change it to 0:00.370). Now you just select the rest of the items, and drag them over snapping beside that first item.

Now I assume you want that attack time in your instrument.. cause if you don't, you can always remove it from the VSTi itself, probably.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
bivens1234

Default Found it

I talked with John from reaper blog and he said there was a js plugin that would work. I search and found Time Adjustment Delay. It can be set to negotiate or positive values in milliseconds. That for the help.
bivens1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivens1234 View Post
I talked with John from reaper blog and he said there was a js plugin that would work. I search and found Time Adjustment Delay. It can be set to negotiate or positive values in milliseconds. That for the help.
Oh wow, there's a solution for everything now it seems. That's good to know! Not sure how long that script has been around, but it seems it wasn't available several years ago (I found some older posts about this, and this wasn't possible an automated way back then). Glad you found the answer.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
mschnell

While you can use the plugin ReaPack -> "+/- delay" for this (enable the "Midi" handling), AFAIU, a relatively new feature of Reaper's is allowing for positive and negative track delay natively. There are several long winding forum threads about this.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivens1234 View Post
I am recording a orchestral piece with virtual strings. The problem I am having is the actual attack happens 130ms after the start note. I can not seem to find a way to offset the notes ahead of the grid 130ms without doing it manually. Does anyone know an easier way to do this
Everything you need to know is here