Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
dkeatscary
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to share a Reaper project with another Reaper user?

I've looked at the Consolidate function, but am not sure that's what I need. I want to share an entire project with someone so they can EQ and mix the tracks. Since the recipient and I likely don't own the same plugins, I assume I need to render the whole project into separate stem files. Is this correct? Is there a formal, proper way to do this, or an action that'll do this efficiently for me? I've looked around here and not found a good answer. Of course, I'm pretty brain dead lately, so I could very well be missing it.

THANK YOU!

Dave

Last edited by dkeatscary; 05-25-2011 at 07:21 AM.
dkeatscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
RABIDMADDOG

I'm not really familiar with the export function since I just render VSTi output and don't generally work with recorded audio tracks.

However, you could try "create subdirectory for project" and "copy all media into project directory" in the "save as" dialog box. This will save the RPP file along with all the associated audio files into one folder. You could then zip or rar the folder if desired. What will not open on the recipients end is any plugins you may have installed they they do not. So, any such VSTi tracks would indeed need to be recorded to audio first.
RABIDMADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
bigwoody

Consolidate is the way to go if you do not have the same plug-ins. Since your partner is a Reaper user it is even easier just to copy the entire folder where the project is saved and get it to him. The only thing that will happen when he opens the project is that he will get a warning that it cannot find certain FX. He can then just simply delete them from the chain's and replace with his own.
So two different ways of doing the same thing. The advantage of consolidate is that a: he will not get the warning of missing FX and b: he will not get any of the extra takes or bits of audio/files that are not currently used in the project.
Something to think about is since you are early in the mixing/sharing stage to use Reaper plug-ins for EQ and comp as much as possible so you are coming from the same place.