Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
nicholas
Scribe

Default 10% off new spiral bound User Guide until Feb 5

LULU are giving 10% off all printed books sales until Feb 5. This includes the spiral bound copies of both the User Guide and ReaMix.

The full undiscounted price will be shown on the page where you click Add to Cart. At checkout you will be able to enter the case sensitive code INSPIRE10 to secure your discount.

Follow this link if interested:
https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/glazfolk

This offer might not be available in some countries. Full details of LULU discount terms and conditions etc here:
https://help.lulu.com/s/article/Disc...language=en_US

Last edited by nicholas; 02-01-2021 at 02:31 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
slider
Human being with feelings

I think I purchased before the discount but must say it's worth every penny. I have the old 2.5 edition that I used for a reference and was really anxious to just start tracking back then so didn't really READ it. Now with the 6.12 edition I'm reading it like a novel and taking the time to enjoy and digest. There's so much I missed the first time and a lot that has been added since I guess. This is going to make Reaper so much more enjoyable. Even if I don't retain every bit of it at least I'll be familiar enough to know what's in there. And when I'm done reading this I'll move on to RE-Mix which has been gathering dust for years. DISCLAIMER; I have no interest in the sale of this book but am just thoroughly enjoying it and appreciating.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

Thank you, slider!
Old 10-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Enginelover

Do you know how long this offer is given today? Until 12 pm or does it end earlier?
Enginelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Larry Kriz

I just bought one like a week ago. I was mildly surprised by how nice it looked. Professional. I like the spiral style binder. Easy to read in bed lol
Old 11-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #6
Aikido123

Very good manual
Aikido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:46 AM   #7
nicholas
Scribe

This offer has been extended to Jan 1, 2021, midnight your local time.

Last edited by nicholas; 01-04-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
garanimals

purchased reamix-
Thanks for your support over the years Nicholas!
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
gvdv

Everyone raves about how good the User Guide is, so I am considering buying the spiral bound User Guide.

However, I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing so (mostly because of the price), and would appreciate the perspectives of others here about this (including you, nicholas!).

Part of my dilemma is that Reaper is updated relatively frequently (it seems like every couple of months, at least), so I am wondering how useful a physical copy of the User Guide will be, given that it will not be current for long.

What do you all think?
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

This is a very fair question.

I would say, to put it in perspective, that in general updates mostly add new features rather than change the way things are done. Year on year, I would estimate that 95% or so of Reaper features remain the same.

Thus, even after a year or more you should still find it useful as a reference document to look up when you need to.

Ultimately of course it's up to you to decide whether that will be useful to you.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
This is a very fair question.

I would say, to put it in perspective, that in general updates mostly add new features rather than change the way things are done. Year on year, I would estimate that 95% or so of Reaper features remain the same.

Thus, even after a year or more you should still find it useful as a reference document to look up when you need to.

Ultimately of course it's up to you to decide whether that will be useful to you.
Thanks very much, nicholas.

That is a very thoughtful and useful perspective.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

I'd also add that most updates are incremental, with more bug fixes and performance improvements than new features.

I do know that when a major new feature is introduced (as happened initially, for example, with the notation editor and spectral edits) some people do like to just print those few pages and keep them with the printed User Guide,
Old 12-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
gvdv

Quote:
I'd also add that most updates are incremental, with more bug fixes and performance improvements than new features.

I do know that when a major new feature is introduced (as happened initially, for example, with the notation editor and spectral edits) some people do like to just print those few pages and keep them with the printed User Guide,
Thanks for mentioning that, nicholas.

That is a very good idea, and one which I had not thought of.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
airon

Sir, I just spotted this bug report on the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroneris View Post
I've found Reaper v6.14 manual still provides the dead Zeranoe link to get built FFmpeg...
I wish it will be corrected.
Phroneris provides a Japanese language pack.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #15
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Sir, I just spotted this bug report on the manual.
Thank you for pointing it out! You'll be pleased to hear, I hope, that this was fixed for the 6.16 and subsequent editions!

Last edited by nicholas; 12-28-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:27 AM   #16
nicholas
Scribe

This offer has now been extended to Jan 10, 2021, midnight your local time.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #17
gvdv

Quote:
This offer has now been extended to Jan 10, 2021, midnight your local time.
Nicholas, can you tell me how much shipping to Toronto would cost?
Old 01-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #18
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
Everyone raves about how good the User Guide is, so I am considering buying the spiral bound User Guide.

However, I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing so (mostly because of the price), and would appreciate the perspectives of others here about this (including you, nicholas!).

Part of my dilemma is that Reaper is updated relatively frequently (it seems like every couple of months, at least), so I am wondering how useful a physical copy of the User Guide will be, given that it will not be current for long.

What do you all think?
I paid for a spiral bound guide, kind of regret it; to be honest as you said Reaper updates so regularly before you know it the spiral guide will be dated. The PDF is free, good enough for me. but it did look cool to have a spiral bound printed guide, fwiw. I think it might be worth having a printed guide at least once for each major version (5,6, and someday 7).
Old 01-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
Nicholas, can you tell me how much shipping to Toronto would cost?
Sorry, I don't have access to that info.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #20
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
I paid for a spiral bound guide, kind of regret it; to be honest as you said Reaper updates so regularly before you know it the spiral guide will be dated. The PDF is free, good enough for me. but it did look cool to have a spiral bound printed guide, fwiw. I think it might be worth having a printed guide at least once for each major version (5,6, and someday 7).
Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply randall117.

The last thing I need around here is yet another book (a lifetime's addiction has filled several bookcases), but I do find that I learn more from leafing through instructional books than I do from 'leafing through' electronic books and manuals (although I do leaf through the electronic versions, but somehow it is different).

So, I am going to pull the proverbial trigger on the spiral-bound Reaper Guide, and just write in any significant changes that updates bring about.

And, I will follow your suggestion of waiting for the next major version to get a new hard-copy version.

Thanks very much.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #21
gvdv

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have access to that info.
Thanks, nicholas.

I will go through the order process, and - I hope - come to a point which tells me the postage before I am committed to buying.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #22
gvdv

I just went through the hell of getting caught in various loops on the Lulu / Shopify shopping page before semi-'successfully' completing my order.

I did this through PayPal.

Specifically, I had to fill in the same information about 14 times on the Lulu/Shopify page before things eventually half-worked.

The second problem, and the reason that I say this 'half'-worked, is that even though I had (at one point) successfully applied the discount code, by the time of my fourteenth attempt, the discount was not reflected in my final total, which is pretty upsetting, and it shows that this is another part of the ordering process that does not work, or that the discount cannot be applied when ordering through PayPal (if this is the case, then it should be made clear on the Lulu / Shopify page).

If anyone reading this (perhaps you, nicholas) has any way of contacting the powers-that-be who control this method of purchasing, and could pass on my experience, I would be grateful.

I certainly will not be ordering Reaper products using this process again, and would suggest changing the online seller or fixing these kinds of problems.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #23
nicholas
Scribe

Thanks for the feedback .. I'll see what can be done.

Sorry about your not getting a discount. As stated in my original post, it is not available in all countries, though sadly they don't say which these are.

If you PM me with your PayPay account details, I'll personally send you the equivalent of the 10% discount.

Last edited by nicholas; 01-22-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:12 AM   #24
gvdv

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback .. I'll see what can be done.

Sorry about your not getting a discount. As stated in my original post, it is not available in all countries, though sadly they don't say which these are.

If you PM me with your PayPay account details, I'll personally send you the equivalent of the 10% discount.
Thanks, nicholas.

I think that there is some kind of disconnection between one part of the site and the other part because (and sorry if this was not clear in my post above), in my earlier attempts, the discount did seem to be accepted (at least in the panel on the right side of the page), because after I pasted and submitted the THANKS10 code, it took a few seconds, and then it appeared sort of pasted in just below the box into which I had typed it.

Then, though, going to the panel on the left side of the page, filling in my shipping details and clicking 'PayPal' as a method of payment at times erased the THANKS10, or erased the shipping info. I had just entered.

Actually, it would not accept this info. in total, it kept on erasing my email address and phone number (highlighting those boxes in red because they had suddenly become blank).

Anyway, thanks for being prepared to give me the discount, and I will PM you with my PayPal details.