Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Gtr65
Human being with feelings

Default Stereo Mix Track vs. Separate L & R Tracks

I'm trying to understand the difference between a track that records a stereo mix of Sends 1 & 2, panned Center, versus two tracks of the same mix, with Send 1 routed to one track and panned hard left, and Send 2 routed to the other and panned hard right.

Is the same stereo separation being achieved both ways?

Is there any advantage to employing one method over the other?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Gtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
TONDOG64

If you pan the mono tracks hard left and right the output will be stereo just as you would expect from a true stereo track. I don't know why one would bother having the same recording on two different tracks unless you have some need to do something different with each side. It makes more sense and uses less of everything to have it on one stereo track.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
Gtr65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONDOG64 View Post
If you pan the mono tracks hard left and right the output will be stereo just as you would expect from a true stereo track. I don't know why one would bother having the same recording on two different tracks unless you have some need to do something different with each side. It makes more sense and uses less of everything to have it on one stereo track.
Thanks, Tony. I guess what I'm not quite understanding is the concept of a single stereo track; that is, a single track containing two separate wave forms, panned center, yet yielding slightly different signals to the Master left & right channels, thus preserving its stereo mix.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
TONDOG64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr65 View Post
I guess what I'm not quite understanding is the concept of a single stereo track; that is, a single track containing two separate wave forms, panned center, yet yielding slightly different signals to the Master left & right channels, thus preserving its stereo mix.
It sounds to me that you understand it quite well.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Gtr65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONDOG64 View Post
It sounds to me that you understand it quite well.
Believe me, it was a lucky guess!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
Staccato

Having a left and a right does not make a track stereo by any means. True stereo is recorded with two seperate sound sources. If you use identical input (one sound source) on both the left and right, you still have mono.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 AM   #7
Yaz

Say you record an instrument with 'wet' sound such as a guitar with stereo chorus or ping pong delay. 1 stereo wave panned to the left in the mix would decrease sound levels of any signal recorded on the right side of the stereo wave file. thus 2 seperate waves with "wet" effects could be panned to the left say -60 and -40 thus preserving the stereo effect applied to the instrument but panned left.

The same could be applied on a dry signal such as doubling a weak vocal. 2 seperate waves one can be offset and panned differently from the other to create a fatter vocal.

Last edited by Yaz; 08-14-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote