vincePEARL
Human being with feelings

THanks Xena
vincePEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:13 AM   #122
vincePEARL

Default ARM boxes

Just a side note for you guys/girls here....

AS you probably know ...you have been able to get Octa core 64 bit ARM TV boxes
now for a while at around 24.99 dollars new. (with coupon)

These are very very powerful computers. Arriving with ANdroid 9 and a 100 built in apps and eveything like power bricks, remote. 8 gigs on onboard SSD

These are far and away the best computer buys out there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_52

https://yadi.sk/d/gHQ_tvdG3Yhnh5

There are variuos models some with Ethernet some not....but you can just
use 80 cents Ethernet-to-USB dongles off ebay. no drivers needed.

you can see youtube vids of how easy Linux ARM goes onto the box's.

You can get different box's....some 2GB and other features at great prices.

Ofcourse, they all have free cUstom linux ARM builds for them.
So there is your OCTA core machine for music with Reaper on ARM
(or any ARM daw)

Get two boxes and you have 16 cpu cores for Reaper..... and so on.

The great thing also is when you want to install and run any win32 or win64 software tools.... you just use free web services like Cameyo.com and run them all in the box's browser//cloud. (Say photoshop or whatever, and it's FAST......)

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/01...-tv-box-promo/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neL2na0_mOI

if you read the link above (towards the reviews end) they point you to the very good
FREE Linux ARM build for these computers. It runs well. A version of Armbian ARM Linux.

Like i say, these computers have been "no brainers" for a long time now.

You use a microSD card for the ARM Linux....but you can also put Linux direct
on the box's 8 gigs of storage and DUAL BOOT Linux ARM or Android 9.

Reaper CPU farms would be a great usage case for these computers.

The box has so many other uses even if your Reaper projects were just part of that box's use.

They come with built-in analogue Microphones for Skype etc......or you can use your own USB dacs.

They have analogue audio out......... or HDMI audio out....HDMI microphone IN

thx

Vince.

Last edited by vincePEARL; 08-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
vincePEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #123
JohnAngelo716

I use reamote! It has saved my skin on a couple occasions when I had a big project and just needed a hair more available dsp. Please keep it!
JohnAngelo716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #124
Tower Studio

I don't know what the status is on this matter, but I found this thread after searching for help with ReaMote. I'm currently experimenting with it and actually got it to work so far and it's very much promising to make my life A LOT easier without too much hassle. I want to use it to run a couple of VERY CPU intensive mastering plugins. But I can't get any metering or visual feedback from the plugins (although all other controls work fine), which is so damn frustrating (and for mastering plugins I need metering). Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to get those working that I overlooked? Even Cockos or JS plugins seem to have that problem here.
Tower Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #125
clepsydrae

IIRC reamote just uses the VST parameters of the local instance to control the remote instance (someone correct me if wrong). If you want the real GUI on your local machine, you might consider another solution. E.g. you can use remote desktop software to control/watch the remote plugins and then loop the audio out and back in as if it was an external hardware chain. I assume you'd have to correct for latency manually in that case.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #126
mschnell

Very obviously only Audio and Midi is sent back from the Remotely running version of a plugin, but not any visual feedback that it gives in its GUI.

To see those remotely you would need to use Remote Desktop or some similar tool, which might be a little less handy, but supposedly doable.

In fact I vote for a new version of ReaMote that does not need to install the plugin on the local box, but only on the remote one, and hence do away with licensing and version/setup synchronization issues, but allow for configuring the remoted plugins via Remote Desktop (or similar).

(Independent of Reaper) I once did a program that allows for showing a rectangle on a remote boxes GUI in a window in a local box (based on the open source VNC protocol). Such tool - at best built into Reaper's ReaMote - would come handy here.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:45 AM   #127
kris.audioplanet

I am just beginning my foray into Reamote but I am definitely a client
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:51 AM   #128
kris.audioplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Studio View Post
I don't know what the status is on this matter, but I found this thread after searching for help with ReaMote. I'm currently experimenting with it and actually got it to work so far and it's very much promising to make my life A LOT easier without too much hassle. I want to use it to run a couple of VERY CPU intensive mastering plugins. But I can't get any metering or visual feedback from the plugins (although all other controls work fine), which is so damn frustrating (and for mastering plugins I need metering). Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to get those working that I overlooked? Even Cockos or JS plugins seem to have that problem here.
As far as I know the metering doesn't work.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #129
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet View Post
As far as I know the metering doesn't work.
As the local GUI of the FX is completely decoupled from the remote FXes GUI, it can't.

Remoting the GUI is a completely additional task / protocol from remoting audio and Midi.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-17-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #130
Lefthander

I have moved to Reaper especially, but not primarily because of the reamote app. My only issue with it is it seems to disconnect the plugins when idle for more than a few seconds, or am I missing a setting or two. As someone else has said it would be nice if we didn't have to have the plugins on both machines as this can mean extra licences for some plugins.
Lefthander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #131
AtmanActive

Default Kind of working

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
There's nothing to be sad about, it's not working.

It looks like it is working, it is pretending to be working, but in reality, it is broken.

Newsflash: it is working. But the trouble is, it isn't following Reaper's settings (I'm using Reaper portable at all times) about VST paths, so it is assuming that VSTs should be present at a well known path (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins).
Once I figured that out, I was able to make it work by copying all plugin files to that folder. And, it is useful, but, exactly how useful, I would need a few months to determine that.

In any case, Cockos, I would suggest you just upgrade it to recognize reaper.ini from the same folder it was started in and that's it. reamote.exe should definitely follow all settings set for Reaper in the same folder. Or, introduce it's own set of settings and databases.

Thanks.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #132
Manight

Default Please do not

One of the main reason I switched to Reaper.
Such a great feature... just underdeveloped. It could be a breakthrough id better and fully developed/bugfixed.

Ethernet is no more a bottleneck with 10Gb and 40Gb cards becoming more and more common.
Vienna Ensemble Pro is good but has great limitations (one for all it's not possible to offload insert effects) and it adds another layer making workflow more complex.

Reamote is native. PLease give more love to this unique feature
Manight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:54 AM   #133
kris.audioplanet

Another great feature is sub-projects, which also needs some extra attention
Old 04-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #134
Perken

I’d be sad to see reamote go, since I have to use it when nearing the end of almost everyone of my projects.
Computers get more powerful over time, but plugins progressively require more power too. Having the option to offload some of the bus processing to other machines laying around the house is a pure blessing.
Perken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:54 AM   #135
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just curious -- does anybody use ReaMote? If we removed it would you be sad? Do tell!
No, not me, not knowing even what it does or for what it is useful? Did anyone answer those questions in this thread?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #136
Hellfog

Please update ReaMote
Hellfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #137
juan_r

+1 improve it, don't ditch it!

Absolutely. I've been a big fan of remoting CPU power/disk libraries for a long time. Remember FX Teleport anyone?

I am with @mschnell about the main point: having to have the very same plugin.version installed on both machines is the biggest hindrance. I personally don't mind having to Remote Desktop/VNC into the "slave" machine to access the plugin GUI, as long as the underlying system (Reaper in this case) handles the moving of audio/midi streams without the need for me to setup complex audio/midi send/return arrangements. Just an additional category "ReaMote" in the FX selection dialog. A dream!

I would be quite happy to have the "server" (slave) part of ReaMote decoupled into a separate program - basically a specialized VST/VSTi host with a specialized protocol to talk to the main "client" (master: Reaper). The protocol is already in place (great forward thinking, Justin, Schwa &co), and it works fine. Transferring the GUI to the master machine is a welcome plus, but entirely optional for my use case - as long as I don't need to have two machines with synchronized installs just to be able to execute a plugin remotely.

In other words: what I would really like now is a specialized ReaMote server that displays the GUI locally, without trying to show it on the client's screen. I think this would negate the need for synchronized installs, and it would provide us with a terrific tool for, e.g., large orchestral template setups or CPU-hungry fx like Nebula.

One can always hope...

Last edited by juan_r; 05-17-2020 at 12:47 PM.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #138
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Transferring the GUI to the master machine is a welcome plus, but entirely optional
I in fact once did a "transfer a rectangle of a remote GUI to a rectangle in my GUI" program by means of the free VNC protocol libraries. That was not hard to do, works in realtime and would allow for installing the plugin only on the remote engine and not locally.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-17-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #139
juan_r

... and the UI transfer could be shut down (spare LAN bandwidth) if the window is closed on the master.

Unfortunately, the TightVNC libs are licensed through GPL (v3 by default I think). Same goes for LibVNCServer/LibVNCClient, so they can't be used in commercial software without appropriate licensing.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:21 AM   #140
AtmanActive

At the end of the day, maybe the best way forward is Audiogridder.

https://audiogridder.com

It is free, open-source, everyone can contribute. It already has solved the biggest problem (remote UI), so it is already years ahead of Reamote. It can only grow and get better going forward. The more love and support we show, the better it will get. Check it out.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #141
vitalker

Quote:
At the end of the day, maybe the best way forward is Audiogridder.

https://audiogridder.com

It is free, open-source, everyone can contribute. It already has solved the biggest problem (remote UI), so it is already years ahead of Reamote. It can only grow and get better going forward. The more love and support we show, the better it will get. Check it out.
Looks promising! Thanks for sharing.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #142
Reaktor:[Dave]

Wow, super excited to try it out.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #143
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Unfortunately, the TightVNC libs are licensed through GPL (v3 by default I think). Same goes for LibVNCServer/LibVNCClient, so they can't be used in commercial software without appropriate licensing.
I don't know if/how GPLed stuff can be used in a Plugin. In theory this is possible, but it might be that this is incompatible to any Steinberg licensed VST usage.

-Michael
Old 02-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #144
mschnell

Quote:
Seems great.

Seemingly you can even easily use Windows plugins with Reaper / Linux with same.

-Michael
Old 02-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #145
juan_r

That project deserves an encouragement. I made a donation in December, and will likely donate more. However, it's still a little clunky and rough around the edges. I can't yet trust AudioGridder enough for a project on deadline.

A Reaper native solution, with the solid no-nonsense effectiveness of, say, NinJam, would be a total delight for me. I believe it is totally within the scope and philosophy of the current developer team. It's probably just a matter of priorities.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #146
mschnell

If they can do it, Cockos can do it easily (especially much of the infrastructure already is in place.)

-Michael
Old 05-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #147
teeramusic

I too wish reamote would see some love from the devs. The only reason I (and I guess many other people working on large projects) don't use it is that it's not really reliable enough yet.
teeramusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #148
loji

Absolutely keep it

With ATMOS and large Multi-Channel work happening more often (at higher rates) ... It can be a make or break for some projects ... especially since REAPER already is one of (if not THE) best multi-channel DAWs with 64 channel routing ...

once you start handling busses that big, the ReaMOte functionality is huge.
loji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #149
mduque

Default NetVST Project

This is another option: http://netvst.org/wiki/doku.php
mduque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #150
Rockum

Can you provide updated links for these boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincePEARL View Post
Just a side note for you guys/girls here....

AS you probably know ...you have been able to get Octa core 64 bit ARM TV boxes
now for a while at around 24.99 dollars new. (with coupon)

These are very very powerful computers. Arriving with ANdroid 9 and a 100 built in apps and eveything like power bricks, remote. 8 gigs on onboard SSD

These are far and away the best computer buys out there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_52

https://yadi.sk/d/gHQ_tvdG3Yhnh5

There are variuos models some with Ethernet some not....but you can just
use 80 cents Ethernet-to-USB dongles off ebay. no drivers needed.

you can see youtube vids of how easy Linux ARM goes onto the box's.

You can get different box's....some 2GB and other features at great prices.

Ofcourse, they all have free cUstom linux ARM builds for them.
So there is your OCTA core machine for music with Reaper on ARM
(or any ARM daw)

Get two boxes and you have 16 cpu cores for Reaper..... and so on.

The great thing also is when you want to install and run any win32 or win64 software tools.... you just use free web services like Cameyo.com and run them all in the box's browser//cloud. (Say photoshop or whatever, and it's FAST......)

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/01...-tv-box-promo/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neL2na0_mOI

if you read the link above (towards the reviews end) they point you to the very good
FREE Linux ARM build for these computers. It runs well. A version of Armbian ARM Linux.

Like i say, these computers have been "no brainers" for a long time now.

You use a microSD card for the ARM Linux....but you can also put Linux direct
on the box's 8 gigs of storage and DUAL BOOT Linux ARM or Android 9.

Reaper CPU farms would be a great usage case for these computers.

The box has so many other uses even if your Reaper projects were just part of that box's use.

They come with built-in analogue Microphones for Skype etc......or you can use your own USB dacs.

They have analogue audio out......... or HDMI audio out....HDMI microphone IN

thx

Vince.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #151
EugenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just curious -- does anybody use ReaMote? If we removed it would you be sad? Do tell!
I'm a beginner in Reaper although I've been working with DAWs since 1987.
For me that was a huge argument to watch Reaper.
I drive all computers to the top with big projects, mostly about tracks and plugins.
Meanwhile many people ask me why I try to do my new projects on Reaper...
There are a few arguments for this and one of them is ReaMote. With young people that I teach, it's all the virtual synths. Then there are some people who make film music, they often have a lot of virtual synths, a lot of tracks and use a lot of plugins at the same time.
Every time I show this to people they open their mouths...)))
I think this is a very brilliant idea! I would nurture that idea and use it to promote Reaper.
I myself now have to get along with the standard things in order to be able to continue working fluently and rethinking takes some time. After that I would like to try my hand at ReaMote, if there is one.
I don't know the effort and the problems associated with ReaMote and so I can't judge what that means for the programming team.
I'm repeating myself now but I would get it right and market that as an extra joker.
Most of my colleagues don't know Reape, let alone ReaMote, but many have a need for more CPU power.
I hope that I have contributed something to the consideration and decision.
(As always, please forgive my bad English)
EugenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #152
EugenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbfort View Post
Just wanted to chime in here...

I've been using ReaMote in some recent projects to offload some of the more CPU hungry mixing/reverb plugins. It's been working quite well and I think I'll continue integrating it into my workflow. Frees up processing power to make more absurdly long FX chains on some instrument channels, hah!

I also use VE Pro for Kontakt/Play related stuff on a separate networked machine.
I get it.. VE Pro for Kontakt/Play is a cool thing for Lybrary etc but ReaMote seems spot on to me for intense virtual synts and heavy audio plugins. A very realistic scenario...
Old 05-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #153
EugenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Absolutely keep it

With ATMOS and large Multi-Channel work happening more often (at higher rates) ... It can be a make or break for some projects ... especially since REAPER already is one of (if not THE) best multi-channel DAWs with 64 channel routing ...

once you start handling busses that big, the ReaMOte functionality is huge.
Exactly these problems I know from my colleagues because they don't have a Reaper and don't know ReaMote at all.
Everyone I show it to asks how is Reaper, can it do everything my DAW can?)))
I believe that ReaMode is the right approach!

Unfortunately I can't report that much from my own practice (I'm relatively new to Reaper) but that will definitely come when the ReaMote is still available.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #154
norbury brook

does ReaMote work better than Audio gridder? I never got it to work well in the past but Audiogridder works very nicely with plugins and VI's too.

https://audiogridder.com/

M
Old 05-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #155
mschnell

I did bot try Audiogridder yet.

AFAIK, with same you need to install a plugin only on the remote box. I don't know how you control the plugin (e.g. where you see the plugin's GUI).

With ReaMote you need to install the plugin in exactly the same way on both boxes. Otherwise it will fail, as it runs the Plugin's GUI on the local box and the audio and Midi on the remote. Hence the look and feel is perfect but if the world is bad, you need to buy two licenses of the plugin.

-Michael
Old 05-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #156
EugenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

AFAIK, with same you need to install a plugin only on the remote box. I don't know how you control the plugin (e.g. where you see the plugin's GUI).

With ReaMote you need to install the plugin in exactly the same way on both boxes. Otherwise it will fail, as it runs the Plugin's GUI on the local box and the audio and Midi on the remote. Hence the look and feel is perfect but if the world is bad, you need to buy two licenses of the plugin.

-Michael
Does the ReaMote plugin have to be installed on both computers? I've been very superficially interested in this until now, but I haven't seen or heard that the plugins need to be on both computers..
Old 05-25-2022, 12:49 AM   #157
mschnell

I meant the plugins to be remoted (by any brand) which need to be installed at both.
You need Reaper on the central computer and a ReaMote plugin host executable (I don't remember the correct name) on the remote machines.

-Michael
Old 05-25-2022, 01:37 AM   #158
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
Michael the great thing about audio gridder is you can use plugins NOT on your main DAW. For example I have my old powercore PCI card in a slave machine and run it via audiogridder into my studio DAW.

you need to have a monitor for your slave machine as it uses some kind of screen capture to show the GUI on the main DAW

M
Old 05-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #159
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
you need to have a monitor for your slave machine as it uses some kind of screen capture to show the GUI on the main DAW
Justin started this thread to get to know if it makes sense to continue supporting ReaMote.

I seem to remember that I (here or elsewhere) did suggest to do an upgrade to ReaMote that provides such screen capture functionality to avoid installing the (or some of the) plugins on both sites.

-Michael
Old 03-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #160
MixR

This thread has been going for a while now...not sure whether it's still relevant or not but as I am using AudioGridder already I thought I would try Reamote as well.

It is a brilliant feature and I echo the sentiment that it would be amazing if it could be developed further or at least maintained.

I will bring to its knees any modern computer deemed "powerful enough" so that alone is no argument against Reamote. However, I did notice that in a busy mix my audio would go out of time (especially when looping) which made me stop using it on that occasion as I coudln't investigate.

AudioGridder works well but it has many quirks that can be frustrating, (especially when working to a deadline) such as consistently not connecting to a server when opening a project or losing connection when opening another project in a new tab (for which it did not find the server in the first place).

The simplicity of Reamote is incredibly appealing. Click on an FX chain > process remotely. Done.

With AudioGridder you have to plan ahead and there's no preset integration because it wraps plugins via its server.

Both are good, both are different enough to warrant their existence and both need improvements IMHO.
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote