Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Liquid Fusion
Human being with feelings

Default How do you like to get your sound when you mix

How do you like to get your sound when you mix?

- Referencing several commercial music CDs
- Scott 20-20KHz bookshelf speakers
- NS10s
- Computer/Acoustic small metal speakers w/ optional small subwoofer - can be turned off
- Yamaha SW216 10" subwoofer - independent of speaker sets - can adj vol to bass becoming present

I play a commercial track and see how it sounds under the three sets of speakers one by one, then 3 sets of speakers mixed together (different volumes), with / without the Yamaha subwoofer dialed in. Sub in = just enough so bass is present.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
karbomusic

There is a particular range of SPL where monitors tend to be their most accurate. When set there, all three different sets of monitors will sound closer to each other than any other SPL (though still slightly different), that's the place to be as far as critical adjustments go; other combinations are just creating a mess of lies to chase for lack of a better term.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
bFooz

I use an analyzer http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ which brings me consistent results no matter what monitoring I use. Of course, I had to learn to read it first.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 AM   #4
bladerunner

It's my opinion that there's no need for more than one set of monitors/speakers. Get used to them enough - 'know' the sound of all your reference tracks through them - and you'll be able to make decisions that translate to any other speakers. I've only ever used one set at a time. This is my 12th year with my Fostex PM 1 MkII's..
Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I use an analyzer http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ which brings me consistent results no matter what monitoring I use. Of course, I had to learn to read it first.
I'm assuming you put it on the master?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Liquid Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There is a particular range of SPL where monitors tend to be their most accurate. When set there, all three different sets of monitors will sound closer to each other than any other SPL (though still slightly different), that's the place to be as far as critical adjustments go; other combinations are just creating a mess of lies to chase for lack of a better term.
All good. See key here is "monitors will sound closer to each other than any other SPL." Thanks. Think I've experienced this dialing in speakers low level volume against each other. NS10s do show mix / EQ flaws better than the others. The other speakers + sub show (and even NS10s) all show overall sound picture.

I used to use one set of speakers and got great results. Clients want to hear bass. Playing commercial CDs, I show them that bass is actually there, however it's not heard on the mains due to rolloff of bass freq with the Scott / NS10 / Computer Acoustic speakers. Dialing in a subwoofer so that bass becomes present with the Commercial CD - shows clients bass is there. My point to mix clients is it's best to emulate the mix of commercial CDs that are like the music at hand.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
All good. See key here is "monitors will sound closer to each other than any other SPL." Thanks. Think I've experienced this dialing in speakers low level volume against each other. NS10s do show mix / EQ flaws better than the others. The other speakers + sub show (and even NS10s) all show overall sound picture.
Gotcha, one set of my monitors just flat out calls out muddy midrange quicker than the other set which call out bad high end really quickly. I can do the job with either set alone, did that for years. I know all three sets of my monitors and room very well but it's more efficient if I can do that part of the job (when I think there is a problem), by comparing the two at my "standard SPL".
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
It's my opinion that there's no need for more than one set of monitors/speakers.
I tend to agree with this. My mix room is also my living/media room, so everything I listen to from my own library or YouTube or Netflix or whatever comes through those same speakers. I know what things sound like in there.

BUT...

...I do have a set of Altec computer speakers I'll switch to at times...

AND...

...I'm gonna plug in the speakers on the TV I'm using as a monitor one of these days...

AND...

...I have plans to add three more sets of speakers cause I've got them lying around...

...and why not? It's gonna look freaking cool!
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
karbomusic

I generally agree to an extent but knowing more than one set of monitors in the same room is a net win over time albeit not required as I mixed for years with only one set. I actually have five sets but most of those are for 'fun' such as my old Dyanco stereo speakers from the 80s.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
I'm assuming you put it on the master?
Yes, on the master but with independent L and R channels. Then I can pan tracks to the opposite sides and see how they compare to each other.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #11
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yes, on the master but with independent L and R channels. Then I can pan tracks to the opposite sides and see how they compare to each other.
Isn't there a way to do this with multiple instances of SPAN that can show their info to each other in the Underlay? I though there was, but never could get it to work. The panning idea is a good alternative though.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 AM   #12
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Isn't there a way to do this with multiple instances of SPAN that can show their info to each other in the Underlay? I though there was, but never could get it to work. The panning idea is a good alternative though.
It can show two spectrums at a time, taking them from any of 8 inputs. I have it set up like this some time ago (drums in 1, bass in 2, gtr in 3 etc.) but was too much work to always switch between them. Now I just solo the track and done, no need to mouse over to the secondary screen.

With default settings in SPAN, there is a slight inconvenience of the slope being set to 4.5 dB, just be aware of that. I use 3 dB to show pink noise as a horizontal line.

Also be aware that panning modes and laws do affect how spectrums are visually related to each other with the panning method.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 AM   #13
foxAsteria

Quote:
It can show two spectrums at a time,
Only 2 eh? Thats's a letdown. Was hoping to see all of my buss mixes overlayed at once. Ok well then I see why you do it that way, thanks.