Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Default Export/render lossless video

Hi people, I spots composing... lately I would like to render my spots with the music but I want the video to be totallly lossless..

I mean, I need the video to be exported with the exact same quality..

I already installed Mffpeg and I already experimented with the rendering video stuff.

But they all loose quality... I really don't even know how to do this in Adobe Premiere Pro...All video programs have all of these different rendering options but non of them have a "Render original Video" option..
if you know what I mean..
Just trying to learn

Thanks a lot
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
TimOBrien

.avi is uncompressed.

Files will be huge tho (HD video is 13Gb per hour uncompressed...)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
.avi is uncompressed.

well my videos are not so high quality and they are not so big per hour for example...

but why there is no option to export the same format and everything as the original, this is what I don't undertsand...

I mean my videos are compressed, I will not gain anything by rendering uncompressed.. I just need the original quality

Thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
amoretam

hello, do you understand my meaning?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
amoretam

hey people come on, just a simple question, is there an option to render the same (original video) with the newly added audio..

thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Kihoalu

The confusion is about the word "Render". Rendering is normally done by de-compressing the video and re-rendering (re-compressing).

What I think you want to do is REPLACE THE AUDIO without re-rendering the Video (dispensing with the decompress/re-compress processing).

Anytime you decompress and re-compress a lossy video scheme you will loose quality (just like decoding an recoding mp3 audio).

I wish to do the same thing (replace the audio track without re-converting the video), but have not found a good way to do it yet. (P.S. - I refuse to use any Adobe product).

Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kihoalu View Post

The confusion is about the word "Render". Rendering is normally done by de-compressing the video and re-rendering (re-compressing).

What I think you want to do is REPLACE THE AUDIO without re-rendering the Video (dispensing with the decompress/re-compress processing).

Anytime you decompress and re-compress a lossy video scheme you will loose quality (just like decoding an recoding mp3 audio).

I wish to do the same thing (replace the audio track without re-converting the video), but have not found a good way to do it yet. (P.S. - I refuse to use any Adobe product).

yeah but I think that even in adobe there is not such "use original" option
or something
Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
TimOBrien

Yeah, it's going to have to be re-encoded.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Kihoalu

If the editing is limited to cutting and splicing at Key Frames (no fades, wipes, cropping etc) or just replacing the audio (which is a separate stream from the video), it should be fairly easy for any Video Editor to produce a lossless "render".

Here is one lossless editor I have found (not tried it yet):

http://www.machetesoft.com/home/about-machete.html

Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
airon

What is the container format of the original video ?

And before you ask, NO Reaper cannot replace the audio in a video or produce a new video with the old video track and a new audio track.

But you can do that with other tools that are free and fast.

So what is the container format of the origianl video ? The choices are mp4, mkv, mov, avi and wmv.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

And before you ask, NO Reaper cannot replace the audio in a video or produce a new video with the old video track and a new audio track.
mmm what do you mean?

The original video is: This is what I see in properties""::::

Length: 7:40.585
Video: 720x408@23.98fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12
Audio: 48000Hz 2ch 16bps

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v54.43.100
Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 720x408, 5919 kb/s
Audio: pcm_s16le (sowt / 0x74776F73), 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1536 kb/s

Loaded from: /Users/AudioSweet/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins/FFmpeg.dylib
FFmpeg configuration:
--enable-gpl
--enable-shared
--arch=i386
--extra-cflags='-m32
-isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
-mmacosx-version-min=10.4
-I/usr/local/include'
--extra-ldflags='-m32
-Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
-mmacosx-version-min=10.4'
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Kihoalu

Quote:
But you can do that with other tools that are free and fast.
So Airon...

What are these other tools that are free and fast? (and amoretam probably wants to know too) I have been looking and trying out things for over a year now (sporadically) and have not found anything I was able to really use.

I have even spent some real money on Power Director only to be disappointed. It could not seem to do lossless video with a simple audio track replacement. In addition it keeps demanding online activation, even though on the box in the store (Fry's) it said online activation was not required. Turns out online activation is not required ONLY if you do not want to edit any .mov or mp4 (or a dozen other) video formats. WHAT LYING JERKS THEY ARE!

Your guidance on these free and fast tools would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
wuffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
.avi is uncompressed.

Hello. First off I would like to clarify that uncompressed video is not an option for normal people.
Actually, HD video uncompressed is over 150MB per second. That makes over 500GB per hour. Any normal harddrive would struggle just to play back the video, this amount of data is not practical.
Therefore you don't see uncompressed video in normal situations, everything is encoded.
In the current case the video is already encoded in h264 format. Probably the container is a mov or mkv file. You should export the audio out of Reaper and find a program that is able to swap audio streams in the container in question.
wuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
Hi people, I spots composing... lately I would like to render my spots with the music but I want the video to be totallly lossless..

I mean, I need the video to be exported with the exact same quality..

I already installed Mffpeg and I already experimented with the rendering video stuff.

But they all loose quality... I really don't even know how to do this in Adobe Premiere Pro...All video programs have all of these different rendering options but non of them have a "Render original Video" option..
if you know what I mean..
Just trying to learn

Thanks a lot
If you do not alter the video, but simply want to combine the existing video with your new audio, this process is called _muxing_ (multiplexing). Video is delivered in containers which include separate audio and video streams along with metadata. REAPER is not configured to support remuxing but you can do this with FFmpeg standalone or driven by a front end program. Or you can use AVIdemux.

The process would be to pull the video into REAPER, compose your audio, then render just the audio without the video. Then use FFmpeg or AVIdemux to replace the existing audio with your new version.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
If you do not alter the video, but simply want to combine the existing video with your new audio, this process is called _muxing_ (multiplexing). Video is delivered in containers which include separate audio and video streams along with metadata. REAPER is not configured to support remuxing but you can do this with FFmpeg standalone or driven by a front end program. Or you can use AVIdemux.

The process would be to pull the video into REAPER, compose your audio, then render just the audio without the video. Then use FFmpeg or AVIdemux to replace the existing audio with your new version.

Fran
could you please explain how to do it with FFmpeg, since I already have it, (I believe)... I mean, is it the same FFmpeg I dragged to reaper user plugins folder...
I did not know you could use it standalone
Thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #16
Fran Guidry

FFmpeg is a command line tool, so you need to be prepared to work at the CMD prompt in Windows, modify your PATH, and so on. How about a tutorial on AVIdemux instead?

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2012/...ak-q3hd-audio/

In this video I'm using Audacity to extract and modify the audio, then recombining them in Avidemux without transcoding the video. The same process will work with audio you create or modity in REAPER. Naturally it's important to keep the lengths and start points the same.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kihoalu View Post

Logic can do this, if you on a Mac (replaces the audio)
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #18
Michelob

If you want to get exactly the same parameters for the video render as the original you worked on into Reaper :

In the Render screen, video format, you've got a little arrow that gives you this option, at the bottom of the list :

Get width/height/framerate from current video item.

But this is not enough : also chek the video bitrate in the original file properties and adjust it at the same place.

Sorry for my poor english, coming from the french forum.

Michel
Michelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
airon

Ok, there are some tools to do this, though most of what I know is on Windows.

OSX

The failsafe method for MP4 and QUicktime files is the old Quicktime 7 Player in pro mode. That always works but costs you a $30 license from Apple.

The procedure requires a rendered WAV or encoded AAC/MP3 audio file, and the original video file:
  • Open both the audio and video into QT.
  • Show Movie Properties on the video
  • Highlight the audio track and click Delete.
  • Switch to the audio and select all, copy
  • Go to the video, park the play head on the correct in point(the beginning in your case)
  • In the Edit menu, choose Add to Movie.
  • Check sync and such, then do a Save As (flattened movie)

Windows

The procedure above works in the Windows version of the Quicktime player, in Pro mode of course.

Free tools for muxing audio and producing a new video with the original video track and the new audio are divided by the formats they produce.
  1. MP4
    YAMB , an MP4box frontend. It can extract and combine elements from different files and mux the result in to a final file. MP4 files cannot use uncompressed WAV though. Make an AAC encode of that first with a tool like the Nero AAC encoder and one of its many, many frontends. Google is your friend.
  2. MKV
    MKVToolnix - pretty much does the same, though MKV files can carry almost everything under the sun, including uncompressed WAV audio.

The Doom9 forums are an excellent resource for this as well. A lot of very knowledgable people hang out there, as well as software authors for video-related tools.

airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Kihoalu

Thanks Airon...

For your links and advice. I am sure that amoretam and I can make good use of the tools and advice.

Quote:
Google is your friend
- Yes, and sometimes there is too much "fractionating" info with general searches leading down many rabbit holes.
.... P.S. - It's neither here or there, but I use StartPage to reduce the amount of info Google is collecting on me.

Quote:
Doom9 forums are an excellent source
- Yes, so much so that 3 years ago I mirrored practically the whole site (using HTTrack) to a local directory (using someone else's very broadband connection). Reason being that my Audio / Video editing computer will NEVER be connected to the internet so I needed an off-line browsing copy. However I got lost in that info at the time as well. I did spend some fair amount of time with AVIdemux but could not get it to do what I wanted at the time (3 years ago), perhaps a second go at AVIdemux in also in order.

Gave the whole video editing thing a break for a few years and am now going at it again.

Going over to your thread about "Video with Reaper" was also instructive, so thanks for these (and those) pointers.

P.P.S - Oops - I also did not realise this was the OSX forum, I am PC based, but hey, you are giving good advice for both platforms!

Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #21
blackshage

Joyoshare media cutter can render the video without quality loss, as long as you don't convert the video format
blackshage is offline   Reply With Quote