Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
sramsay
Human being with feelings

Default Controlling Multiple Synths with Megababy

I've seen videos where people control multiple instances of REAPER's sampler with Megababy, and I've seen people use it to control a single VSTi (both synths and drum machines).

But is there any way to use Megababy to control multiple synths in the FX chain?

In other words, suppose I have one synth that has a kick loaded up, another with a snare, another with a hi-hat, and so forth. Is there any way to make it so keys in megababy are mapped to different synth instances?

Perhaps this is just insane, but I like to use different synths to create different percussion elements, and I don't want to bounce them to audio and turn them into samples, because I want to be able to tweak the sounds of the different elements of the kit as I go along.

See what I mean?
sramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
domzy

I'm assuming you are talking about VSTis which don't give you the option to restrict their note range natively? In which case you could put each kit element on a separate track, send to each of these tracks from the megababy track, put a MIDI filter plugin (JS MIDI note filter for example) before each VSTi and restrict the note range accordingly - C2 for kick, or whatever
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
sramsay

I guess I wasn't thinking about whether the VSTi can restrict its note range natively, but yeah -- I guess I would have to do that, so the instrument doesn't just map 88 keys or whatever.

But let's say I put instruments on separate tracks. Wouldn't I need to tell Megababy what channel to send MIDI on? Or something like that? Like, "map this particular key to this instrument on this (MIDI) channel . . ." And then routes to the particular tracks?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramsay View Post
But let's say I put instruments on separate tracks. Wouldn't I need to tell Megababy what channel to send MIDI on? Or something like that? Like, "map this particular key to this instrument on this (MIDI) channel . . ." And then routes to the particular tracks?
no, not if notes are assigned to different drums
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
sramsay

That worked! Megababy routed to individual synth tracks with MIDI Note Filter at the front of each chain.

Thanks!

REAPER, clearly, can do anything.

Now if I could just get my fans to stop spinning . . .