Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
heartwood
Human being with feelings

Default Midi, Yamaha MODX and M-Audio 2x2m

I am very appreciative of all the help I receive from the folks on this forum. Well, here I am again with more woes.

I am dealing with audio that I am not supposed to be hearing. I have recorded a midi performance from the MODX. According to the videos that I have watched, I am not supposed to hear any audio from the source recorded midi item until I route it to another track. But I do. As a result, I am getting a dual playback when the midi is routed to a second track. It is in mono and compromising the sound of the stereo track that is receiving the output from the midi track.

I am using the MODX USB connection for midi and using the M-Audio2x2m interface for audio. I am seeing the meters on the M-Audio meters light up when the midi item is playing from the source track.

There is so much I simply don't understand, but way too invested in the potential outcome to give up now. Once again, I need help for things that I have not been able to figure out for myself. Thanks!
heartwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
I am dealing with audio that I am not supposed to be hearing. I have recorded a midi performance from the MODX. According to the videos that I have watched, I am not supposed to hear any audio from the source recorded midi item until I route it to another track. But I do. As a result, I am getting a dual playback when the midi is routed to a second track. It is in mono and compromising the sound of the stereo track that is receiving the output from the midi track.
Can you please post more details or screenshots about how the setup and routing of these Tracks currently looks like, exactly?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
heartwood

I will work on documenting the details and post them. I am not very clear on how to post screen shots, so it may take just a little longer than average to get this information posted. Thanks
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
heartwood

Default The answer was in the details

Hi Solger,

Thanks for asking me to post all details. As a result, I believe that I figured out the solution, or as least a work around until I gain more experience.

As I was checking and writing out the midi and receiving and audio channels everything checked out exactly as demonstrated in one of Kenny G's videos (love this man). I then realized that the output in the midi track was being sent back to the MoDX as is necessary. But, the M-audio interface, to compensate for latency, has a variable knob for choosing a mix of hearing pure USB signal or the direct external sound source.

As recommended, I was at about 50%. So, on playback I was hearing both the recorded audio track and the MoDX sound source again. Almost like if I had "local" on. I changed the mix to 100% USB and the problem all but disappeared. I then changed the midi send on the midi channel to "no output" and heard silence on the midi track.

Turning to all USB doesn't give me the healthiest recording gain, but backing off increases my recording levels with only a slight high pitch pulsating sound that I assume is coming from an inexpensive audio interface. Or from a lousy, inexpensive audio interface. :-)

Anyway, I have so much to learn. My first CD was all acoustic and recorded on a TASCAM 24 Track machine and the imported into reaper for editing, mixing and mastering. Reaper worked flawlessly and made me thing I knew what was doing. This time around, I am tracking with the computer and working with substantial midi performances, for the first time. The truth quickly surfaced: I don't have a clue what I am doing. The folks on this forum are keeping me afloat in what seem, to me, to be deep waters.

Once again, thanks for being willing to dig deeper into my chaos. Your prompting for info made the issue standout, whereas before I couldn't see it.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
solger

Great to hear that it's working now