Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-10-2024, 07:21 AM   #1
Scripter
Human being with feelings

Default Latency + Don't show FX Browser

Hello im pretty new here,
actually my first post. But well glad i have found the way.
Im coming from Studio One, have used FL Studio before, but now finally wanna give reaper a shot, with the goal to stay eventually.
I've started configuring everything to my workflow needs but there are 2 things a couldn't figure out yet, hopefully anyone can help.

1) Clicking on FX Insert (left click) always opens the fx browser popup. If possible i don't want the fx browser to popup but instead the QuickFX Categories section. Is it possible to configure that somehow trough script or so?

2) Im using a RME UCXii interface and with Studio One i can get to nearly 0s seconds latency when monitoring. With reaper even on 64 buffer size i cant get lower than 5 seconds. I tried following various tutorials but haven't found a solution yet. I want to be able to hear the insert fx of my channel while monitoring.

Best regards and thanks in advance.
Scripter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:58 AM   #2
Stella645

I assume you are aware right click opens the QuickFX menu?
There is currently no way to swap the left/right click functionality afaik though there was a really old feature request to do that.

Re latency, assuming your audio settings are correct it could be that you need to purposely keep high latency plugs out of the recording/monitoring path. If you use high latency plugs on master or monitor FX everything is going through them.
You can put them on a pre master group channel and then route the recording track direct to master.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 08:55 AM   #3
Scripter

@Stella645
1) Yes im aware of that. But is there any way to prevent the fx browser getting focus each time i try to insert a plugin?

2) I was monitoring with the exact same chain as in studio one, but still the latency is a whole lot different.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:02 AM   #4
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripter View Post
@Stella645
1) Yes im aware of that. But is there any way to prevent the fx browser getting focus each time i try to insert a plugin?

2) I was monitoring with the exact same chain as in studio one, but still the latency is a whole lot different.
1) Not sure I understand what you mean....with default settings if I right click and choose a plug from the menu only the plugin opens.

2) I believe Studio One has a dual latency path for monitoring. In Reaper you have to make one.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:50 AM   #5
Scripter

1) So there is no way to prevent the fx browser popup on click? Thats a pitty cause its pretty annoying.

2) How do i setup a dual monitoring path? And what exactly do you mean with that?

Thanks a lot for your replys.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:38 AM   #6
Stella645

1. You're not explaining any further so still don't know what you mean. If the browser didn't open how do you expect to choose a plug? ANd if the answer is from a quick pick menu then the solution is to right click instead of left.

2. I explained that already.....make a pre master and bypass it for monitored tracks.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:19 PM   #7
bolgwrad

You can avoid opening the FX browser by saving your preferred FX as chains, even a single FX, from the track FX panel and then use the right-click menu on the FX slots to select them. The particular settings are preserved.

I often use (instance renamed) containers for multiple FXChains. These can all be organised in subfolders or whatever in the (win)/User/Reaper/FxChains folder. You must enable 'Show FX chains' in the fx browser to do this, though.