Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #161
shedboyxx
Human being with feelings

Default Great job Kenny

I know you've already heard from appreciative users but I was inspired to say thanks and great job after going through the 'Using Toolbars' section of Reaper 4 Explained. There have been plenty of other discoveries as I've gone through the videos one by one but I had to pause at the end of the last one I watched.

I often laugh in certain situations where I see something being done that is just too cool. Most of the times it's while watching ridiculously talented drummers or other musicians but also when I see something that is just a cool way of doing something. Kind of a hyper "A-HA!" moment.

I'm still a complete noob at Reaper but really appreciate the fine work Kenny has done with these videos. I'm sure this series of videos will be watched by me more than a few times, each time helping me more and more to learn and eventually create.

Excellent work and hats off to Kenny and Groove3

Jim M.

Edit: Oops - I just realized I'm in the Tips and Tricks section. Admins feel free to move this to the right place. Kenny - you get the picture
shedboyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #162
Kenny Gioia

Thank you for the kind words.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #163
Gravenhurst

Default Awesome

Kenny's lessons are absolutely top notch. I learned in three evenings what would otherwise have taken me weeks of trial and error. They are the best musical investment I've made - after Reaper itself, that is. I teach at a music college and I'm recommending Reaper and Kenny's videos to everyone.

I've moved on from Tracktion, a program I love and have made several albums on, but i need something much more sophisticated now and Reaper is perfect for me - the program, ethos and community couldn't be better, and the price is unbeatable. This is after having recently had a total nightmare dealing with Mackie, whose firmware upgrades ruined my Onyx firewire interface; their customers actually had to petition them for a Win 7 driver only for it to cripple their equipment, and the 'techmail' people don't bother to answer customers emails. The whole vibe of this place couldn't be more different.
Gravenhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #164
ashasha

I'm a huge fan of training videos and have a very wide background as a viewer. I've seen good, I've seen bad, but I've rarely seen great.

These are fantastic. Seriously just watch a couple of the examples on groove3 if you are up in the air on this. I ended up buying a couple to get started last night and couldn't stop watching. I didn't retain much, but I can go right back and rehash it and I don't think that I'll get bored. Pace is great, but the examples you use make me think that every single thing is something I want to use.
ashasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #165
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashasha View Post
I'm a huge fan of training videos and have a very wide background as a viewer. I've seen good, I've seen bad, but I've rarely seen great.

These are fantastic. Seriously just watch a couple of the examples on groove3 if you are up in the air on this. I ended up buying a couple to get started last night and couldn't stop watching. I didn't retain much, but I can go right back and rehash it and I don't think that I'll get bored. Pace is great, but the examples you use make me think that every single thing is something I want to use.
Thank you!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #166
jonespnice

Default -18dbs=0

Hey Kenny, I'm really enjoying your videos but I have one question, in your Pro Tools 11 tips and tricks video (Recording Levels) where you describe how to setup the faders so that -18dbs will show up on the faders as zero, I was wondering if there is a way to do that too in Reaper?
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #167
planetnine

Meters not faders?

There is no offset available on REAPER track meters. Pity, I'd like a nominal zero at -18dB FSD.

I'd also like dB graticules on the faders, too, but I think I'm on my own with that. Another story, another feature request...

>
Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #168
jonespnice

Sorry, yes I mean meters.
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #169
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonespnice View Post
Hey Kenny, I'm really enjoying your videos but I have one question, in your Pro Tools 11 tips and tricks video (Recording Levels) where you describe how to setup the faders so that -18dbs will show up on the faders as zero, I was wondering if there is a way to do that too in Reaper?
Yes. Go to Preferences - Appearance - VU Meters/Fader settings.

You can change the minimum and maximum settings there.

Maybe set the maximum to -12.

The only negative is that if it hits -12, it will show red. But you'll still be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post

There is no offset available on REAPER track meters. Pity, I'd like a nominal zero at -18dB FSD.

>
Amen.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #170
jonespnice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yes. Go to Preferences - Appearance - VU Meters/Fader settings.

You can change the minimum and maximum settings there.

Maybe set the maximum to -12.

The only negative is that if it hits -12, it will show red. But you'll still be safe.
I never thought to do it that way but it makes sense, thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #171
Kenny Gioia

It's a bit different but still works.

Reaper isn't as bad as Pro Tools as -18 doesn't look quite as low.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #172
buggyboy

These training videos look really good.

Definitely looks like what I need to finally and completely break the ice with Reaper.

Thanks for making them!
buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #173
Kenny Gioia

Thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #174
cochaisea

Default nice aritle

Good post. Thank you very much.
cochaisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #175
viper-2

Default Automation

Kenny, as you have been told rightfully so, these video tutorials are top notch.

A question I have while watching the Reaper explained series [automation] section. When you cut the envelope point or time selection what keys are used to paste?
viper-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #176
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper-2 View Post
Kenny, as you have been told rightfully so, these video tutorials are top notch.

A question I have while watching the Reaper explained series [automation] section. When you cut the envelope point or time selection what keys are used to paste?
I believe that Command (on mac) or Control (on PC) should Paste anything copied or cut.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #177
BobReg

I just signed up for the Groove3.com streaming and watched the Kenny Gioia videos. Awesome stuff!! I learned so much. Well done Kenny.

Also found many other videos by Kenny and others. The place is a gold mine. Love the theory stuff as well. Education is always a good investment and this is some of the best money I've spent in years.
BobReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #178
Kenny Gioia

Thanks!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #179
Jacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I believe today is the last day for all the Reaper videos on sale.
Hi Kenny, I've been looking forward to absorbing the manual - and the cost of a recent Cubase Elements upgrade which turned out to be a bad idea - before buying your "Reaper Explained" Tutorial download. Is there a deadline?

Thanks
Jacos

Last edited by Jacos; 07-03-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: punctuation:)
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #180
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacos View Post
Hi Kenny, I've been looking forward to absorbing the manual - and the cost of a recent Cubase Elements upgrade which turned out to be a bad idea - before buying your "Reaper Explained" Tutorial download. Is there a deadline?

Thanks
Jacos
That sale was over two years ago. You can still buy it but I'm not sure about a 2 year rain check.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #181
timothys_monster

Hey Kenny,

have you already had a look into the new "Contextual Toolbars" from the recent SWS version? Maybe you could create a tutorial on these ones.
I can remember your tutorials on screensets which were just perfectly user friendly - so maybe your style of explaining things would shed a little more light into this thing in combination with the ReaWiki entry.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #182
geep

Default recording- video 7

The videos are really useful, thanks! However, I've just watched video 7 about recording, and I'm confused by the whole 'punching' thing.

Did you record a guitar piece and then record more guitar over the top of it? I was expecting you to just play the guitar and record it in Reaper, but then you start talking about 'punching' and time selections and I got completely lost!

I don't understand what you mean by 'punching', could you explain, please! When you pressed record, Reaper appeared to be playing some pre-recorded guitar in the item, then you punched some more guitar into the second section of the item, then Reaper keeps playing, and then afterwards you punched some more guitar into the third section of the item. Although I have described this I don't really know what I have described or what you were trying to achieve with this process. I only started using Reaper a few days ago and haven't used any DAWs before, so nearly everything is confusing me at the moment
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #183
bluzkat

geep,

Take a deep breath, no need to try an understand everything all at once.

Punch recording is explained in the Reaper User Guide in sections 3.15-3.17. Hopefully this will give you a better understanding.

If you haven't downloaded the User Guide already, you can get it here...

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php.

Hope this helped, at least a little.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #184
geep

Thanks. I read the section about punch recording and I get it now. I've connected my keyboard to my laptop and have been able to do some sort of MIDI thing with it - the notes I record from my keyboard sound electronic, which I guess is the MIDI commands. But I just want to record from my keyboard and for the recording to sound how my keyboard sounds. From what I've read in the guide, this is audio recording rather than MIDI recording. Which section of the guide explains how to do this? When I try to select the recording input on the track, my keyboard shows in the Input:MIDI list but not the Input:Mono list, so perhaps this is the problem?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #185
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep View Post
When I try to select the recording input on the track, my keyboard shows in the Input:MIDI list but not the Input:Mono list, so perhaps this is the problem?
No, it isn't. We're now talking about recording audio, which would therefore require a connection from an audio output on your keyboard to your soundcard/audio interface (nothing to do with your MIDI/USB connection). REAPER has no way of knowing what instrument is plugged into an audio input.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #186
geep

So I can't use the MIDI cable to get audio from my keyboard to my laptop? I think the only other two sockets on my keyboard are Phones and Sustain. I wasn't planning to get an audio interface yet, is that the only way to record audio from my keyboard to my laptop?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #187
Fex

Quote:
So I can't use the MIDI cable to get audio from my keyboard to my laptop?
No. MIDI is not audio. All that passes through that cable are MIDI messages, which hold very little data (though you could also send SysEx messages).
Quote:
I wasn't planning to get an audio interface yet, is that the only way to record audio from my keyboard to my laptop?
You could run an audio cable from the keyboard's headphones output to the laptop's mic/line input, if it has one. However, do consider getting a very basic audio interface. Google Behringer U-Control - those things cost peanuts.

Last edited by Fex; 01-03-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #188
JHughes
Banned

What Fex said, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CMS.../dp/B000068O36
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote